Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

any ideas for a veteran + grenadier based army?
Closed Thread
Old 08 Jan 2006, 22:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default any ideas for a veteran + grenadier based army?

to avoid a high $ cost, im trying to make an army out of 1.) two squads of ten hardened veterans 2.) one squad of ratling 3.) two squads of grenadiers 4.) one leman russ 5.) command squad 6.)some allied grey knight buddies
you guys know if this could ever work (the idea of not actually using a typical troops choice)
When Chuck Norris has sex with a man, it is not because he is gay, but because he has run out of women.
Since 1940, the year Chuck Norris was born, roundhouse kick related deaths have increased 13,000 percent.
There are no disabled people. Only people who have met Chuck Norris.
Chuck Norris does not have AIDS but he gives it to people anyway.
The chief export of Chuck Norris is pain.
On the 7th day, God rested.... Chuck Norris took over.
Old 08 Jan 2006, 23:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: any ideas for a veteran + grenadier based army?

You are going to want some anti-tank to go with that-- 1 Leman Russ isnt going to cut it. When Imperial Guard and Grey Knights are allied together, the purpose of the Guard is to provide long-range anti-tank and force of numbers, niether of which your guard have. I would drop the grey knights and at least get some misslelaunchers/autocannons. Another tank and some Chimeras would be a good idea too so that your Russ doesnt disappear in the first or second turn.

But remember if you want a small force then IG is simply not for you....you wont be satisfied with the results.
Old 08 Jan 2006, 23:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

wat about putting a lascannon team in each of the vet squads and make one of the grenadier squads melta; then add another russ?
the problem is my parents dont want me to spend more so i cant get a big army...
When Chuck Norris has sex with a man, it is not because he is gay, but because he has run out of women.
Since 1940, the year Chuck Norris was born, roundhouse kick related deaths have increased 13,000 percent.
There are no disabled people. Only people who have met Chuck Norris.
Chuck Norris does not have AIDS but he gives it to people anyway.
The chief export of Chuck Norris is pain.
On the 7th day, God rested.... Chuck Norris took over.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 08:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You are better off with autocannons and missile launchers, i only put lascannons in squads when everything else is well represented. The grenadiers wont do much with a melta unless they have a chimera or deep strike, and i dont think you need more units besides the Grey Knights starting the game off the table. Like i said, making this work well is gonna require some cash. Also, we really need an army list or at least some specific Grey Knight choices before we can tell you much. From what im reading you must be planning on having a decent number of grey knight allies, so there is a lot i dont know about what you will have to work with.

On a pleasant note, kudos for looking past the dumb look of the ratlings and seeing their value as a unit. Some things you will read say they are too weak, only good for their rifle, well YEAH of course they are only good with their rifle, its what they do! If you like the models okay, then good for you, if you dont then i suggest Skaven jezzails.