Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Armored Company
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jan 2006, 21:52   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Armored Company

Im thinking of starting up an Armored Company IG army and ditching my Tau. I guess I just don't like needing to use their huge mobility to survive.

I read the rules for the Armored Company in the Astronomicon and have been fascinated by it since I love tanks.
Just wondering if there is anything I should know. Will I be able to play it at my local GW shop? Will it be legal for tournies? Whats the best makeup for an AC list? I haven't been able to find too much on them really. I am still fairly new to 40k itself. Ive played my friend with my 750pt tau list about 8 times and havent really liked them.

Thanks,
Simp
Old 07 Jan 2006, 22:00   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Armored Company

The list is pretty much tourny-legal.

The best way to make an AC force is to keep it cheap, but flexible. Give your HQ the Exterminator or Conqueror, so you have a use for that Bs 4 (Exterminator is best, as it is the most points-efficient tank). If you really want a Vanquisher, take it as an Elite (still Bs 4, but cheaper than when taken as a HQ).

Sponsons are vital. Always take Heavy Bolter sponsons, regardless of your hull weapon... which should be a Lascannon whenever possible. This means that even if you lose your main gun, your tanks can still take on anything the enemy throws at you.

Touch the Doctrines, and die. You cannot afford to waste points on some one-trick gimmick that you'll only need one game in twenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 07 Jan 2006, 22:25   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Whats your take on adding infantry (armored fists) to the list? Keep it vehicles only or is it beneficial to have the infantry. Or should I just stick with Russes, Hellhounds and Griffons and maybe a Destroyer Tank Hunter?
Old 08 Jan 2006, 00:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This is sorta cheating, but an easy way to add infintry to AC is w/ allied WH Storm Troopers and maybe a Dominion unit
Old 08 Jan 2006, 00:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Armoured Company is chapter approved (the GW one not the armoured battlegroup from forgeworld) but it presents a bit of a problem. Either your opponent fields lots of anti-tank, which will making things hard for you, or they dont have that much anti-tank and cant really do anything about your army. So either way someone isnt going to have much fun. For this reason a lot of people wont want to play you in a pickup game.

*now this isnt universal, you are bound to find an even match here and there and some people dont mind AC, but the above is something to take into consideration. Talk the people where you play and see what they think about it. Remember though that if someone knows they will be facing AC and they can specialize against it, you will be annihilated.
Old 08 Jan 2006, 00:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmm...

We have established it's tourney legal, and pretty fair, but fun levels are questionable.

I would say that tanks like Conquerors would make the game a bit more fun for the opponent, as its weaker, and Amroured fists and Storm Troopers will make it a bit more Guardy.

Of, course, If I were you...
Demolishers, Vanquishers, Basilsiks, and Griffons! No Fast Attack! No Wimps!

Again, no one will be willing to play you then, so, go with a light tank company. Everyone has fun thataway.

I personally don't really like allying if its only one player, but its a feasible and practical solution and certainly unique.

Good luck!
Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 08 Jan 2006, 00:52   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't really thought of the list as being unfair or unfun to my opponents or to myself if they tailor their lists. I'll have to take that into consideration as this would be my main army. I'm just not too fond of the stringent requirements for infantry platoons in vanilla IG.
Old 08 Jan 2006, 01:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Oh, don't think they are unfair! They are made by an excellent group of people, putting utmost care to ensure fairness!

Anyways, I would enjoy playing Heavey Tank AC; if a Guard player knows what he's doing, he can accomplish anything!

However, rookies are scared by tanks, because, admit it, theyre intimidating, and they don't know that a quick pot-shot off a lascannon puts 200 odd Demolisher points down the tubes

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 08 Jan 2006, 01:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Take advantage of the list and get leman russ executioners...they are awesome
Old 08 Jan 2006, 04:49   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So what do you guys think of this quick list for roundabout 1500pts. Havent really calculated everything out too much yet though and I don't know anything about the wargear options.

HQ: Leman Russ Conquerer with hull bolter and sponsoon bolters
Elite:Tank Ace: Leman Russ Vanquisher with lascannon with sponsoon bolters
Troops:
Leman Russ hull bolter sponsoon bolters
fast attack:
hellhound
hellhound
heavy:
Griffon