Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warrior Weapon Guardsman Army
Closed Thread
Old 06 Jan 2006, 16:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Warrior Weapon Guardsman Army

I have been pondering making a cool IG army hailing from a rather brutal and rough world (Zarania, I imagine it being called, covered in howling wilderness, having a lot of mega fauna with dangerous predators, and fortress cities being the centre of a brisk slave trade where gladiator games are held to appease the riotous population), using the Warrior Weapons doctrine. I am planning to use Cadian torsos and convert the arms with some kind of wrist blades and replacing the helmets with hunting masks a la the Predator.

Now, I would like some kind of input on what other doctrines to use. Is the WWpns doctrine viable at all? Should I use it with Light Infantry, Hardened Fighters or something else? I do not want to use tanks, if at all possible. Would it be possible to make up for deficient long range fire power with Sentinel mounted weapons? I'd very much like to convert my own Sentinels with the Hardened Fighter Doctrine to be like exo-skeleton combat walkers.

Comments and suggestions, if you please.

The Eldar Rule:

"If any model with the special rule Eldar! is on the battlefield the player may instantly declare victory and arrogantly storm out of the room. They may also claim any models, cash or cookies that are in the room."

I want to put to the record that I wholeheartedly support this rule and think GW should adopt it whenever they redo the Eldar codex. Cash and cookies are always good, and arrogantly storming out is an underrated pasttime
Old 06 Jan 2006, 18:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy
Default Re: Warrior Weapon Guardsman Army

sounds neat. light infantry and HF for sure. i would try camoline and maybe orgryns to keep the fluff going. you dont need tanks as long as you make proficient use of your heavy weapon platoons. the sentinels will help out too. i can relate to your ideas myself, so i will suggest you use catachan legs and arms to give them a feral, woodsy feel.

as for the sentinels, if you couls modify an penitent engine into a sentinel, that would be the coolest thing ever,and awesome to see on the feild.

good luck.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 06 Jan 2006, 18:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hardened fighters and veterans I think. Light infantry would allow infiltration of heavy weapons sqds, so that might also be a bonus to you...at least in city fight and jungle fight.

Perhaps chem-inhailers would boost staying power since they will be mostly light arms.

Tell us more as you progress. I'm building a penal legion myself, so it would be interesting to hear more of another back fluff army being built.

Wanax
Old 06 Jan 2006, 20:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Wanax:
So you recommend I use Heavy Weapons Platoons then... That takes up a Doctrine Point, though... Can massed sentinels not be used as a substitute? I've never seen it done myself, have you? Then again, I could do some cool conversions of heavy weapons troopers infiltrating... They do count as Guard Infantry, do they?
But Veterans? They're good for sure, but they are more shooty than CC, and this army would be mostly about knife work, so to speak.

Gorcyca:
I've been contemplating chameloine, but think that perhaps that is better suited for a defensive army that will hang back and shoot. Then again, if I fight missions that do not allow for Infiltration, I'll need all the cover saves i can get as I move up to attack.
Ogryns are very fluffy for the Zaranians, I think (Gladiator Ogryns!), but they are very immobile without transport Chimeras. And I don't like the models. Maybe I could scratch Build them as Ambulls with grafted on Ripper guns...
The sentinels need some work yes... Maybe the PE can give me some useable parts...

So what do you guys think about Close Order Drill? Is it worthwhile in a force like this one? I would be good to have, methinks, and you'll likely bunch up in CC anyways...

Thanks for the feedback, I'll let you know what happens next.

The Eldar Rule:

"If any model with the special rule Eldar! is on the battlefield the player may instantly declare victory and arrogantly storm out of the room. They may also claim any models, cash or cookies that are in the room."

I want to put to the record that I wholeheartedly support this rule and think GW should adopt it whenever they redo the Eldar codex. Cash and cookies are always good, and arrogantly storming out is an underrated pasttime
Old 06 Jan 2006, 21:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Ive created a warrior weapons regiment myself. my fluff is that they come from a planet called norsca, which has been quarenteened for un-known reasons, the only people allowed in and out being memebers of the inquisition. and un-known spacemarine chapter currently holds the planet to enfocre this.
the planet is used by the greyknights as a source of recruits, the inhabitants being wild and fera, regarding the greyknights as gods. they form up giant armies and constantly battle eachother to appease these gods. then, once per generation, the gods select a few thousand of the best warriors(usually all the pskyers) and take them with them. then they get dropped off in an ork infested planet, where they are tried and dwindeled down to the few men capable of becomeing greyknights. so basicly what i used was:
Warrior weapons
Rough Riders
Xenos fighter orks(or hardened fighters if this is before they get shipped off)
Light infantry
Stormtroopers

The first 4 should be obvious, the last one being inquisitorial stormtroopers being sent in to help them out when things get dicey(if not all the candidates get killed and the campaign is useless) and too take out any tanks, since the warriors are limited to pistols, meltaguns, and the odd heavy weapon. all of these are, ofcourse, gifts from the great gods themselves.

to make them i combined cadian , catachan and space marines assault marine sprues(get a set of arms for 1) i used all the catachan with knives and swords, cut up their lasguns a bit to make them shorter, and then added the cadian bayonets to the ends to make them apear like half pistol half knife. then i gave the chainsword and pistols from the cadian sprue to the squad leaders. then i made 'elite' squads by using mostly cadian sprues with fillied down)(to make them look thiner) space marine assualt arms. then i threw in some wolfy looking stuff from my fantasy empire army and painted them norsy style. i used empire knights for the roughriders.

in the game i use hordes of infantry with deepsriking stormtroopers as tank hunters.(they're not very close combaty but i need someone to kill tanks) i also throw in the ocational greyknight squad.

fluff wise its not very similar to yours, so you could use sentinels as tank hunters instead of stormtroopers, but the conversion bits still apply to your army. aslo, close order drill does work good, but usually only the first turn or so. for the ogryns..... orks in mega armour? could be represented as humans in mega gladiator combat suits, sentinels being much bigger tougher versions of it. or you could convert fantasy orgers into ogryns, i saw an article on it but cant remember where. hope that helps.

Old 06 Jan 2006, 21:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think your background idea is absolutely awesome cool. I have tinkered around with assaulty-oriented guard armies in my time, and I want to offer some of my questionable wisdom if it helps:

-warrior weapons is really not the best way to trick out a smaller guard force for close combat. with larger armies it becomes more viable, but when you do the bean counting, 2 x 5 man-squads of stormtrooper grenadiers take up 2 troop slots, cost about 60 points each (sorry no codex handy) and fill up your requirement... think of them as the gladiatorial prison guards or something. Command squads and veteran squads can switch to CCW/Laspistol combos for free rather than paying 2 points per model like a infantry squad with 'warrior weapons' has to. besides this, a command squad can have a priest (some kind of death-cult leader of the gladiator people), a psyker ("Oddball Steve" who talks to himself in the arena pits or whatever), and a commissar (the administratum would no doubt want to keep an eye on such an unruly army) which makes for a very nasty assault group.
Veterans can also arm with laspist/CCW for free. a full 10 man squad of these guys with a powerfist or powersword sarge (maybe an honorifica if you can squeeze the points in) will charge the best assault armies quite unflinchingly.

Ogres are obviously a great assault unit, and certainly fit in your type of army idea. I'm pretty sure that the huge sidekick guy in the Gladiator movie was an Ogryn.

the doctrines I would suggest would be Stormtroopers and Grenadiers (just to get your troop requirement out of the way), add on hardened fighters, ogryns or veterans (so that you can make more nasty assault squads), and you have 1 spare doctrine with several options...

iron discipline is good if you can deal with all the vox-casters involved

die hards is good if you are really counting on your assault troops to get your kills, it's pretty cheap too.

chem inhalers are a good option if you hate falling back, but they are pricey

carapace is good, but also pricey, if you are fighting certain opponents with AP5 weapons as their norm.

priests or psykers can be a nice 'fluff' addition to a command squad, but in my experience are not worth the points or the doctrine slot.

it kind of depends on what figures you have available.

---- the other approach --- if you have the figs available, and if you are planning on making a really massive army where your veterans and command will not be enough --- is to take warrior weapons, lots and lots of infantry squads, and light infantry upgrades so you can start that much closer to the enemy. forget the grenadiers and stormtroopers, get ogryns, priests, roughriders, warrior weapons, and hardened fighters
Old 06 Jan 2006, 21:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

squigs for dinner: did you mean grenadiers or stormtroopers? because taking both seems out of place in a C army. also, if you read the rules for WW it says any guardsmen who dont have access to the armory and are normall armed with lasguns. so you dont ahve to pay to give it to your command squads, or any attached advisors, you dont ahve to buy it for your stormtroopers (since they have lasguns) and veteran sargents have them anyways so its only 9 WW weapons per squad. 8 if you take a special weapon and 6 if you take a heavy weapon aswell, so its not that expensive, and it really boosts your fighting(one extra CC attack and a free shot when charging in, so four attacks on a charge) also, your hardened fighters sargeant is not an officer, so he cant take power swords or fists.

not taking WW would be a very unfluffy move for his army, and if you want an CC guard army its a very useful doctrine.

Old 06 Jan 2006, 22:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Squigs, I know that WW is probably not the best way to go about creating a balanced assult guard formation. I'm just wondering wether anyone thinks the WW option is viable at all, before starting to convert dozens of minis. Thanks for the input though. I'm thinking a massive force or nothing at all. Hm ,these guys would actually make a perfect rebel army, kind of like the slave rebellion of Spartacus... Many musings lie ahead of me.

Thanks again for all the interest you guys have shown!

The Eldar Rule:

Old 06 Jan 2006, 23:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

this is a bit off topic, and I dont have a codex (they all live at the guy with the big basement table's house) but I am pretty sure that sargeants of hardened veteran squads are an exception to the officer only rule... if you have a guard codex and can look up the the exact wording on the wargear page, that would be helpful. For some reason the 'Armies Of the Imperium' program allows me to take them, and I haven't noticed any other incongruencies in that program.

back to the topic, for Ares, if you have access to any origional Necromunda figures, they used to have plastic sprues of 'Goliath' gangers who had big ugly muscles, mohawks, serrated swords, laspistols, and wore spikey bondage-style barbarian armor that would make for some great extra bitz to add flavor to your army idea's look. you may be able to still get those in mail order pretty cheap (I don't know because I am in the states and the mail order online store here is not as comprehensive as the UK store)
Old 06 Jan 2006, 23:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigs for dinner
this is a bit off topic, and I dont have a codex (they all live at the guy with the big basement table's house) but I am pretty sure that sargeants of hardened veteran squads are an exception to the officer only rule... if you have a guard codex and can look up the the exact wording on the wargear page, that would be helpful. For some reason the 'Armies Of the Imperium' program allows me to take them, and I haven't noticed any other incongruencies in that program.
your right, sorry about that. i dont use vets much.

Closed Thread