Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Use of the Plasma Pistol
Closed Thread
Old 04 Jan 2006, 23:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Use of the Plasma Pistol

The Plasma Pistol is the most powerful, and most expensive, weapon in the Armory, and is also one of the least used. Is there any use for these hot powerful pistols? I am wondering if the following are pretty good ways to use them.

Veteran Sergeants in Veteran squads and normal Infantry Squads have access to the armory, and are relatively cheap. The loss of a 23 point unit is not large, and the Plasma Pistol in infiltrating Veteran squads and Infantry Squads with Light Infantry, or deep-striking infantry squads, can cause major damage to marines, and is the closest weapon to a Special Weapon in the Armory. It can be used as a second (in terms of Infantry) or fourth (in terms of Veterans) Plasmagun, and makes a great close quarters weapon.

Why isn't this pistol used very much? While it is too dangerous on expensive units such as Heroic Senior Officers and Commissars, it is great on cheaper Junior Officers and Veteran Sergeants and can make them cause major damage before their death. The Gets Hot can also be lightened by buying Carapace Armor, giving more survival against the Gets Hot and anything else, since the Plasma Pistol has a 12'' range.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 01:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Use of the Plasma Pistol

range range range.
anybody who is likely to fire a plasma pistol will get their one nifty little kill and then more often than not get locked up in close combat and either killed or incapable of firing for most of the game. range is why few people equip Inferno pistols on their Inqusitor... sure it can hit hard, but it is so very very rare that you can use these types of weapons enough to justify their points cost or the risk involved. sure I can respect that low power characters like JOs and such can potentially spend a lot of points to be able to fire a plasma pistol at 8" on the off chance that the enemy will stand there and shoot back, but in my experience, anyone who gets that close will charge, and you really only get one shot off, and 1 dumb chance of burning yourself up, and yippie one more dead ork before they overwhelm you since you let them that close in the first place. I wonder if a 'mastercraft' plasma pistol doesnt have to roll a save if its first hit roll (that it gets to reroll) is a 1...? As far as I can tell, the plas pistol is one of those "Hmm... what should I do with these last 12 points" kind of additions after you have already built your basic army. Up on the list beside melta bombs or surveyors and such miscellania.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Black Behemoth
The Plasma Pistol is the most powerful, and most expensive, weapon in the Armory, and is also one of the least used. Is there any use for these hot powerful pistols? I am wondering if the following are pretty good ways to use them.

Veteran Sergeants in Veteran squads and normal Infantry Squads have access to the armory, and are relatively cheap. The loss of a 23 point unit is not large, and the Plasma Pistol in infiltrating Veteran squads and Infantry Squads with Light Infantry, or deep-striking infantry squads, can cause major damage to marines, and is the closest weapon to a Special Weapon in the Armory. It can be used as a second (in terms of Infantry) or fourth (in terms of Veterans) Plasmagun, and makes a great close quarters weapon.

Why isn't this pistol used very much? While it is too dangerous on expensive units such as Heroic Senior Officers and Commissars, it is great on cheaper Junior Officers and Veteran Sergeants and can make them cause major damage before their death. The Gets Hot can also be lightened by buying Carapace Armor, giving more survival against the Gets Hot and anything else, since the Plasma Pistol has a 12'' range.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 10:12   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I'm not a fan of it myself. I rarely bring it, although when you can pop a Terminator with one, it's worth it. Otherwise, you're better spending the points elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 05 Jan 2006, 12:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i sometimes give it to my stormtrooper sarge, but only if i play necrons or another such tough high save army. sometimes ill equip a roughrider sarge with it, bu usually not since their BS3

Old 05 Jan 2006, 14:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

i find that a bolt pistolis a little more cost efficient. i take them only when it is fluffy, like in an hq, or for the officer in my squad of devils(use up left over points).

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 19:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

1. Fluff
2. They work against marines. Simple. I need nothing more than a plasma pistol to pop out a character before entering assault.

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 05 Jan 2006, 20:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

While I don't actually pay the points to equip models with plasma pistols, I do put two such pistols on a model, and use the "the guy fires them together so they count as a Plasma GUN" trope.

Range has been mentioned, and it's really what turns me off to the pistol itself. I prefer to kit out my command groups with four Plasma Guns, and a Bolter on the JO.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 23:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I take several in my army, and though I don't play IG, I use tons of Inuisitorial Storm Troopers, which are like Grenadiers but with a more expensive armory. I put them on my vet sergeants to form what my friends affectiobately call "The wall of plasma death." I put 2 plasma guns and the plasma pistol in the suad, then dump them in a good peice of terrain. When an enemy approaches, I tear into them with 6 plasma shots and 14 hell gun shots. That stops most units dead in their tracks.