Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

here's a good army list (I think)
Closed Thread
Old 04 Jan 2006, 20:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default here's a good army list (I think)

HQ:
Command squad:
Heroic Senior Officer: bolt pist, power weap, bionics, carapace,macharian cross, refrac field, iron discipline
Veteran: medic, lasgun
Veteran: standard, CCW, bolt pistol
Guard: lasgun, master vox
Guard: meltagun
Commissar: power weapon, bolt pistol

HQ squad:230 points

the reasoning behind this is twofold: the commissar plus the HSO leadership, plus the master vox and iron discipline makes for a very tough leadership base, the odds of a squad breaking when you dont want it to are far better with a 10 LD than they are with a 9 given the nature of bell curves. The HSO has been made just about as indestructable as a guardsman can get... only thing missing is a medallion crimson, but I have never allowed them to get into harms way so much that that upgrade has been useful. The melta and bolt pistols are just cheap enough and effective enough to discourage anybody going out of their way to close with this crucial part of the army... but this squad should more or less stay well away from the enemy. Also, the macharian cross can really give you an advantage if you know how to bait-and-switch with the lanes of fire of your heavy weapons. The second reason for this squad is that it uses precisely the same figs that come in the 'IG command squad' box - one of the few well thought out boxed sets put out by GW marketing 'experts'.... I was actually surprised that the commander didn't come with a plasma cannon or a rippergun or something equally unuseable, but enough of that gripe... on with the list:

add on a 110 point lascannon squad, a 95 point autocannon squad, an 80 point mortar squad, and a 95 point missile launcher squad... (mortars and missile launchers can be converted from 'regular' cadian plastic guys pretty easily, so you don't need too many specialty Heavy Team sets of figs... I only had 2, and managed to squeeze 4 squads out of them through creative scavenging of random bits to deliniate ammo bearers)
all the add-ons bring the total to 595 points for the command platoon. it seems pricey, but it has all the heavy weapons you could ever need and ensures a survivable commander with excellent leadership. I believe Iron Discipline to be one of the most useful tools available to the guard and it's only 5 points.
----------
TROOPS:
1st Inf Platoon: command: 135 points
command: JO with ccw, laspistol, krak grenades
commissar: CCW and powerfist
veteran: medic, bolt pistol, ccw
guard: flamer
2guards:laspist/ccw
--this one is a one shot assault squad to be kept directly behind the lines of heavy weapons ready to charge anything that gets close. The krak grenades for JO were an afterthought but could have a slight chance of knocking out a tank. they are not expected to survive so much as slow down an enemy breakthrough, which is why I didn't bother with a voxcaster.

2 squads (identicle) 73 points each
10 guards, all lasguns plus 1 Grenade Launcher and 1 with a vox

--these should be self-explainatory. meatshields with a slight punch

total cost of 1st platoon: 281 points
2nd Inf platoon:
command: j.o. with laspist/ccw
4 guards with flamers
----64 points
1 squad at 73 points with GrenLauncher and Voxcaster
1 squad with nothing but lasguns (60 points) to use as the 'first line' of meatshields
total cost 197 points
the command squad 'flamer' approach btw is another 'dont get to close' deterrent like the com squad from the 1st platoon with all the assault weapons. it's not too expensive in points, but it can counter attack really well or stop enemies from closing in behind terrain.
-------
FAST ATTACK:
sentinel with lascannon, extra armor, hardened fighters, armored crew compartment ---85 points
useful for blocking holes between terrain features and locking up lower powered assault troops, plus the lascannon is a nice afterthought since it can fire at a different target than the triple lascannon squad in the command platoon.

-------
HEAVY:
Leman: heavy bolter hull, heavy bolter sponsons, 155 points

Leman: Lascannon, Heavy bolter sponsons, bulldozer, track guards, extra armor, 185 points

the first tank is mostly intended for heavy bolters... 9 dice can chew up a lot of infantry, besides it can draw fire, the second is more of the 'hero' tank, harder to kill, lascannon for particularly nasty enemy vehicles, dozer blade to go whereever needed.
--------
ELITE:

Stormtroopers: (86 points)
1 vet sergeant with powersword (actually a waste of points in my opinion but I can't find any 'regular' stormtrooper sarge figure and haven't converted the power weapon yet - but it may come in handy)
2 stroops with plasma guns
2 stroops with hellguns

all have DEEP STRIKE and are intended to drop behind the most obnoxious heavy infantry or light vehicles the enemy has after the game has begun, and just open up with the plasma guns. I never give plasguns to regular guards because its too easy to burn up, but the stroop carapace gives a better chance of surviving, and the deep strike gives much better chance of being in the right place at the right time to use them.

OGRYNS: 125 points
5 ogryns

Chimera (for ogryns): 118 points
heavy flamer (hull) heavy flamer (turret) extra armor, track guards, smoke launchers

the Ogryns and chim are supposed to block up the most obvious attack lane. they are both tough enough to stand closing enemies whilst the heavy weapons behind them fire away, and the chim's 2 flamers can disperse thick horde assault tactics. the smoke launchers are for turn 1, where it maneuvers into position and drops off the goon squad.

VETERANS:199 pts
vet sarge w HONORIFICA, powerfist, ccw, bionics, carapace, surveyor
2 vets w meltaguns
1 w grenade launch
2 w shotgun
4 w laspist/ccw (1 has a vox)

all have Hardened Fighters upgrade and frag grenades

the whole point of this squad is to infiltrate a choice piece of terrain and figure out the toughest enemy to jump on. meltaguns with a 4 BS, and the sicko veteran sarge who is the true 'superhero' of the army will take out more or less anything they can get close to. The surveyor may seem at first as a waste of 2 points, but I have found that when fighting enemies with a lot of infiltrators, I deploy my vets in the infiltrate phase and they counterdeploy some close combat kill squad nearby just to take them out and deny my vets the charge that they are designed for... the free shot with meltaguns kind of discourages this. Opponent psychology is very important with the guard.

so there it is... 2000 points (i think slightly short of 2000 actually) with a lot of meatshields, a lot of big guns, a couple of assault groups, and enough fire-drawing tanks to beat up all the powergaming space marines and carnifex armies out there. If 2000 points are too much, I usually drop the two tanks and the sentinel (plus a few character items like the mach cross or the extraneous refrac field and such non-essentials) to make 1500, still plenty of numbers on the table, and just rely on the heavy weapons teams to deal with tank threats instead of the Lemans.

the Doctrines required to field this army are:
stormtroopers restricted troops
ogryns restricted troops
hardened fighters upgrade
iron discipline upgrade

...leaving 1 leftover 'freebie' if you want to switch around a few points here or there to accomodate your priest or psyker figure or whatever... if not, just take Close Order Drill which seldom comes in useful, but occasionally pumps your assault teams, besides it's free

I built this army with the figs included in 2 cadian battleforce boxed sets, 1 cadian shock troops (20) box, 1 chimera, and about a dozen blisters for commissars and ogryns and stroops... which is pretty much the most economical way of massing a guard army I have found... lots of plastic, lots of creative chopping and pasting, a few bits of metal.

..sigh... i should have played a 10 figure daemon hunter army and saved some loot, huh?
Old 04 Jan 2006, 21:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: here's a good army list (I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigs for dinner
HQ:
Command squad:
Heroic Senior Officer: bolt pist, power weap, bionics, carapace,macharian cross, refrac field, iron discipline
the idea is great, i use it with my urban regiment. but i would get rid of the standard. this squad will be behind coer the enitre time(or should be) and your standard bonus doesn't carry on vox. also get rid of the macharian cross, get medallion crimson, at toughness three instant death is a real threat with 3 wounds. get rid of the melta, maybe the powerswords aswell, this squad wont be using them if you play it properly. replace the CC veteran with another medic. bascily make this squad as harmless looking, and as likely to survive as possible, if you play right this squad wont enter comabt all game.

Quote:
TROOPS:
get rid of the krak grenade, this is a counter assault squad, and you wont get assaulted by a tank. and the chances of taking out a drednaught iwth a krak grenade is slim to none.
Quote:

get rid of the firesupport squadin your HQ, put the autocannons here.

Quote:
2nd Inf platoon:
4 guards with flamers
seems ok, but i wouldnt place so many special weapons in a 5 man squad.
Quote:
----64 points
1 squad with nothing but lasguns (60 points) to use as the 'first line' of meatshields
total cost 197 points
if your fron squad is going to be a first line you should definelty give them a vox, that way they hold the front line to the end. meat shields aren't much good if they run away on the second turn.
Quote:
sentinel with lascannon, extra armor, hardened fighters, armored crew compartment ---85 points
waaaay to expensive for an AV 10 model. i usually dont take sentinels with lascannons unless its 2 autocannons and a hidden lascannon. i wouldnt upgrade it that much either, as i said before, its going to die fast, lonely sentinels tend to do so.
Quote:
Leman: Lascannon, Heavy bolter sponsons, bulldozer, track guards, extra armor, 185 points
either make the hull weapon a bolter or get rid of the sponsons. heavy bolters and lascannons dont mix. if you shoot at infantry your lascannon is wasted if you shoot at a tank your bolters are waisted. i wouldn't use track guards since they're too expensive for what they do.
Quote:
1 vet sergeant with powersword (actually a waste of points in my opinion but I can't find any 'regular' stormtrooper sarge figure and haven't converted the power weapon yet - but it may come in handy)
2 stroops with hellguns
you can just have the powersword count as a normal CCW, its just an adamantium sabre.
Quote:
heavy flamer (hull) heavy flamer (turret) extra armor, track guards, smoke launchers
id give the chimera atleast one ranged weapon

it seems a bit tooled up for a guard army, too many upgrades not enough models. but thats just me.

Old 05 Jan 2006, 00:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: here's a good army list (I think)

thank you that is wise advice but I have to beg to differ on a couple of points: a single sentinel is able to draw a fair amount of fire, and the individually aimable lascannon is useful in my experience.

I like the idea of putting the autocannons in my meat squads... I will throw a few points around and see what else that frees up - probably means more figures.

I think the cannon fodder infantry squad wont need a vox because they generally get gunned down in the first turn or the second, predictable losses and all that, and provide just enough cover for the better armed GLauncher infantry behind them to get into position.

I like the standard in the command squad because it will generally stay close on my backline (like you suggested, away from harm) and close to all my heavy weapons, who will undoubtably be choice targets for any enemy indirect fire or long range high leadership troops who can, as a rule, ignore the 'closest target' rule, heavy weapons squads get 3 free wounds before they start losing counterattack potency, so the leader and standard bonus will be useful since those squads don't have vox option and will likely never move in the entire game.

Only the commander in the 1st platoon has krak grenades. perhaps I posted that wrong. I had 2 points left so I just winged it on that one.

Maybe the 4 man flamer squad is a bit much.. next game I will try splitting and reorganizing both command infantry squads with 2 ccw and 2 flamers each. I like that point you made. I guess I just like to specialize everything so I know exactly what each squad can be used for, but your method makes for 2 half-squads that are a bit more generically useful, if not specifically useful.

most importantly, I have to say that I am a gamer of the old school, and I have to have everything represented in miniature, otherwise we may just play with scribbled scraps of paper. I have a melta in my command squad because, although it may never see use, it does tend to discourage my opponents from getting within 12 inches of my backline, Also that's what the miniature is carrying. I am sure you can appreciate such small indiscretions of points value versus usefulness... I am a bit skeptical of the amount my commissars cost too, but since I have the figurines for them, I use them. I may drop the commy from the infantry JO platoon, and downgrade the commy in the HQ platoon so as to just take advantage of the leadership bonus, and not bother making a combattant out of him..

I appreciate your advice, and I will definitely use a couple of your ideas... but one that I will never back down on is the chimera armament. Heavy flamers are a sicko sicko combo when used while simultaneously deploying tough troops right in the middle of a fight. clear the air, let your guys have a turn to fire and breathe and so on, and just dig in. If you drive them right, a Chim dumping smoke rounds as it advances and subsequently dumping ogryns will be very hard to hit anywhere but front armor. I like the track guards because it is horrible having your plans messed up by one bad die roll and getting stunned or immobilized.

I could drop all the extraneous bits here and there, and probably garner about 100 more points, but I like to pick the advantages where I think they are needed most. Maybe the Autocannon shift will open up enough points to turn my Lascannon HW squads into Sharpshooters, this I like.

BTW I notice you had no comments about my superbad veteran squad. thanks for the vote of confidence on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
Quote:
HQ:
Command squad:
the idea is great, i use it with my urban regiment. but i would get rid of the standard. this squad will be behind coer the enitre time(or should be) and your standard bonus doesn't carry on vox. also get rid of the macharian cross, get medallion crimson, at toughness three instant death is a real threat with 3 wounds. get rid of the melta, maybe the powerswords aswell, this squad wont be using them if you play it properly. replace the CC veteran with another medic. bascily make this squad as harmless looking, and as likely to survive as possible, if you play right this squad wont enter comabt all game.

Quote:
TROOPS:
get rid of the krak grenade, this is a counter assault squad, and you wont get assaulted by a tank. and the chances of taking out a drednaught iwth a krak grenade is slim to none.
Quote:

get rid of the firesupport squadin your HQ, put the autocannons here.

Quote:
2nd Inf platoon:
4 guards with flamers
seems ok, but i wouldnt place so many special weapons in a 5 man squad.
Quote:
----64 points
total cost 197 points
if your fron squad is going to be a first line you should definelty give them a vox, that way they hold the front line to the end. meat shields aren't much good if they run away on the second turn.
Quote:
waaaay to expensive for an AV 10 model. i usually dont take sentinels with lascannons unless its 2 autocannons and a hidden lascannon. i wouldnt upgrade it that much either, as i said before, its going to die fast, lonely sentinels tend to do so.
Quote:
either make the hull weapon a bolter or get rid of the sponsons. heavy bolters and lascannons dont mix. if you shoot at infantry your lascannon is wasted if you shoot at a tank your bolters are waisted. i wouldn't use track guards since they're too expensive for what they do.
Quote:
2 stroops with hellguns
you can just have the powersword count as a normal CCW, its just an adamantium sabre.
Quote:
id give the chimera atleast one ranged weapon

it seems a bit tooled up for a guard army, too many upgrades not enough models. but thats just me.