Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Has anyone tried this...
Closed Thread
Old 02 Jan 2006, 22:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Has anyone tried this...

So the story goes, I take vacation that let's just say involves a lot of driving.Of course I get bored, I begin to read a series of books about the Napoleonic wars, and specifically about a man called "Sharpe" who leads a "light company". Of course, this company includes a cadre of grizzled veterans who operate rifles instead of muskets and to put it lightly, kick tail.

Basically the "olden days" version of gaunt's ghosts, and instead of making an army themed on that over-used theme, I was thinking about (possibly) trying out an army of light infantry, with sniper rifles to represent the sharp shooters, other than that I haven't put in much thought except that their uniform would be dark green, (that's what colour the British riflemen wore), and using a lot of Gaunt's ghosts and Last Chancers minis for that rough, grizzled look.

So I was wondering if anyone has tried this kind of army, and if you have read any of the Sharpe's books, who would make good character representations?
Old 02 Jan 2006, 23:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Chugmuffin
Default Re: Has anyone tried this...

I haven't tried. though it does sound like a good idea. so i might
- Wargamer...
Old 03 Jan 2006, 03:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The Sharpe novels are good stuff, and Sharpe himself is one of those major-league alpha males from the Jack Aubrey school of machismo that's marvelous to read. If you can find episodes of the Sharpe's Rifles television series (based on the novels, and starring Sean Bean of Boromir fame as Sharpe himself), you can probably pick up some excellent ideas for paint schemes and equipment conversions.

As modelling goes, you might want to consider hitting the collector's pages on the GW website (or ebay) for some Mordian or Praetorian models to work with. They've got a nice amount of arm-braids and epaulets and whatnot that provide a nicely Napoleonic look. I'd convert the heads to something else (maybe even something genuinely Napoleonic, from Old Glory or Wargames Foundry), but the base figures would make nice foundations for the sort of force you're describing.

Of course, if you want to go whole hog, abandon GW figs entirely and actually USE real Napoleonic figures. Just be sure to give them lasguns and GW-modern gear. Napoleonic collectors generally purchase figures in mass quantities, so you can probably find some nice bulk deals out there on rank-and-file British troops. And if Alternative Armies is still around (I haven't looked in ages) figures from their Flintloque or Deadloque ranges would be awesome. It wouldn't be tourney legal, but it would sure draw oohs and aahs.

And even if you're going to go the Light Infantry route, you should take Heavy Weapons teams, and use cannon from the WH Fantasy range.
Old 03 Jan 2006, 06:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i guess you could pass the cannon off as a missile launcher, fireing armour penetration shells(krak) or grape shot(frag) or a lascannon. to make a snipered up army i usually go for light infantry, sharpshooters and ratling squads. i used human sniper models for these, fluff wise they represent local militia who used to be hunters before war broke out, hence the low WS(but i cant justify the low S and T) i guess you could come up with something. also to represent the tactics of those days you could use the Close Order Drill to represent the troopers lineing up and presenting a wall of bayonets. also you could have roughriders, as dragoons, but i dont know if the regiment you had in mind had chavelary. i havent read those books so these are just blind shots.

Old 03 Jan 2006, 14:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I was thinking a guy with a heavy bolter to represent Sgt. Harper and his seven barreled gun...
Old 04 Jan 2006, 21:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

mordians and praetorians definitely if you want the whole 'GW Codex' tornament legal ("buy OUR figures or you can't play!"), but the Napoleonics lines are a great idea and probably far cheaper too if you don't want to support the Cult of Andy Chambers or whatever. Many Napoleonic figs are mistakenly portrayed in very livery stylish battle dress, where in actuallity they mostly wore ruddy trench coats in the field, and only officers wore their parade-uniforms and big silly marching-band hats on a battlefield.
A look at the basic heavy weapons options you could approximate while staying 'In Period':
big-old-napoleonic-cannon: Missile Launcher
big-old-napoleonic-mortar: mortar
crank driven gatling gun (extremely rare historically): autocannon
long rifle (rather than musket and blunderbuss looking 'las'guns): snip rifle
I cant for the life of me think of any kind of lascannon - maybe a ye-olde-cannon looking carriage with some high tech lascannon mounted on it, but it would look a bit out of place...

as far as doctrines are concerned... I would go with some combination of Light Inf, Sharpshoot, Veterans, Die Hard, Iron Disc, Close order, Hard fighters - depending on the angle you want to take tactically
Old 04 Jan 2006, 21:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

you could use some stuff from the fantasy range, to make them more tournament legal. probably not for troops but for cannons, mortars and such.

Closed Thread