Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Are conscripts worth it?
Closed Thread
Old 02 Jan 2006, 18:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Chugmuffin
Default Are conscripts worth it?

Are conscripts really worth it? They are inexpensive point wise, but they are really bad. The only thing they are god for is cannon fodder which I don't like to use my guys for. So, I don't use 'scripts at all. What do you think?
- Wargamer...
Old 02 Jan 2006, 18:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Are conscripts worth it?

You could use them to overwhelm you're opponent as well.
Old 02 Jan 2006, 19:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

well if you dont like seeing your boys getting ripped in a meatgrinder and row after row of faithful men die then you shouldn't have gone with guard. but dont worry we all feel like that, but after a few battles you get over it.

Conscripts are great aslong as
A) you dont give them heavy weapons or special weapons(well, maybe flamers)
B) you have something to give them a leadership bonus. either an HSO in range or a independant commissar in the squad. if you get the commy in their though dont get him into combat since he's an independant character and will die quick, reverting your men back to Ld 5.

use them for massed lasgunning, and then charging into the biggest toughest enemy you can find and slowly gumming him to death, they're great against marines and necrons.

Old 03 Jan 2006, 10:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They're a great way to bog things down...Try bringing two sets of 50 of them to a fight...your opponent's eyes will get as big as dinner plates when he realises that he didn't bring enough guns to kill 200 models.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 04 Jan 2006, 04:03   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Conscripts aren't worth it unless you have enemies that come in small numbers so you can swamp them, they have low everything and it's not worth taking them because they die as soon as the first gun is fired, giving you're apponant a load of victory points and you just wasted about 50 points which could have been put to good use

"War may sometimes seem a necessary evil, but no matter how necessary it is always an evil"
Jimmy Carter
Old 04 Jan 2006, 04:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Eh, victory points? I think not. Two full platoons of 100 models for 400 points. Great fun. ^^
Throw in some flamers and you've got yourself a ball.
Just think about it. Up to 200 attacks on the charge, well in theory that is... Just devaststing.
Great for shielding. And you can even be allowed to yell "For the Horde!" with this amount of models. (I do, on several occations)
The only problems with this is that you actually have to sometimes move them, and roll extreme amounts of die. Plus buying and painting all the models.
Old 04 Jan 2006, 08:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Making the enemy kill a 4 point model is a good use of points. Conscripts follow the same rule as many other IG units (especially sentinels): If you take them, take a lot. 20 conscripts are a waste of 80 points. 50 conscripts are the best thing you could possibly do with 200 points.

Quote:
Old 09 Jan 2006, 17:57   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i think conscripts are awesome, they served me well against tau, but they die really quick, i lost 10 to 1 sub munittion round, in the first turn aswell, i hadnt even moved so they were like sardines in my deployment zone. but they act as a meat shield and with flamers are just great, stick the flamers to the front as you get in range and slap down some templates and see whats left when the smoke clears :P not much...
Old 09 Jan 2006, 19:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I wish I could afford (financially, not points wise) a really swollen conscript squad like some of the guys here talk about, but I usually use my figs as regular infantry. Given the opportunity (like say, finding 50 guardsmen figures in an attic or something) I would always use them. Conscripts are SO much nuissance to an opponent, I have seen them used, and wielded their mighty BS2 in one game of my own.
The tactics for conscripts I recommend are to assign a commissar babysitter with a powersword or powerfist, give some guys flamers if you can fit in your points - (dont overdo it, 1 or 2 is fine), and use them as a big stupid wall on one of your flanks, screaming, dying, shooting, missing, and generally letting the commissar do all the work. This way, the rest of your "quality" guardsmen (haha... what a concept...) don't have to worry about half of the battlefield, because the glorious waste of human life known as a conscript platoon just takes so long to chop through. Hope this helps :-\
Old 09 Jan 2006, 19:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Good advice, squigs, except for one thing:

Quote:
assign a commissar babysitter with a powersword or powerfist.......and generally letting the commissar do all the work
Nope...really bad move. See, in close combat, the commissar counts as a separate unit...which means that your enemy gets to choose whether he's going to dedicate his attacks to the commie or the squad...and guess what I'd do? That one model not only costs as much as a couple dozen conscripts, he's the key to defeating them. No commie, no leadership, 50 conscripts get massacred as they flee the battlefield! Keep the commie in the back, as long as he's not within 2" of combat, he can't be touched. The only wargear I'd give him is a stormbolter. If he needs a close combat weapon, you have already lost.

Quote:
Closed Thread