Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need help!! Don't know what to get!!
Closed Thread
Old 02 Jan 2006, 02:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Chugmuffin
Default Need help!! Don't know what to get!!

O.k. here is the deal. My bro plays TAu and Im IG. Right now I have a single Sentinel, 4 squads of shock troops, a single leman russ, and two officers, and Standard and medic. I just dont know what to get next.
- Wargamer...
Old 02 Jan 2006, 07:34   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Need help!! Don't know what to get!!

Get a hellhound, i normally fight against my friend who uses blood angels and it normally does well against him so you should consider getting one especially against tau with its ap 4
Old 02 Jan 2006, 13:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the help. I'll try that.
- Wargamer...
Old 02 Jan 2006, 13:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hellhound could be good. Also more sentinels if you like the one you have. One sentinel usually don't do much/live long.

Maybe you should consider getting a normal platoon aswell. Gives you loads of troops cheap. Conscripts could do well also. And maybe some squads of heavies.. one with heavy bolters and one with missiles/lascannons.
Old 02 Jan 2006, 13:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the help really apprreciate it.
- Wargamer...
Old 02 Jan 2006, 14:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Oog, stay away from the hellhound. With Tau's superior range, it will be destroyed quickly.

Go for a blister of meltaguns, and make a command squad. Also, get a chimera, and put the command squad in there, Race to a Tau squad and rip them apart! The melta-guns will be useful for destroying Battlesuits.

Another Leman russ wouldn't be too bad either... you can never have too many Russes...

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 02 Jan 2006, 18:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

if i were in your situation id save up and get the starter set. gives you 20 more soldiers, and guard armies can never have too much infantry. also you get another leman russ which always comes in handy, a battle cannon to instant kill the crisis suits and hull and sponson heavy bolters to rain on the firewarriors. also, and most importantly you'll get 3 heavy weapon sprues. you can combine these with the infantry you get and buy 15 large bases(3) to make 15 heavy weapons. as a tau player myself my worst nightmare is guard squads with a missile launcher taking down my suits on a 2 and hidden heavy bolters taking out FWs on a 2+.

Old 02 Jan 2006, 18:48   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I agree with elessar. gat a battleforce. And get your hands on chimaeras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 03 Jan 2006, 10:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I dunno...transports are a horrible option when facing tau.* Their basic troops can penetrate side armor on a chimera at 30"! Then there are the deathrain suits to worry about.* And why do you want to get that close with basic guardsmen, anyway?* They're better in CC than tau, but not that much better!

Against tau, I'd recommend heavy bolters...lots of them. They have 6" more range than pulse rifles and AP4, to boot! After that, I'd get some multilasers. Against skimmers, it's volume of fire that counts, and 3 chances at a S6 glance are better than 2 chances at a S7 glance. Don't shoot lascannons at vehicles that haven't already lost skimmer protection if there are crisis suits or broadsides to shoot at. A 50% chance at 75 VP is better than a 3% chance at 150 VP.

Normally, I'm a big fan of sentinels, and I tend to take at least 6 myself. But not against tau. Pulse rifles penetrate them at 30". Bolters glance them at 24". Big difference. I'd take the drop troops doctrine and leave anything below AV12 at home.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 03 Jan 2006, 16:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
I dunno...transports are a horrible option when facing tau. Their basic troops can penetrate side armor on a chimera at 30"! Then there are the deathrain suits to worry about. And why do you want to get that close with basic guardsmen, anyway? They're better in CC than tau, but not that much better!
Hmmm lets see in CC: guardsmen strike first, hit on 2s and then tau hit back on 5s.
Shooting: Both hit on 4s, guardsmen wound on 4s and FW get a 4+ save. FW wound on a 2+ and you get no save, which should we try? :

but i do agree with march 10k though that you'd be better off with drop troops doctrine. or if you dont like the risk take light infantry and infiltrate closer.

Closed Thread