Warhammer 40K Forum

Mechanized List with no Heavy Support
Closed Thread
Old 01 Jan 2006, 00:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Mechanized List with no Heavy Support

Mechanized
**All Tanks (Not Walkers) have Rough terrain modifications and HK missiles, and is included in their cost
Senior Officer
Chimera
Total: 155 pts

(2) Platoon
Junior Officer
Chimera
Total: 280 pts
(3) 9 Guardsmen and 1 Veteran Sergeant
Chimera Hull Heavy Bolter, Turret Heavy Bolter
Total: 996
Platoon Total: 1076 pts

Hell Hound
Total: 130 pts

(2) Sentinel Squadron
Armageddon Pattern (Lascannon)
HK Missile
Total: 360 pts

Army Total: 1999

Please give me any advice you can,
Thank you

The Mothman
Old 01 Jan 2006, 00:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to akthomas89
Default Re: Mechanized List with no Heavy Support

Haven't got much time but first your list is somewhat hard to decipher. Do you mean you have 2 platoons of guardsmen, each with 3 squads inside? I hope so, or else you'll be drastically short on infantry.

I would put extra armor and smoke on vehicles if you can afford it, preferable before RTM. The smoke and such will always come in handy, but rough terrain has limited uses.

I wouldn't run armageddon sentinels - they are prime targets and for their cost, not worth it. Stick the lascannons in infantry squads where they are better protected and run multilaser sentinels instead - they provide answers to light vehicles and are much more equipped to deal with infantry making them less appealing targets and more effective all around.

Am I to understand you have no special or heavy weapons within your infantry squads?? This is more often than not, a bad idea. Guardsmen are good as meat sheilds for power weapons like heavy bolters, lascannons, autocannons, etc. so I would probably try to stick some heavy weaps in, even if it means losing a squad.

Also, look into doctrines, like iron discipline and close order drill - stuff to keep your men on the table.

I don't know if no heavy support is a good idea, especially if you don't have special weapons in your squad.

Anyway, gotta run. Have fun!
Old 01 Jan 2006, 00:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Also your command squad needs 4 more men... you only have a single HSO. And for 2000pts the list seems a little small.
Old 01 Jan 2006, 00:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

hey thank you, and this is my first draft of the guard list so ther will be changes

The mothman
Old 01 Jan 2006, 15:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

ah! no heavy support! *throws holy water on army list* burn! BURN!
anyways, not a real fan of the no heavy support idea but its really up to you. guard armies perform well even without tanks but, being a tread head, your army looks naked.

first off definitly listen to akthomas about the sentinels. a volley of pulse rifles could take down your anti-tank capability, sentinels are too frail to be trusted with lascannons, espeically if they are the only lascannons. i'd switch them for either multilasers or autocannons. spread the lascannons out between your squads.(infantry squads not command squads.)

id suggest uping your SO to a HSO, you'll need the ledeadership since you dont have commissars. and consider giving him a bolt pistol and powersword, or a storm bolter.

keep the RTM on your hellhound, get rid of the rest.

Old 02 Jan 2006, 01:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for the advice.
I like point blank range fighting and i just discovered the Light Infantry Docterine, if i read correctly, then my whole army can infiltrate and lay down one heck of a barrage!

So i think ill scrape the mechanized

The mothman