Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Whats the deal with IG Forgeworld models?
Closed Thread
Old 31 Dec 2005, 19:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Whats the deal with IG Forgeworld models?

Was talking to some people in the GW store (not employees) and ive read some places online that certain Forgeworld models for IG aren't allowed in some RTTs. Can someone explain why that is? And can someone explain if all Forgeworld models are subject to approval before be admitted into a RTT.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 22:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Whats the deal with IG Forgeworld models?

Most forgworld models arn't allowed in RTT- period... no matter what army.

( If RTT means somthing to do with tournies that is :P )
Old 01 Jan 2006, 02:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I guess it mostly depends on if there is official rules for them. For example a chimera with autocannon is not included in the IG codex so you can not use it. A witch hunter exorcist is included in the WH codex so you can use the forgeworld model.
Old 01 Jan 2006, 03:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

But thats the thing... most FW models have the rules come from FW to, so arn't GW thus arn't legal.
Old 01 Jan 2006, 03:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes!

But there are others.. loads of Dreds for diffrent chapters and stuff. But not much for IG.
Old 01 Jan 2006, 05:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

"Not much"... so the dozens of tanks and tank refits, the Superheavies, the fliers, and the oddball support vehicles (Cyclops, Atlas, Sentinel Powerlifter, etc.) doesn't mean alot?

The fact is that Forge World is not official - even Imperial Armour stuff, for any army, is disallowed by most major tournaments.
Old 01 Jan 2006, 06:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Basically, since forgeworld makes some things that are already in the official codex, like the Exorcist and the new Hellhound, they are legal because they are only cosmetically different from the official GW minis (and for a very long time, Forgeworld was the only place you could buy a Wave Serpent!). Anything that requires rules from Forgeworld is subject for restriction. While obviously RTTs wont allow any of those hijinks, other private events may allow something not too "out there", such as a Leman Russ varient or a different weapons loadout. If you are cosidering a super-heavy or flyer you should assume you wont be able to field it in a competitive environment.

Now that tournaments are out of the way....

I wholeheartedly support the decision to get a forgeworld model you admire, if you play non-competitive games. People always worry about opponents refusing FW vehicles in pick-up games, which is absurd. First of all, someone who would try to arbitrate your options will not be a fun opponent. Secondly, refusing these units in a non-competitive game is rather pointless. here is an exampe of what im talking about:

Lets say I have a FW tank and approach you for a game at our local hobby store.The worst consequence that can come of you refusing to let me use my FW tank is that we won't be playing each other. Well, I could just as easily refuse to let you take three Whirlwinds. Who says I can't? The worst that can happen is that we won't be playing each other. There is noone there to draw a line, and each player can demand whatever they see fit.

See? The second you set the precedent of refusing legitimately-tested rules in a laissez-faire gaming environment, it can be taken to rediculous lengths. I plan to soon have a Vulture Gunship for my Imperial Guard force, and I know that when I walk into the comic shop, all of the genuinely intellegent, fun, and sportsmanlike players will be more than happy to let me field it. It in turn serves the bonus function of helping me weed out the jerks without having to
commit to a game with them first.

Maybe im wrong, thats just how i see it.....
Old 01 Jan 2006, 17:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra-Tuisich'Novae
"Not much"... so the dozens of tanks and tank refits, the Superheavies, the fliers, and the oddball support vehicles (Cyclops, Atlas, Sentinel Powerlifter, etc.) doesn't mean alot?

The fact is that Forge World is not official - even Imperial Armour stuff, for any army, is disallowed by most major tournaments.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Then again my post was not so clear you would need to read all the posts to understand it. I apologise for that.

What I meant is there is not many FW imperial guard models with official rules in the imperial guard codex. But there are some, the drop trop sentinel and hellhound for example.
Old 01 Jan 2006, 22:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ahh, that makes more sense - I was wondering what that comment from left field was about, but that way it makes alot more sense.
Closed Thread