Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Your prefered chimera weaponry.
Closed Thread
Old 30 Dec 2005, 21:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Your prefered chimera weaponry.

The chimera being a very versatile tank, as all other imperial tanks, has loads of weapon options. As standard most people seem to equip them with multilasers, but the chimera sprue come with a heavy bolter and flamer, making a quick conversion easy. also any imperial guard player will usually have plenty of extra weaponry in their bits box(sponson bolters, sentinel weapons etc.) But ive never seen anyone equip their chimeras with anything other than mulitlasers. I mean some of the options such as autocannons are forgeworld options so some players might not want to risk taking them but the heavy flamer option seems pretty good. so why is it that no one uses these options, is the turret multilaser-hull heavy bolter combo so good? are the other options redundant? or are players to lazy to make a 3 minute conversion on their chimera?

Old 30 Dec 2005, 21:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Your prefered chimera weaponry.

My Command Squad's Chimera takes an auto-cannon. All I did was take the Heavey Weapon's sprue AC and attach it roght where the multi-laser goes. I even lined up the sight cylinder. It looks made to fit!

My next one though, I am thinking Heavey flamer, but the sprue one seems to lack detail, so I might use a different one.

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 31 Dec 2005, 08:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

i was thinking the heavy flmaer looked a bit odd. so i cut of the front bit, the two cup things where the flmaes squirt out. and then i cut the front bit of two flamers from the cadian shock troopers sprue and glued it on. doesn't look aswell as an inferno cannon bt still better than the standard heavy flmaer.

Old 31 Dec 2005, 08:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I don't play guard, but if I did i'd use autocannon apart from against orks when i'd use multilaser- as far as im aware the multilaser has AP6.(correct me if i'm wrong) The autocannon gives the chimera a better chance of taking out medium tanks and carapace armoured troops. Plus I love the autocannon anyway.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 13:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I prefer the multilaser, actually. 3 S6 shots do more for me than 2 S7 shots. Especially against landspeeders, vypers, bikes, and anything that I can only glance anyway (skimmers, obscured vehicles, smoked vehicles). Against any infantry that doesn't have a 3+ save, the higher AP of the AC is less useful than an extra shot, and against 3+ save models, the difference between S6 and S7 is usually...nonexistent. The autocannon looks good on paper, but the multilaser has outperformed it in my 6 years of IG battles.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 31 Dec 2005, 15:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I wish multilasers were available in Heavy Weapon squads, or even as an infantry squad heavy option.* But that's just me.*
Old 31 Dec 2005, 17:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Austin
I wish multilasers were available in Heavy Weapon squads, or even as an infantry squad heavy option. But that's just me.
couldn't agree more. for the chimera i dont take auto cannons, as far as im concerned theres only two places for autocannons, navy ships, and the leman russ exterminator. autocannon is ok for chimeras but i think the heavy bolter outperforms it. models with toughness 4 or more either have a 3+ save or are orks, so the auotcannon will still wound on a 2+ but get one less shot, than a multilaser. and anything with a 4+ armoursave will usually be around toughness 3. meaning heavybolters are cheaper, get more shots and wound the same. autocannons are my least favorite heavyweapon.

Old 31 Dec 2005, 17:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like turret Multi-Laser (good versus marines), hull Heavy Bolter, Extra Armor, and Track Guards if I'm up close. Sometimes, I use Smoke Launchers if what is inside must be protected.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 20:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Against Tau hull and turret heavy bolters (plus a heavy bolter from the guys inside) is deadly, but unless you're against 4+ saves then the multi-laser is useful.

My mechanized storm troopers uses three chimera's with multi-laser/heavy bolter/heavy stubber/smoke and one with two heavy flamers and smoke. The flamer one goes with whatever squad is going to be mixing things up on the front, usually my command squad, but if I'm taking Ogryns then they get it. The first combination gives me a nine shots a turn on the move. It will scythe through light infantry and its number of shots is enough to worry marines. I find them to be very effective and they are only 100 points. Overall I'd say two chimeras outfitted that way are better point for point than an exterminator.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 21:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

2 heavy bolters, all the time... i just love the higher AP and high fire rate of them, i annoy Dark Eldar, Eldar and Tau with them, they also work very well in a 2:1 ratio with a hellhound
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Closed Thread