Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

dropping a drop droop army?
Closed Thread
Old 30 Dec 2005, 12:54   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default dropping a drop droop army?

when the scenario allows it...how do you drop a drop IG army at the first turn..is it using deep strike rules? do i have to throw a d6 dice to know if they drop that 1st turn?..how bout 2nd, 3rd ....turn...thanks for any assistance
Old 30 Dec 2005, 16:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: dropping a drop droop army?

You don't. Drop troops come in as reserves, obeying all of the rules that govern reserves. One of the consequences is that you can't get them on the board on turn one.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 30 Dec 2005, 19:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to akthomas89

Yep, drop troops still drop as normal deepstrikers. So that also means if your opponent is able to wipe out everything you have before drop troops land, you're screwed.

The only army that I know of which is allowed to bring reserves in the first turn is Kult of Speed just because they're so damned fast.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 03:50   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

so when you field elysians or harakoni drop troopers you place some units on the board and some will be dropped on later turns?...i thought when you have a drop army you deploy them on your movement turn on the 1st turn by dropping them all over the place....don't they?...by being drop troops they'd deploy by dropping right?..i know it depends on the scenario....or maybe i'm confused by their doctrine - "drop troops"....pls clarify
Old 31 Dec 2005, 04:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to akthomas89

The Drop Troops doctrine simply gives you the option to deep strike any infantry squad without a transport or sentinel squad. You still follow normal rules of deployment and deep strike beyond that. You can deploy whoever you wish at the beginning of the game, including any unit eligible to deep strike. Starting second turn, you may begin to make reserve rolls as normal, and if a unit is eligible to deep strike they may enter play accordingly. Here's a (hopefully simple) breakdown of everything you need to know:

Deployment - Deploy any troops / tanks / sentinels that you wish that follows normal deployment (Heavies, yadda yadda, ending with infiltrators). Keep any units in reserve that wish (Even tanks, though they cannot enter play through deep strike).
Turn 1 - Play as normal, no reserves may come in. This means none of your reserved tanks or drop troopers may enter play.
Turn 2 - Normal reserve rolls may be made. Any squad eligible to deep strike may enter as such. Any troops that do not make their reserve roll do not enter play.
Turn 3 - 6 - Repeat until all reserve troops have entered play, or game ends

There is nothing special about deployment for drop troops. You simply get more options for, well, free as I hate to say. (I hate playing drop troops, at the very least I think it should have some sort of point cost). Getting your troops into play shouldn't be a problem, just be careful. If your entire force that is present on turn one is destroyed before any of your reserve troops can make it into play, you lose. So be sure to deploy enough to make sure your drop troops make it.

I hope this helps to clarify things. If you're still confused, feel free to say so!
Old 31 Dec 2005, 05:38   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

;D...ahhh..that's a much better explanation though i appreciate the earlier comments too...last thing..how about my vulture and valkyrie , are they counted as reserves?...i read somewhere flyers are always counted as reserves or do they count as normal "vehicles" that i can deploy as normal...
Old 31 Dec 2005, 13:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
So that also means if your opponent is able to wipe out everything you have before drop troops land, you're screwed.
Wrong. This is only true of daemons. it's possible to have IG or marine armies (there may be others) where everything deepstrikes...gee, on turn one, nothing on the board, so you lose? Nope. Like I said, that's a special rule for summoned reserves...no icon bearer, no daemons. Most deepstriking reserves are "on their way" to the battlefield (by grav chute, teleportation, drop pods, tunneling vehicles, etc), and will arrive whether or not any of their allies are present, or even alive, when they get there.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 31 Dec 2005, 15:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I believe march10k is correct here. I've actually played games where my troops were the only ones on the board in the first turn. So I merrily went about seizing table quarters, and then he (playing Deepstriking IG) started dropping all over my line (turn by turn, as reserve rolls succeeded), and it turned into a glorious brawl.

Of course, my war stories aren't terribly relevant to the discussion, except to illustrate that I've seen done what march10k describes: armies that field no units up front, and just wait for reserves to arrive.

And on some level, it's a fantastic tactic. I can see why akt thinks it should have a point cost, though I can't say that I agree with him.
Closed Thread