Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Looking to start a new army, IG is looking good
Closed Thread
Old 29 Dec 2005, 21:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Looking to start a new army, IG is looking good

So I've finally finsihed my tau, and i have a will to start a new army, it is a toss up between Imperial Guard, and* Eldar,
Can any one sway me one way or the other?

Thanks,

The Mothman
Old 29 Dec 2005, 21:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Looking to start a new army, IG is looking good

Well since you just finished a tau army you might not want IG, since you've already been using a very shooty army for very long, making eldar a better option if you feel you'd like to make an assualt army for a change. whoeve if your fine with shooty tactics, then IG is the way. We've got more men, more tanks, and more opportunity for varied backgrounds than any other army. IG can very alot of course, but most tend to be shooting oriented, extremely closecombat oriented guard armies are also possible(ah, blessed warrior weapons) but there not as good as other armies. IG armies are really fun to play since its easy to relate and inmerse yourself in them. Of course if you play a standard guard army you'll have to paint alot of infantry, but thats usually not a problem(im the laziest, most painting hating person on the forum but im making my 4th guard army) since theyre very fun to paint. you also have the opportunity to create low model count, elite guard armies if you prefer quality over quantity.(grenadiers doctrine) Or you can make very mobile, quick response IG armies by using the mechanised doctrines to equip all your squads with chimeras, or even go for the drop troops doctrine allowing you too deepstrike all of your men.(well more like 80%) So bascily, unless you absolutly love eldar, imperial guard are the veterans army.

Old 31 Dec 2005, 15:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Assualt? Bah, This is the age of guns, too many people are bringing a knife to a gun fight
I really hate assualt, but the eldar have really good guns too, (but nothing next to the almighty pulse rifle!)
and i can can keep my usual mech aparoch and FoF (Falcon of fury ) i like all the fighting to be at point blank range, and the guard can there fast enough...but the sheer number of them is amazing!

but with the mechanize dotcorine i can pull this off to, but with Alot more guns, even if they are just lasguns...

so im leaning toward the gaurd right now

The Mothman
Old 31 Dec 2005, 15:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yep, in the "whithering hail of blazing weapons fire" department, the Guard do pretty darn well. If that's your style, then IG is a force you'll enjoy playing.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 17:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

if you want close up fireing you'll love some of the guard doctrines. if you take veterans you can ahve a horde of shotgun wielding hard a**esinfiltrating and then blazing away with assault 2 weapons. and the 12" inch range shouldn't be a problem for the manlier guard players.

Old 31 Dec 2005, 20:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Gaurd it is then!
Any advice to a new gaurd player?

The mothman
Old 01 Jan 2006, 16:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

well plan your army list before buying the stuff. the easiest way is to choose a them for your guys, usually absed on their home planet and battlefields. then write down your doctrines and base you list around that. and you'll be switching between doctrines alot since your only allowed 5 you'll have to sacrifice some units and abilities. if you dont have alot of money at the moment dont start with the starter set. its a great box with loads of usefull stuff but not really for starting an army, what you get is half a troop choice and a heavy support, so not much to go on. once you've started your army and fell you need more meat on your regiment get the starter set, 20 men, a leman russ and 3 heavy weapons(which you can comebine with your 20 men to make 15 heavy weapons. all in all, take your time, dont rush it spending all your budget in one go.

Old 02 Jan 2006, 02:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Chugmuffin

It really ddepends on what you are looking for. If you want to stay "shooty" then come to the light with the IG. If you want more "assaulty" then cross over to the dark with the Eldar.
- Wargamer...
Closed Thread