Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hellhounds!
Closed Thread
Old 27 Dec 2005, 19:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to akthomas89
Default Hellhounds!

Does anyone use these tanks? The inferno cannon seems really useful but I always see people taking sentinels with multilasers over hellhounds. The hellhound has a stronger gun, can hit quite a few models at a good range, it's tougher than sentinels, and its gun ignores cover (correct me if I'm wrong on that one, but flamers do so I'd assume the inferno cannon does too). Sentinels can be outfitted with autocannons or lascannons to take down tanks, but then they just become a larger target and more expensive. Furthermore, hellhounds don't take up heavy support, they take up fast attack. This allows those 3 almost always unused FA (at least in the case of my friends and I) slots to add 3 more pieces of hammerhead-tough armor!

What are reasons that hellhounds aren't usable, are put second to sentinels, are bad, anything at all! I want to know opinions on hellhounds and their pros and cons.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 20:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Hellhounds!

akt, this is a actually a really good question. However, I think none of us have any sort of definitive answer. I'll share my own anecdotal thoughts, though.

Principally, the Hellhound is considered a HUGE fire magnet. You're right that it's dangerous, and that makes it a target. A Sentinel can sometimes get ignored long enough to do some real damage, but chances are a Hellhound is going to get targeted with something heavy (or several somethings) as quickly as possible. Nobody likes a weapon that ignores cover and can hit an entire unit fifty percent of the time.

And that quasi-randomness is probably the second factor. The Hellhound's only going to hit with the template half the time. There's no deviation or other sort of scatter--you either hit or you don't. Guard players can sometimes fall out of love with such a weapon, and choose to concentrate more on the stuff that might hit even when it misses directly, like the Ordnance templates of the Heavy Support tanks.

And speaking of tanks, it should be noted that the Hellhound is a tank, and as such is priced like a tank. Not codex-points-wise, mind you. I'm talking about the actual dollar (or pound, or what have you) cost of the actual model. GW's tank models are freakin' expensive, and Forge World's stuff is just obscene. Fielding three actual Hellhound models represents over a hundred dollars in plastic. To save my own wallet the pain, I myself use a ten dollar 1:48 scale M2 Bradley with a Heavy Flamer bit on the turret, and it looks great, but it's certainly not tourney-legal.

Old 27 Dec 2005, 21:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Hellhounds are devestating. Lets say I'm Tau, and you field Leman Russes and Hellhounds.

Railguns are going to toast the Russ... but what to do about the Hellhound? Missile Pods will break against its AV 12, and the Russ is a more serious threat... but your Hellhound is still there, roaring foreward 12" per turn until it begins to cleanse my foul Xenos off the board in droves. Yes, its scary. Yes it is effective. But I will stop shooting up a 'Russ just to blow your Hellhound up... which is good for you.

Cityfight makes them... good. Really good. Good enough to win you games.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 27 Dec 2005, 21:07   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The hellhound is a light tank in the truest sense. I have fielded it with some success, and some miserable failure.
It works well in an Armored Company list, as it can replace Leman Russ Exterminators as your anti infantry capability, opening up more slots for bearers of ordinance templates.
It definately suffers in the price department, where you can get a Demilisher for the same deal, but have a much better $:Pts ratio.
Against horde armies, or really anythign with armor 4 or less for its troops, it is death on treads. It really hurt my Tanith army recently, as it does ignore cover saves, which is all Tanith has. However, the chances of actually playing against another Guard army, let alon Tanith in a tournament is reminicient of snowballs surviving in hell.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 21:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Austin, you're mistaken on how the inferno cannon works - part of the reason the hellhound is so appealing. If you "miss", everything under the template is still hit on a 4+. So instead of all or none, its all or statistically half. So it's always going to be doing something, ignoring cover, taking down firewarriors, kroot, IG, tyranids, etc. in droves. It's got good front armor, it's a cheap IG tank points-wise, and as it has been mentioned, it will draw fire from a russ! How exciting is that! I'm working on a list right now, trying to incorporate 1 or 2. I love the tank and I love the forge world models, however I wouldn't be able to afford those right now.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 21:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

My mistake on the Inferno Cannon.* Oops.* *:P I think, though, that the original point is still valid, in that many players consider the to-hit rolling too great a gamble.

And as price goes, I'll repeat that a nice M2 Bradley with an added flamer bit works quite well.* And will only run you about ten bucks.* Paint it up nice, and some players may not even notice.*
Old 27 Dec 2005, 21:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Where can I find an M2 Bradley? Just a hobbyshop like Hobbytown USA? Or will I need to look online for it?

And you're right, missing can be very annoying, but it makes up for it by ignoring cover. MeQ still gets to save, but with S6 whatever hits you get are likely to wound, and he'll hopefull fail a save or two. Even more if you hit on the first try.

EDIT I just noticed a typo in the imperial guard codex that is very important regarding the hellhound. In the unit entry for the hellhound, it states that it has front armor 12, whereas in the IG summary it says the hellhound has front armor 13. This makes a big difference in the effectiveness of the tank, so which is the correct one to use? Is it in an errata somewhere? I would be tempted to say it has FA12 however much I want it to have 13. Does anyone know the official ruling?
Old 27 Dec 2005, 21:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

The official armour value is 12.
Old 27 Dec 2005, 22:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well thats lame, but what can you do.
Old 29 Dec 2005, 02:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

i always try to taqke 3 of them in a cityfight list... just because other players hate them...
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Closed Thread