Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Use of the Shotgun?
Closed Thread
Old 26 Dec 2005, 18:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Use of the Shotgun?

The Shotgun looks terrible. It has the range of a Melta Gun with the strength of a Lasgun. It is Assault 2 like a Storm Bolter, but that won't matter because of the low range. A Lasgun allows you to have 2 shots at 12'' like the Shotgun, and 1 shot at 24''. What is the use of the Shotgun? Is there something I'm not getting at, or did GW ruin one of my favorite weapons?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 26 Dec 2005, 18:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Use of the Shotgun?

You know, I had the same thought.

Why use a shot gun when you usually get a laspistol+CCW, which has the same amount of dakka and a plus one attack?

Maybe they should make the shotgun Assault 3, AP 6. That would be an awesome weapon.
Old 26 Dec 2005, 18:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

you can shoot AND assault on the same turn if you use a shotgun, you cant do that with a lasgun. and you can only shoot once with a pistol if you want to charge. thats the main difference. i dont ever use shotguns, i think they are pointless.

Old 26 Dec 2005, 18:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

You know how a shotgun shoots a cartridge that shoots pellets in a lot of directions? At far range, the strength of the shotgun is minimal. But as you get closer, more pellets hit the target and you get more power. How about make it have an 18'' range (as any further would make it useless) and give it S3 AP6. Then, if at 12'', you get S4 AP6. Then, if at 6'', you get S6 AP6. Then if you were within 2'', you would get S6 AP4. This would represent the destructive power a shotgun has at close range and make it a good weapon. Right now, why pay 1 point for a Shotgun when you can get a Bolter or a Bolt Pistol for the same amount of points?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 26 Dec 2005, 20:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Thats far too complicated for GW's tiny minds to consider... even though it counds awesome.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 26 Dec 2005, 21:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
How about make it have an 18'' range (as any further would make it useless) and give it S3 AP6. Then, if at 12'', you get S4 AP6. Then, if at 6'', you get S6 AP6.
So a weapon that sprays everywhere should have superior firepower at short rifle/carbine/minigun range to an assault rifle, firepower at close-firefight range of a pulse charge, and at very close range the same power as a tank-mounted laser cannon!?

Shotgun statline is fine as is - it's effectively useless, except in very rare situations, but the statline is correct.
Old 26 Dec 2005, 21:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The shotgun used to be more complicated but now the game is simpler and quicker to play. In second edition the shotgun had a 1 inch blast.
Old 26 Dec 2005, 21:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rook Hawkins Send a message via MSN to Rook Hawkins

I think I liked it better when it used the marker.

Or Visit the Website!

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. [Stephen F Roberts
Old 26 Dec 2005, 22:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

The ONLY Reason you would take a shotgun over a lasgun is if you intend to get your units in close quickly, like Ambushing Catachans for instance and want them to be on the move and shoot 2 shot equielent of a lasgun. so instead of moving a squad with 10 lasguns and getting 10 lasgun shots you take 10 shotguns and then 20 shots of the same strength. To get the two shots from the lasgun you need to stay stationary. The shotgun has a major advantage over the lasgun in fast moving close proximety armies.
Old 26 Dec 2005, 23:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=J?=-
The ONLY Reason you would take a shotgun over a lasgun is if you intend to get your units in close quickly, like Ambushing Catachans for instance and want them to be on the move and shoot 2 shot equielent of a lasgun. so instead of moving a squad with 10 lasguns and getting 10 lasgun shots you take 10 shotguns and then 20 shots of the same strength. To get the two shots from the lasgun you need to stay stationary. The shotgun has a major advantage over the lasgun in fast moving close proximety armies.
um, no. lasgun are rapid fire weapons, that means that when you move you can fire twice at 12", if you dont move you fire once at maximum range. your point makes sense but you got the rapid fire weapon rules wrong. the only point of having a shotgun is if your going to charge your guardsmen into combat. other than that there is none. rippers are basicly bolter sized shotguns, which is why they are given to units that will charge.

Closed Thread