Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sentinels
Closed Thread
Old 26 Dec 2005, 02:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Sentinels

Do the [cadian pattern] sentinels have a useful place in a mechanized army? I'm creating a mechanized army with grenadiers in chimeras as the troops, a command squad in chimera for hq, a leman russ, and ratlings to inflitrate. Just general, but wondering if sentinels would be a good addition. thinking their anti-tank would be very useful.
When Chuck Norris has sex with a man, it is not because he is gay, but because he has run out of women.
Since 1940, the year Chuck Norris was born, roundhouse kick related deaths have increased 13,000 percent.
There are no disabled people. Only people who have met Chuck Norris.
Chuck Norris does not have AIDS but he gives it to people anyway.
The chief export of Chuck Norris is pain.
On the 7th day, God rested.... Chuck Norris took over.
Old 26 Dec 2005, 03:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy
Default Re: Sentinels

anti tank or personell, sentinels work magic on the feild with their speed. they arent built like a tank, but arent hard to use.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 26 Dec 2005, 05:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, Cadian Pattern means autocannon, so I would say it's a good choice. It's double shot and high strength make it a good weapon to scoot around and either blow stuff up or lay down some serious suppresive fire.

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 26 Dec 2005, 05:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't use them as they are as fragile as a wine glass, but putting a squad in the back can make a mobile platform able to rain down Autocannon or Lascannon fire. Cadian is good as you get a very long-range, powerful weapon with a decent rate of fire, but I personally like Armageddon best. Lascannons serve as a psychological terror. Mars is average, but you can more easily get a Multi-Laser on a Chimera. Catachan is not very good, as you will get shot up, and things that do survive have a chance of glancing it in assault. I just wish you could take a Missile Launcher, maybe being a Tanith patern. It would make a more versatile vehicle. Just remember that Sentinels are exactly like Anti-Tank and Fire Support Squads, except only 1 weapon can be taken and it is mobile

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 26 Dec 2005, 09:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

To answer the question relating to the Cadian patten in AC- I'd say if you take a squad of three, take three Cadian Pattern, if you take one per choice then take a mix... each sentinel is worth it's points 10 fold in the right circumstance.

To say which is the 'best'- IMHO i beleive the Catachan Pattern to be the best. Equip it with a couple of smoke launchers and make sure you use your 6" move before the game starts and it's heavy flamer is dead to squads or infantry. Give it a HK missile and then it's deadly to tanks as well. Give it a chainsaw it becomes great in CC. The smoke launchers prevent it from being shot at and reduce chance of it being destroyed before it does it's dirty work. And with it being cheap, it also means it's expendable.
Old 26 Dec 2005, 09:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Black Behemoth
I just wish you could take a Missile Launcher, maybe being a Tanith patern.
there is one, but you have to buy it from forgeworld

Old 26 Dec 2005, 15:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

But I don't play with FW and my hobby shop doesn't sell them, so all I can do is hope to god that they bring it over in the half a decade it takes to wait for a new IG codex.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 26 Dec 2005, 22:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

There are three extra parrten sentinels- Heavy bolter, Missile launcher and Multi melta. Simply convert them. Thats what i'm doing.

If you do decide to use one of the other three in an AC list then i'd opt for the Missile launcher one, unless your Vs' a few more tanks then usual in which case id take the multi-metla one and smoke launchers
Old 02 Jan 2006, 13:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Chugmuffin

If you get the Cadian pattern then the gun will be auto cannon. With that you can stomp around and blow stuff up. although the bad thing about them is they're 10 all around. So unless you have a couple of squadrons with two or three, they won't do you much good
- Wargamer...
Old 02 Jan 2006, 14:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Stooga

I've found that sentinels are quite durable... Armour 10 isn't that bad, and they don't look dangerous, so they're not likely to become fire magnets.
Best of all, they're ridiculously cheap! Well, sorta, if you don't take the expensive weapon options or get them armoured crew compartments.
When playing angainst other guards, or Fire Warriors,Orks or some tyranids, catachan pattern sentinels are very effective speedbumbs/fire preventers. Charge S3 assault units with them so they don't reach your lines, or tie up advancing gunnery squads so that they don't get a chancew to fire. They'll be stuck in that combat for at least a couple of turns, which might make the sentinels worth their points.
Closed Thread