Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A guide to Assaulty Command Squads
Closed Thread
Old 18 Dec 2005, 16:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default A guide to Assaulty Command Squads

Well, Commissar Black Behemoth has asked about shooty Command Squads, so I will not ask about, but ask you, the reader, to post your most successful and recommended assaulty Command Squad.
They can be many many points, as you can never spare the budget when equipping a Command squad to do battle with a Deamon Prince!

Here's my guide, and mine will come later. It works amazingly well against battle-suits and weaker Tau, but it can still succumb a Chaos possessed squad on a good day.

1. HSO- These are crucial for their attack number and their I, and they will usually get first blow against anything Tau can throw at you. Equip them with power weapons or fists, and give them either a bolt pistol or Plasma pistol. All medals and upgrades, like master-crafted HH weapons will ensure a hit.

2. Commissar- These are a must have for the assaulty Command Squad. Without a doubt, I have never been more grateful for anything than a Commissar. Equip them with power weapons, [or fist] and of course, plasma or bolt pistol. They will serve you well. All upgrades are always fun.

3. Priest- Although I never use these guys, I have heard of their amazing abilities. While costing little, these fanatics will lead your men into the fray with no look back. Their weapons are good as they are, but a few upgrades never hurt.

4. Pyskers- Again, I don't use 'em, but used with a force weapon, they can actually kill a Carnifex or Deamon with one hit! Just make sure you have a Commissar with you! Plasma pistols or bolt pistols are a good choice, too.

5. Veteran Sergeant- These are incredibly useful as they cannot be picked out. Equip them with a Plasma pistol [or bolt] and DEFINATELY a power fist. They will still strike at I 1, but you can lose 3 men before he keels over. He is usually the one who does the most damage when it comes to Carnifexes and Deamons, or even battlesuits and tanks. Strangely, I don't use one...

6. Medic- Always equip a medic, just in case a grot has just wounded your HSO and he failed the armour save. They can't do a thing against power or Insta-kill, but they're usefull against Tau. I usually use one.

7. Standard Bearer- Always take leadership bonuses, as they will help your men stay in line even when the HSO dies out. A Regimental Standard is useful for adding +1 attack, but just beware the enemy can take it!

8. Meat Shields- These cannot be in our command squad, but keep them next to it to tie up a squad while your HQ deals with the first. Your meat shield will most likely die, but by then, your HQ is unlocked and ready to rip!

Here is the one I use in most games with Tau, orks, or Chaos.

Command HQ
General Stankov [HSO]
Master crafted power axe, bolt pistol, carapace armor, refractor field, trademark item [ax], purity seals, and Macharian Cross
Veteran
Regimental Standard and purity seals
Veteran
Plasma gun
Veteran
Comm-link
Veteran
Medic
Chimera
Turret Autocannon, hull lascannon [conversion, its command transport] searchlight, ruff terrain mod, mine sweeper, track guards, smoke launchers

Commissars
Commissar Yeschensovich
Bolt pistol, power fist, purity seals, carapace, and refractor field
Commissar
Bolt pistol, power sword, refractor field, and trademark item [cloak]
Commissar
Bolt pistol, power ax, purity seals, carapace, and refractor field
Commissar
Bolter, power sword, laspistol, carapace,

One of these commissar usually joins up.

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 18 Dec 2005, 16:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: A guide to Assaulty Command Squads

I like this for an assaulty command squad, especially if you take the Drop Troops doctrine.

- HSO w/ Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol
- 2 Guardsmen w/ Meltaguns (these things will do MAJOR damage on the turn you deep-strike in)
- 1 Medic
- 1 Standard Bearer w/ Regimental Standard (it makes the assault twice as good)

- 1 Commissar w/ Power Weapon, Power Fist, Bolt Pistol

- 1 Priest w/ Evicerator, Bolt Pistol, Carapace Armor, Holy Relic (+1 attack, a destructive Evicerator, AND rerolling attacks. SWEET! The carapace improves his lack of save, so its worth it)

- 1 Sactioned Psyker w/ Honorifica Imperialis, Force Weapon (the Honorifica will improve his terrible stats, making his Force Weapon more useful, and able to do lots of damage. If only I could give him a Power Fist. He'd be the most destructive cc unit in the army)

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 16:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

i would not suggest the powerfists unless for a commisar. power fists always attack lst, which does not always help when confronting a non tau enemy.

power weapons, however, are much more cost efficient at 1/4 the points cost of the fist. power weapons also let your hso attack at a reasonable initative. in addition, power weapons assure you that if your vet goes down, you did not over do the points.

plasma for a vet also seems a little excessive, since he wont long unless he has cerapace armor when it over heats (which it will.) bolt pistols (for me) are more cost efficient for my vets, being reasonably strong and better than a las pistol.

i usualy use a master vox instead of a standard bearer, since it is a little cheaper than the standard, but the standard has the 12 inch leadership boost

BB:deep striking your HQ insures their death.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 16:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Not if you deep-strike an entire Infantry Platoon alongside it.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 16:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

then why not just send the infantry platoon(s) with melta guns and avoid loosing your HQ?

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 17:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Why not both? You could deep-strike the HQ behind the infantry and then, when they can, they can charge the enemy.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Old 18 Dec 2005, 17:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

i dont chance my hq right away so i can use them when i need them later. i see your deep striking point, but, lets say right after DS against the tanks, you get charged by a bunch of marine vets or somthing? you killes a tank, but lost the hq early in the game. not fun at all.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 17:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorcyca (formerly fingolfin)
i dont chance my hq right away so i can use them when i need them later. i see your deep striking point, but, lets say right after DS against the tanks, you get charged by a bunch of marine vets or somthing? you killes a tank, but lost the hq early in the game. not fun at all.
But they will hold the marines up for a turn or two. so the rest of your men can focus on the other squads. then when the assaulting marines finish and look up, theres 50 guardsmen lined up infront of them. your HQ really isn't very important game wise. give your men a veteran sargeant for 6 points, put them in close order and your leadership 9 already. fluff wise guard armies are useless without command squads, infact all armies are useless without commanders, but in the game the command squad doesn't lead the army, you do.

Old 18 Dec 2005, 17:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

well, if it was a platoon hq or somthig, i would be all for it. however, chancing a SO or a HSO that early on seems a waste of points.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 17:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorcyca (formerly fingolfin)
well, if it was a platoon hq or somthig, i would be all for it. however, chancing a SO or a HSO that early on seems a waste of points.
why? what else are they going to do other than attack.

Closed Thread