Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Close Combat Guard
Closed Thread
Old 15 Oct 2004, 00:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Brother-Captain
Default Close Combat Guard

Lately, i've been working on assembling an army list of Imperial Guard that reflects my Space Marine Chapter. My chapter have an excellent number of fast troops and assault troops, and as I look at my options in the guard, I begin to see a bit of a problem. Guard (as we all know!) aern't the best close combat fighters, but none the less I want to assemble a sucessful close combat oriented army. I've been toying with warrior weapons, hellhounds and leman rush demolishers for close range support, that and several armored fist squads and I think i'm getting somewhere.

Any advice on this subject, i'd be glad for the help, and yes I understand this is a bad idea, but I want to do it anyway.

"Death is but a passing into a new existance, Heresy is the only true form of death, as it leads to damnation." -Attributed to Cheif Librarian Varcus

If you feel like striking up a good conversation, Warhammer related or otherwise, contact me on my AIM name (Specter Zerus)
Old 15 Oct 2004, 01:18   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Close Combat Guard

Well with my planned Guard army, the Danitun Guard (fluff can be found here but thats getting updated soon) is in short, a Khornate worshipping band of traitors. Although I haven't gone the whole hog with close combat (I'm gonna rely upon my more then capable Khorne allies for that), I've instead gone a for a more balanced approach. My planned list (found here) features Ogryns, a kitted out command squad with bolt pistols and close combat weapons led by Officer with master crafted power weapon and Dantuus, a Priest. But I've also included some shooty stuff, Leman Russ, Basilisk, Warbands (Conscripts) and some Sentinels.

In all I suppose you can'y really have a fully combat IG army and have a good chance of winning especially when you got stuff like Iyendan, Necrons and Eldar which do better in combat or have the resilience to stave off your best efforts to obliterate them.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 01:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Brother-Captain

Hrm.

You do have a point there, and what kind of Guard army would be complete without lots and lots of guns anyway? Heh.

Well maybe it would be better to sticking with a mobile army, with some longer range support then. At the most I can throw in a few of those warrior weapon indoctrinated squads, use them to close in the for the final assault.

By the way, are the Conscripts any good? I know they are very cheap and plentiful but with a BS/WS of 2... I don't know if they would be of much use.

I also like your Danitun Guard, I love fighting against Chaos, especially with my Marines and the whole idea of having normal guardsmen going Khorne is something i've never heard of before either.

"Death is but a passing into a new existance, Heresy is the only true form of death, as it leads to damnation." -Attributed to Cheif Librarian Varcus

If you feel like striking up a good conversation, Warhammer related or otherwise, contact me on my AIM name (Specter Zerus)
Old 15 Oct 2004, 01:29   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well in a way, I suppose their not that good looking at the profile of a single Conscript, but their like Grots, pack em in larger herds and you've got trouble on your hands.

And thanks for the compliment on my idea. I knew it hasn't been done before and thats partly why I did it lol. Plus I think Guardsmen kitted out with knives, bayonets and basically generally nasty sons of... are kind of cool.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 07:54   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Grenadiers with the Hardened Fighters Doctrine and a Chimera, preferably led by a sergeant with the Honorifica, a Preacher and a Commissar. That should do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 15 Oct 2004, 14:12   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Man, you suggest Doctrines after putting me off the idea... Man your so inconsistant Wargamer lol.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 19:40   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well I can't promise they'll work against a half-decent assault unit, but against other Guard, or Tau, they'll do fine.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 15 Oct 2004, 19:53   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Yep I can vouce for that, just read my first post in this topic... It's as simple as Guard can't win without some heavy weapons...
Old 16 Oct 2004, 11:46   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

Do guard still get ogryns? they do all right.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 16 Oct 2004, 12:51   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Yup, Ogryns are still around, though not many people use them...

Quote:
Closed Thread