Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rough Riders?
Closed Thread
Old 14 Dec 2005, 12:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Rough Riders?

Does anyone use these horsemen? They are mad fast and can do pretty good in close combat, since you can give some of your guys Hunting Lances and the Veteran Sergeant can take a Power Weapon. They also serve as fast, deadly tankhunters, since the squad can carry Meltabombs and one RR can take a Meltagun. Pretty good for their low points cost. Does anyone use them?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 13:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Rough Riders?

I find them intensely cool. And really, if you like the idea that a guardsmen is just a normal guy with a rifle who is made to face indescribable horrors, how much cooler is the guy who chooses to do that while riding a horse?

The problem with the rough riders is that they're the ultimate one-shot unit (and that's saying something, since the entire IG list is comprised of one-shot units). Once they've been expended in a close combat charge, they're just normal guardsmen with some extra movement. As that goes, they could still be used to run out and claim an objective, but if they end up in a second combat, they'll be consumed. Heck, if they take incoming fire, they'll likely be consumed.

Making them tank hunters doesn't strike me as a terribly sound plan. Melta Bombs require that somebody do the Death or Glory thing, and if that fails the squad is likely to get ripped to pieces. If it succeeds, they'll be targeted for immediate death, and will probably get ripped to pieces.

But even beyond that, doing the Death or Glory move requires your opponent to decide to tank shock your unit. I can see wanting to do that if a unit is spread out, and the tanker wants to bunch them back together prior to using a flamer on them. But if you're facing, say, a Land Raider, you're more likely to just get shot without being jostled together first.

All told, I like them for their flavor, and their ability to get people's attention. If you're willing to recognize that they're a finesse unit rather than an asssault unit, they can do good things for you.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 13:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Austin
Making them tank hunters doesn't strike me as a terribly sound plan.* Melta Bombs require that somebody do the Death or Glory thing, and if that fails the squad is likely to get ripped to pieces.* If it succeeds, they'll be targeted for immediate death, and will probably get ripped to pieces.*
or, heres an odd idea, you could assault the tank. its just an idea but its worked for me, melta bombs are grenades and you can use them in closecombat. I use roughriders in my closecombat IG army, and they are the only usefull anti tank ive got.

Old 14 Dec 2005, 13:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

i htink that they are pretty neat. they, however wont last long. this means you have to act fast to *get their points worth.they are also very fluffy and an unconfentional doctrine point.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 14:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah...very fluffy...but making them look halfway decent takes massive conversion. The GW version is absolutely horrible. Genghis Khan and friends? Give me a break! At best, the'd look somewhat decent in a tallarn army. For Anyone else...you pretty much have to change the rider, if not the mount. The best one I saw was a cadian on a dirtbike...but the parts you have to buy for the conversion add up to $45/model! So I'm thinking of mounting some on cold ones from WFB.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 14 Dec 2005, 14:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

thats how it has to be done for catachans.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 22:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
Yeah...very fluffy...but making them look halfway decent takes massive conversion. The GW version is absolutely horrible. Genghis Khan and friends? Give me a break!
im using LOTR Haradrim raiders, they're on horses, they got little arabian head gear, they've got lances, what more do i need. and the closest gameworkshop is in manchester so i dont have to worry about GW lawyers kicking my door down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
The best one I saw was a cadian on a dirtbike
i think forgeworld actually makes those, but i can't remember, either way they look amazing. i think the steel legion should use something like that *cough*mad max*cough*

Old 14 Dec 2005, 22:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I was thinking of using Cyber-mastiffs as rough riders in a themed adeptus arbites army. They'd be rough riders with carapace armour, but not hunting lances, I just can't think of a justification for that.

The squad seargent could be an Arbite on bike who's the dog handler. Conveting one guy on bike is more reasonable than a whole squadron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 03:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

For a Gue'vesa army, could you maybe use a Krootox or those Forgeworld Kroot things, or even jetbikes, in place of the horse. And are there any good Fantasy models that make better lancers?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 08:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Black Behemoth
For a Gue'vesa army, could you maybe use a Krootox or those Forgeworld Kroot things, or even jetbikes, in place of the horse. And are there any good Fantasy models that make better lancers?
empire pistoliers? they've got guns

Closed Thread