Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

500 points Imperial Guard
Closed Thread
Old 11 Dec 2005, 22:53   #1 (permalink)
Joob

Default 500 points Imperial Guard

This is my first army. I've read up a little on starting armies but still. Go easy.

Thanks for any replies

Old 11 Dec 2005, 23:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: 500 points Imperial Guard

Well, its a versitile army with GLs and MLs, which have krak or frag.

It sorely lacks an assault force though, which is going to be crucial for counter-assault when dealing with armies like Khorne, Eldar, and Space Marines, not to mention Tyranids.
It would be better to throw some Meltas in with your Command squad, and give the JO, who should be a SO, a poower weapon, plasma or bolt pistol, carapace armour, and other upgrades.
This will be a good counter-measure for any assaults being thrown at you. It would be wise, also, to include a Chimera to transport them to an area of need of leadership and/or assault power.

A Leman Russ would nay go amiss either

Both options will shrink your primary infantry supply, but massed lasguns never did much.
If your after cannon fodder, go for conscripts and maybe a commissar.

Looks very balanced, though.

Good work!

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 12 Dec 2005, 03:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

good job for a first list.your next one should look into the other trop options like armored fist squads and conscripts, both of which are versitile in their uses.

i would say that you should keep the GL/ML mix, but i would spend a little more on the officers and their command squad since you still lack a center piece to your army (ie plasma/melta armed vetrans in a chimera or somthing.)

once again, good job

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 10:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

No! No! No!

No matter how much you spend on an imperial guard officer, he's still toughness 3. I wouldn't give them anything but a boltpistol and a power sword. After that, it's points down the drain.

I can't comment too much on the army list, though, it's only giving me the little box with a red "x" in it (busted link?) But, based on the comments of others, I do agree that a non-assaulty IG army should have some tanks.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 12 Dec 2005, 15:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

For 500 pts you can't include much more. If you get a tank you will loose loads of infantry. In small games which lack a great deal of heavy weapons the chimera can be a pain though, and it mounts quite a lot of weapons. I wouldn't include any counter charging units as the other suggest. Whatever you get you will loose in close combat anyway, better spend the points on killing as much as possible before they get to you. Then rely on numbers. As it is now your officers are unarmed, at least give them a bolter. I think you need more missile launchers as well, at least one more because a single missile launcher wont kill many tanks. Autocannons are good against heavy infantry and light transports but what if you re opponent has a tank or a dreadnought?

So what's you're friends playing? have you had any games yet?
Old 13 Dec 2005, 12:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ooh...I disagree, pontus...a single leman russ would take 1/3 of your points at the 500 point level...but it'll be extremely hard to kill in such a small game. Especially against power-armored foes, I think it's worth sacrificing 2 squads of infantry.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 13 Dec 2005, 17:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well let's agree too disagree then march10k I mean it would be fun to try it out once but will not work in the long run,
Old 13 Dec 2005, 18:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

im with pontus on this one... the infantry squads are too important to sacrifice. an armored fist squad, maybe... but not a full out leman russ

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 20:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i would maybe give the officer a powersword but thats about as far as i'd go. its not very good to over tool guardsmen and its even worse in a small game.

The leman russ would eat to many points in my opinion, so i wouldn't take it.(well i would but thats because im a tread head, its not worth the points in this battle unless you fight smurfs or necrons.)

The chimera would be a great addition though, providing light armour, speed and great firepower. i love the chimera in small games because its great at mowing down infantry and can switch to light tank hunting in an emergency.

Personally i wouldnt be too worried about counter assualting unless you take the russ. with this army you'll have enough models to lock assault units enough to shoot them down later.(not to mentions super duper assualt machines are rare in this size battle)

Old 13 Dec 2005, 21:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

There was a thread a bit ago that involved a 500 point force that managed to squeeze in a Demolisher. It was a pretty stripped down list, but it can certainly be done. And as that goes, I'm absolutely with march10k. Without some heavy backup, the guardsmen in a 500 point game are going to get massacred. Quickly. Take a tank. The Demolisher is a nice one, but even a regular Russ is just fine. Just put the triple Heavy Bolters on it, and have everyone else hide behind it.

This, however, brings up a better point, and it is this: Don't play at less than 1000 points. Just don't. The Guard can't function effectively at point totals below 1000. Certainly, discussion can be had over getting this or taking that and maximizing the guard's advantages even at such a small total as 500. Realistically, though, 1000 is the low-end for a guard list containing units that can do more than cluster together and wait for inevitable death.

Joob, if this is your first list, and you're just getting into IG and so forth, good on ya. However, plan your model purchases at 1000 points, not 500. That said, If you absolutely only want to buy 500 points worth of models in order to get your feet wet and see how it plays, you should definitely take a tank. Ultimately, it's less to build and less to paint, though the monetary cost is probably a wash in comparison to buying lots more infantry.

Closed Thread