Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Genestealer cult using IG rules?
Closed Thread
Old 11 Dec 2005, 19:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to snipin_joe
Default Genestealer cult using IG rules?

I'm currently working on a genestealer cult army list, but im not sure how to fit certain things into the list. I'm probaly just gonna use hybrid models for my elites, brood brother comrades for an infantry platoon and brood brother initiates for conscripts. I'm not sure, however how to use the Magus, Patriarch, or Purestrain genestealers in my army. Any advice?
Old 12 Dec 2005, 07:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Genestealer cult using IG rules?

A Magus could be a Sanctioned Psyker with an Honorifica Imperialis. The problem with using the IG list for Genestealer Cults is just that, though, you have no stats for gribblies like the Patriarch and the Purestrains. The LatD list is better, though it still doesn't have any good models for Purestrains. In my opinion, you should just use the actual Nid army list. It's what I did and I have a 1500pts army list of:
Genestealer Patriarch (Broodlord)
11 Purestrain Genetsealers Retinue (Genestealers)
7 Genestealer Hybrids (Warriors)
Genestealer Matriarch (Lictor) (this is an idea that the Genestealer Cults might have some specially adapted stealth Stealer for removing opposition to the Cult before they declare outright war)
12 Purestrain Genestealers (Genestealers)
20 Brood Brother Comrades, split into two groups of 10 (Gaunts)
32 Brood Brother Initiates (Gaunts)
3 Brood Brother Initiate Human Bombs (Spore Mines)
Magus (Zoanthrope)
Brood Brother Comrade Officer (Zoanthrope)
3 Brood Brother Comrade Mortar teams (Biovores)

The upside to using the Nids list is that the Gaunts have a relatively human profile, so you do have the rules for human units, plus you still have all of the gribblies. Additionally, you can buy 32 cheap troops in one slot for less than the cost of a basic Guard Infantry Platoon and have more models there.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 07:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would not give up on the IG rules so fast. No broodlord maybe, but with the help of the Abhuman doctrines from White dwarf I am sure that you can get a nice cult army.

My blog: http://mattiknife.wordpress.com
Old 12 Dec 2005, 12:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well there's the Feral Ogryns (Hybrids are already covered by regular Ogryns), the Afriel Strain (I don't think that a Genestealer Cult would have much infighting and without the Patriarch, there's little they feel so valiant and courageous about other than the Magus), the Nightsiders (doesn't make much sense with Genestealers), the Beastmen (it seems okay but it's only available to Conscript Platoons, so you have no psychotic Comrades or Hybrids) or Gland Warriors (still doesn't afford you anything like Purestrains).

The best Doctrines you could get from the Abhuman selection would be the Afriel Strain for the Command Squad of the Command Platoon and then give that squad the Magus (Sanctioned Psyker plus Honorifica), or the Beastmen one, which would give you crazed mobs of Initiates, however there still isn't much to go by the way of actual Nid gribblies.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 19:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to snipin_joe

Yeah, i guess i just wanted a way to put genestealers into a chimera and have an excuse to make a russ into a cultist engine of doom.....
Old 12 Dec 2005, 19:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Stooga

Wouldn't rough riders (with 2 CCW's) work better as purestrains than ogryns would? They have Fleet...
And they aren't close combat killing machines... but ogryns, with 3 wounds and S5? What sort of monster genestealer is that?
Old 13 Dec 2005, 07:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ogryns work as Hybrids, however Roughriders do not work as Genestealers. They have a basic human profile, whereas the Genestealers are vastly superior. Purestrains also don't have a 12" assault range. The one final thing is that there's no Cult Limo transport option. A Chimera is too heavily armed and armoured to realistically be used as a Cult Limo.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 08:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Don't forget the Kroot Mercs. Those are the great overlooked units for 'counts as' proxying armies.

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

[i]All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

- A public service clarification by the Sri Syadasti School of Spiritual Wisdom
Old 13 Dec 2005, 12:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Kroot would only work well as Hybrids though.