Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Basilisk
Closed Thread
Old 11 Dec 2005, 02:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Basilisk

Is the Basilisk worth the 125 pts (with indirect) when it has a 36in blind spot?

The mothman
Old 11 Dec 2005, 02:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy
Default Re: Basilisk

i never take them for that reason. go for griffons if you can. the only downside is that you need your opponents permission

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 03:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, if my reasoning is correct, you only recieve the blindspot if you want to fire indirectly. Its not one or the other the whole game, you can adjust hight.

Its well worth it for its Marine killing capabilities, and for its physchological impact, and they make great additions to any army.

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 11 Dec 2005, 03:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

IIRC, you can still fire it directly as the upgrade actually mentions training variations rather than actuall weapon moddifications. The problems with firing directly from an AV12/10 platform who's main weapon is enough to scare most players into aiming a full Broadside team at it are obvious, however...

The biggest downside to the Basilisk is the fact that many hardcore IG players will instantly label you a noob... whereas any opposing player who prefers you to use a Basilisk over a Griffon seriously needs a whack in the head.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 08:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah...my basilisk was the star of every 3rd edition battle I fought (after 4+ years, I was still using it, anyone using the presence of a bassie as a "noob indicator" is a fool. That's just as bad as saying you're a noob just because you play space marines)...hull-down AV12 was better than AV14 in the open, IMHO...but in 4th edition? Meh..."obscured" leaves it way too vulnerable, so I've traded up to the demolisher.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 11 Dec 2005, 22:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

March, you did exactly what I just did.
I have had the Bassie as my first AFV, but in 4th, I traded it for a Demolisher for more strength.
Baslisks are really not a Noob AFV. They are labelled that becasue they are relatively easy to use, and, they WORK. Thats why I use it. Its active the whole game, and behind a hill, it really packs a punch.
Without indirect, however, I would never use it.

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 12 Dec 2005, 10:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, I didn't trade for the extra point of strength, I traded for AV14/13....but AP2 is nice, too!

Anyway, I don't believe in indirect basilisks. IG likes their standoff, and that 36" minimum range does nothing but encourage the enemy to get closer to you...which is a bad thing.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 12 Dec 2005, 15:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
Well, I didn't trade for the extra point of strength, I traded for AV14/13....but AP2 is nice, too!

Anyway, I don't believe in indirect basilisks. IG likes their standoff, and that 36" minimum range does nothing but encourage the enemy to get closer to you...which is a bad thing.
if seeing 150 guardsmen lined up with a few leman russes behind them doesnt encourage your opponent to move forward then the basilisk wont. i like indirect basilisking becuase of the fact that it pisses people off to no end, and angry people make mistakes.

Old 12 Dec 2005, 18:49   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I hate the Basilisk. It has no place in 40K.

In Epic, it's fantastic, but 40K... no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 12 Dec 2005, 22:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Also the blind spot is only for the cannon it also has a H.Bolter.

The direct bombardment is useless on small boards but great on eavry thing 8ft+
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Closed Thread