Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactics versus Marines and Necrons
Closed Thread
Old 09 Dec 2005, 15:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tactics versus Marines and Necrons

There aren't many articles on how IG kill necrons and space marines, so could I have some tips on how to do so, and some units I should use?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 09 Dec 2005, 17:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Tactics versus Marines and Necrons

missile launchers seem obvious. it really depends what kind of IG army your using, carapace is uselfull since you'll be dealing with AP5 all the way but i prefer reserving that for tau. Leman russes of course are a god send against spacemarines, a bit dangerous to use against necrons where there high front armour is a joke to warriors, but still usefull.
A basilisk might be a better alternative. Tactic wise, against necrons focus your fire, make every guardsmen fire at a single squad if its necessary. and make sure you take down all the tomb spiders. when fighting necrons target picking is very important, my theory is spiders first, then anything quick(wratiths i think move fairly fast) and then nuklearise one squad of warriors at a time until the whole lot phase out.

against marines theres to much variety in their armies, you tactics can change alot from chapter to chapter, and im to lazy to write something for all of them.

Old 09 Dec 2005, 18:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Against Ultramarines then? And relatively static Necrons?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 09 Dec 2005, 20:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Kais

well, stock up on autocannons would be a start. against a good strenght spazzy marine army, i'd take 6 if possible, then I take 3 missile launchers, I also take a grenade launcher in every squad. then i would say, get in cover and stay out of combat at all costs. unless it's your CO with a plasma pistoal and a power sword, witha commissar, preist etc, leg it. I've had a whole conscipt platoon of 50 wiped out by a single squad of marines in combat, because conscrips run, and marines run faster...

so:
Autocannons (anti heavy inf)
Grenade+ Missile launchers
some combat troops (i'd take ogryns) this way if you have to fall back to stay out of CC, the ogryns cansmash the marnins in combat
Battle/demolisher/earthshaker cannons. you need a tank with a gun that can take out at least haldf a squad instant in one shot.

- Kais

>>Latest Sig<<
Old 09 Dec 2005, 20:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wouldn't a Plasmagun or Meltagun do better than a Grenade Launcher, since they have low AP?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Old 09 Dec 2005, 20:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander

Agianst Necrons, i'd use Leamn Russes. *Their front armor may be a joke to Necrons, but their army has such short range. *If you can start shooting weapons like lascannons, missile launchers, battle cannons, et.c, then you'll be good. *As Elessar said, target Tomb Spyders first. Then hit up Wraiths and Scarabs (battle cannons+scarabs=heaven for IG army), which will be fast and able to chew through your Guards,em in combat. *Then focus on any destroyers and heavy destroyers-since they are ok ranged and powerful, you'll want to destroy these. *

If the Necron army has a Lord with power that allows him to teleport guys, kill him first, especially if he has that AND *resurection orb. *

Alternatively, you can focus solely on Warriors and other Necrons. *if you take down enough, they;ll phase out. *Take, say, 3 Leman Russes, some lascannons, and you'll pummel the lords to death. *With the instant death rule, they won't be able to make a WBB roll, and they won't get an armor save. *If you take out the "Necron" units, you'll win before long.

Meltagun no, since it has such short range. If your that close, you won't be alive for long. Especially for Guardsmen. Plasma Gun sort of. It will attack wise, but they'll probably overheat on 2nd or 3rd shot, and bam there goes around 16 points.

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 10 Dec 2005, 10:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

plasma guns are good, but to pricey. you have to remember to to over stock your troops, you know your screwed when your playing IG against SMurfs and they outumber you. I'm not to fond of the auto cannon since it still allows armour saves, which at 3+ is a real problem. Not to mention missile launchers are very versatile switching to frag if your opponent uses allies or your firing at weaker stuff. also the extra strength will mean your opponent will either take terminator armour for all his HQ or risk loosing his best model on a 2+.

Old 10 Dec 2005, 11:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Against anything with 3+ saves, the only answer is pie plate goodness.* Against necrons, it's fine, just keep as far as possible from them to minimize the glancing hits.

Oh, and against these armies, go for heavy weapons, not special weapons. If you're close enough to shoot special weapons, not only is it probably turn 3 (when you could have been shooting a heavy weapon on turn 1), but the enemy is too close and you are about to get eviscerated by a chainsword.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 10 Dec 2005, 11:52   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

My suggesions:
  • Missile Launchers are your friend.
  • Heavy Bolters, and mass Lasguns, are also a good choice; the more saves they make, the more they will fail.
  • Leman Russ is a must. The Demolisher with Plasma Sponsons is also a very powerful unit.
  • Do not underestimate the Griffon Mortar. Most "Marine" players ignore it because it isn't AP3. A fatal mistake...
  • Hellhounds can cause a lot of damage, even against high-save enemies.
  • Bring lots of infantry; you need the cannon fodder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 10 Dec 2005, 16:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Kais

as mentioned, plasma would be nice but there are 2 things wrong with it:

Men with plasma, often become corpses
too, too pricey. it adds up wen you take enough to do some damage

>>Latest Sig<<
Closed Thread