Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

AB and the current Codex / 4th ed.
Old 06 Dec 2005, 23:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default AB and the current Codex / 4th ed.

Well, having finally managed to borrow of IA1 from a friend to make an Armoured Battlegroup list, but I have a few questions.

1) The IAvol1 entry for the Chimera is different than the Guard Codex entry - which shout I go by? (i.e., can I tank up on Autocannons?)

2) Is the Conquerer doomed to mediocrity with the new move-and-fire Ordinance rules?* It's a beutiful design, but doesn't hit as much with Heavy rather than Ordinance, and the nullification of it's mobility bonus makes it hardly worthwhile.

3) If it does come down to it, what is a better investment, a Conquerer or Exterminator?

As a preliminary list, how does this look?

HQ:
Company Command Tank (Vanquisher)

Elites:
Tank Squadron Commander (Conquerer, Exterminator or Executioner)
Armoured Fist Command Section

Troops:
Armoured Fists
One or Two tanks?

Fast Attack:
Salamander
Stormtroopers?
Sentinels?

Heavy Support:
Griffon Mortar
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2005, 08:51   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: AB and the current Codex / 4th ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra-Tuisich'Novae
1) The IAvol1 entry for the Chimera is different than the Guard Codex entry - which shout I go by? (i.e., can I tank up on Autocannons?)
IAvol1 was out of date almost immediately. As such, use the upgrade options from the 4th Edition Codex, but use the IAvol1 weapon options.

Quote:
2) Is the Conquerer doomed to mediocrity with the new move-and-fire Ordinance rules? It's a beutiful design, but doesn't hit as much with Heavy rather than Ordinance, and the nullification of it's mobility bonus makes it hardly worthwhile.
Conquerors are very cool tanks, although they were indeed nerfed in the 4th Edition.

Quote:
3) If it does come down to it, what is a better investment, a Conquerer or Exterminator?
Exterminator; cheaper, and more hits.

Quote:
Company Command Tank (Vanquisher)
NO! Do not take a Vanquisher as a Command Tank! It's a gun-magnet! Use a non-Ordnance tank.

Quote:
Elites:
Tank Squadron Commander (Conquerer, Exterminator or Executioner)
Armoured Fist Command Section
If you want a Vanquisher, here's where to take it. Can't comment on the AFCS without specifics.

Quote:
Troops:
Armoured Fists
One or Two tanks?
Bring at least one Leman, it's the law.

Quote:
Fast Attack:
Salamander
Stormtroopers?
Sentinels?
Pick whichever suits your style of play.

Quote:
Heavy Support:
Griffon Mortar
God-Emperor yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2005, 21:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Get storm troopers and deep strike them. No one will think of infantry when you have that many tanks.

Plus you can deep strike them. That's the actuall suprise.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2005, 22:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Actually... no, I can't. I'm using the Armoured Battalion rules, not the Armoured Company list - The closest you can get are mounting Storm Troopers in a Valkaryie.

Wargamer - thanks for the advice, the advantage of having not started collecting Guard yet is that I can move around and modify the list as much as I like before a single set of treads hits the table. I may just use the Vanquisher command for a game or two, untill I get the feel of the list, but the warning is appreciated.

And one other thing - as they provide full statlines for vehicle crew, does that mean they can abandon the vehicle on it's destruction, or just when it ceases to be realistically usefull?
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2005, 07:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i think you only roll to save crew we the vehicle is actually destroyed, but im not sure and you make a good point.

Also I'd change the vanquishers possision with the exterminator/conquerors. i wouldn't bother with the executioner at all unless you really love plasma weapons, the tank becomes useless as soon as you roll a 1 to hit.

Im not particularly fond of the heavy mortar, mostly because the model is crap. it just looks so wimpy standing next to a basilisks or a demolisher.

hey ive got a question myself, does the conqueror us the big template or the smaller one?

Elessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2005, 07:48   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

The reason I say put the Vanquisher as a Tank Ace, and not as a Commander is that the Tank Ace gets the exact same abilities, but costs less. Considering how pricey the Vanquisher is, you don't want to make it any more of a gun-magnet than you need to.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 08 Dec 2005, 10:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
i wouldn't bother with the executioner at all unless you really love plasma weapons, the tank becomes useless as soon as you roll a 1 to hit.
Uh...unless there's some special rule for the executioner that I don't know about...? Vehicle mounted plasma doesn't get hot...only man-portable plasma does. So rolling a 1 would be a miss, and nothing more.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
march10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2005, 10:15   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Indeed. Elessar, you need to read the 40K rules more carefully... as for the Conqueror Cannon, it is explained very clearly in IAvol1, and just about any other list that uses the Conqueror.

Finally, in responce to the Griffon looking "wimpy"... I'm not even touching that one.

Quote:
Old 08 Dec 2005, 21:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Indeed. Elessar, you need to read the 40K rules more carefully...
hey i missed one sentence in a 270 page book, relax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
as for the Conqueror Cannon, it is explained very clearly in IAvol1, and just about any other list that uses the Conqueror.
it says it uses a smaller less destructive shell, doesn't say anything about its blast radius. In the weapon description it says it uses the blast, not which one. normally this means the smaller one, but it also says /blast for the leman russ, and it uses the larger template. so then my train of thought goes, all ordenance weapons use the large blast template, so that why they didn't say large balst template. but then i thought if all ordenance weapons use the large blast template whats the point of saying it uses a blast at all, since the fact that its ordenance makes it rather obvious. so i've been kinda confused. so far ive been useing the small template, since using the the large one seems a bit to powerfull, but i wanted to be sure.

Elessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2005, 07:57   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Blast = Blast. Unless there is a prefix, such as "Large" or "Ordnance", you use the Blast template. If such a prefix exists, you use the Ordnance template.

Remember, this book was written before the "Large Blast" terminology became common.

Quote: