Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question on Griffon Mortar
Closed Thread
Old 02 Dec 2005, 00:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to SMRCommander
Default Question on Griffon Mortar

I was wondering-can the Griffon Mortar be used in a normal Imperial Guard list? I really liked these, and they'd fit in my Valhallan army. Can they be used, or are they like forgeworld (permission needed)?

Thinking of something appropriate to put into ym sig as of now...
Old 02 Dec 2005, 02:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Question on Griffon Mortar

They are still valid.
Old 02 Dec 2005, 03:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Whoah there, Vimes. Cite your source. On what list and in what way are Griffons still valid without some flavor of permission?

I'm aware that the Griffon appears in the White Dwarf Armored Company list as a valid option, but I don't see the connection between that and the regular codex rules. Is there such a connection I've missed somewhere?
Old 02 Dec 2005, 07:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

armoured companies are an official list i think. if their not then im guessing you'll need permission, if they are then you can take them with an armoured company, so im guessing they'll allow it in a normal list. but im just assuming here so don't base anything you do on what i say.

Old 02 Dec 2005, 09:04   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

100% legal. Anyone who says otherwise is a traitor, and you are legally sanctioned by Imperial Law to issue summary execution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 02 Dec 2005, 12:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Even if it did require permission, I'd allow it. I'd rather face a griffon than a demolisher!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 02 Dec 2005, 12:13   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Or a Basilisk... or a Leman Russ... or any other "Str 8 AP 3 or better" gun that the Guard is filled with. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 02 Dec 2005, 12:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It would be nice if people answered questions with the correct answer, instead of their desired answer.

The answer is no, Griffons are no longer a valid choice for a Codex: Imperial Guard army. That doesn't mean you cannot use one while playing with your friends, but it does require that you ask your opponent's permission, and it does mean that they won't be allowed at tournaments that are run without ForgeWorld rules.

The stats for the Griffon are now available through a ForgeWorld model though, and a lot of tournaments do allow Forgeworld models, as long as they're not Flyers or Superheavies, so that's something to take into account too.
Old 02 Dec 2005, 13:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

red beard, im pretty sure that griffons are still legal. the armored companies made chaper approved which ih turn ushered back in the griffons as well as the other tanks.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 02 Dec 2005, 14:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The armoured company list is not the same as the "Normal Imperial Guard" army that was the focus of the original poster's question.

While rules exist for the griffon in an armoured company list, it isn't a choice that is selectable by a normal guard list. Neither is a Vanquisher, or a Conqueror Russ variant. Armoured Company and Imperial Guard are different armies.

That's like saying that because a Wraithlord is a valid choice in an Eldar list, I should be able to take them in a Dark Elder army. Why not? I have a point cost and a model... :

The chapter approved article focuses only on Armoured Company. It doesn't say, "go ahead and interchange these into your Guard army". The Chapter Approved rules for Feral Orks don't let normal Orks run Madboyz and Squigoths afterall.

Again, this is just what the rules say. If you're playing with friends, I see no reason not to use the new point-cost and rules for the Griffon. But don't assume it to be acceptable at a tournament.
Closed Thread