Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Drop Troops Guard Army
Closed Thread
Old 27 Nov 2005, 21:34   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default New Drop Troops Guard Army

I've been reading some posts here and on other forums about Imperial Guard armies using the Drop Troops doctrine.* I have to say the idea sounds rather interesting, so I pulled out my copy of Army Builder and Codex: Imperial Guard to see what I could come up with.* I was trying to build a list that was all "drop-able" so no tanks or transports, just troops and Sentinels.* After a bit of thought this was the basic 1500 "starter" list I came up with.* At this point the only Doctrines I chose were Drop Troops and Special Weapons.* I was considering Light Infantry and Sharp Shooters, but since it costs points to implement either of those I thought I might wait until I decide to expand this list to the local 1850 standard.*

I've never done an IG army before, and this is certainly far from a "standard" IG style list, so if there are any little tricks or especially useful pieces of wargear I should consider, please let me know.* I obviously went for a really troops heavy list here and am relying on Plasma Guns, Meltaguns, and Grenade Launchers for most of my punch.* I'm not sure if I am making a big mistake by not including any lascannon or missile launcher teams, either attached to the HQ or to the Infantry Platoons but I thought the mobility of no heavy weapons might be a good thing for a list like this.* I'd be especially interested in hearing from people who have played with or against Drop Troop lists before.

Thanks!*

1500 Pts - Imperial Guard Roster - Drop Troops

Command Squad @ 179 Pts
* *1 Junior Officer
* * * Laspistol
* *4 Guardsmen
* * * Drop Troops; Vox Caster; Lasgun (x3); Grenade Launcher (x1)
* *6 Special Weapon Squad
* * * Drop Troops; Lasgun (x3); Flamer (x2); Demolition Charge (x1)
* *6 Special Weapon Squad
* * * Drop Troops; Lasgun (x3); Flamer (x2); Demolition Charge (x1)

Infantry Platoon @ 295 Pts
* *1 Junior Officer
* * * Close Combat Weapon; Laspistol
* *4 Guardsmen
* * * Drop Troops; Vox Caster; Plasma Gun (x4)
* *9 Infantry Squad
* * * Drop Troops; Lasgun (x8); Plasma Gun
* * * 1 Sergeant
* * * * *Lasgun
* *9 Infantry Squad
* * * 1 Sergeant
* * * * *Lasgun
* *9 Infantry Squad
* * * 1 Sergeant
* * * * *Lasgun

Infantry Platoon @ 295 Pts
* *1 Junior Officer
* *4 Guardsmen
* * * Drop Troops; Vox Caster; Meltagun (x4)
* *9 Infantry Squad
* * * Drop Troops; Lasgun (x8); Meltagun
* * * 1 Sergeant
* * * * *Lasgun
* *9 Infantry Squad @ [70] Pts
* * * 1 Sergeant
* * * * *Lasgun
* *9 Infantry Squad @ [70] Pts
* * * 1 Sergeant
* * * * *Lasgun

Infantry Platoon @ 281 Pts
* *1 Junior Officer
* *4 Guardsmen
* * * Drop Troops; Vox Caster; Grenade Launcher (x4)
* *9 Infantry Squad
* * * Drop Troops; Lasgun (x8); Grenade Launcher
* * * 1 Sergeant
* * * * *Lasgun
* *9 Infantry Squad @ [68] Pts
* * * 1 Sergeant
* * * * *Lasgun
* *9 Infantry Squad @ [68] Pts
* * * 1 Sergeant
* * * * *Lasgun

3 Sentinels @ 165 Pts
* *Extra Armour; Autocannon (x3)
* *3 Extra Armour

3 Sentinels @ 135 Pts
* *Extra Armour; Heavy Flamer (x3)
* *3 Extra Armour

3 Sentinels @ 150 Pts
* *Extra Armour; Multi-laser (x3)
* *3 Extra Armour

Total Roster Cost: 1500

Old 28 Nov 2005, 19:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy
Default Re: New Drop Troops Guard Army

neat list.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 28 Nov 2005, 19:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Looks good, but I am not a fan of the basic JO. Perhaps some upgrades, just in case you meet some tough special charackters?

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 28 Nov 2005, 23:42   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Cmdr. Stankov
Looks good, but I am not a fan of the basic JO. Perhaps some upgrades, just in case you meet some tough special charackters?
I don't know... My thought was that the JO was just there for Ld checks (hence the large number of Voc Casters) which he can do as well as a tooled-up Senior Officer. In that role he would be hanging back from the action, and any real upgrades would (hopefully) be wasted. I'm not sure about how worthwhile tooling up any IG commander would be, anyway. Any opposing HQ that is going to go chasing him down is probably going to smash him no matter what he is equipped with. Still, Guard are a totally new army to me. You might be right. ???

I have read about some other Drop Troop players giving the Command Squad 4 x Melta Guns and using them agressively. That was one possible alternative I had considered. Another change I might make is to give some Advanced Comms to some of the Sentinels, to assist in bringing the troops in from reserve. That would mean the Sentinels would start on the table instead of Deep Striking in. :-\
Old 29 Nov 2005, 13:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

nope. don't pump points into the JOs. Their squads exist to shoot. The most tricked out heroic senior officer will do less damage than 4 meltas will...and he'll cost more. And with just 4 meat shields, he'll live a very short life anyway.

Why the grenade launchers? I'd just take more meltas or more plasmas. You'll be dropping in close, so the added range doesn't help you as much as the AP on the other weapons will.

For maximum cheese, reduce each of your platoons by one squad, and use the points to get another platoon. This allows you to take another command squad...4 more meltas or 4 more plasmas.

I like the extra armor on the sentinels. Let's them charge into combat even when they can't shoot...trying up a devastator squad (since so few people upgrade and kit out the devastator sergeants) or other shooty element in hand to hand with an AV10 vehicle is priceless!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 30 Nov 2005, 01:46   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
Why the grenade launchers?* I'd just take more meltas or more plasmas.* You'll be dropping in close, so the added range doesn't help you as much as the AP on the other weapons will.
I guess it was mainly an issue of economics. The plastic grenadier models are a lot cheaper than the metal plasma gunners.

Quote:
For maximum cheese, reduce each of your platoons by one squad, and use the points to get another platoon.* This allows you to take another command squad...4 more meltas or 4 more plasmas.
I suppose that does make sense from a effectiveness view point. I mean, its not like I am going to be winning many "sportsmanship" awards fielding an army like this, anyway! :

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 20:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

hey considering you are bringing Imperial guardsmencloser, and not giving them any heavy support, or an elite back bone i wouldn't mind playing you. your army may be plasma rich but it isn't that much better to standard IG lists.

Old 30 Nov 2005, 21:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

There is one single overriding factor you must be aware of in dealing with a list like this, and that is this:* An all Drop Troop list exists to be as aggressive as possible.* Thus, each unit needs to be able to operate with maximum aggression, and with as much independence as possible.*

You're going to be dropping all over the place, and using every squad to fire like mad right from the get go.* That's totally fine, except that you're looking to use a Voxnet to deal with leadership issues.* Given that your HQs are going to be fighting just as thick as everybody else (and may not survive very long) you're probably better off dropping the voxes in favor of Veteran Sergeants in your regular squads.* It might even save you five or six points that way.

The lack of heavy weapons isn't a serious issue, since you'll be dropping into rear armor shots, where Plasma guns and/or Meltas are extra spiffy.

Personally, I dislike the demo charges.* I'd use another mess of Plasma instead.* But that's just me.*

And given that you're going to be dropping into base-to-base formation, Close Order Drill is a nice free doctrine that gives you a small (and occasionally important) bonus when your opponent charges your "just dropped in right next to us" squads.
Old 01 Dec 2005, 02:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm pretty sure FW has some heavy drop troops for Imperial Guard.

Or do those only go with the IA3?

Yes I know there expensive models but I bet you could make an exceptional convertions on the Heavy Weapons teams. If your into conversions you might shave off some of the stuff on the SMurfs back pack for a nice look on the infantry.

Old 01 Dec 2005, 11:28   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Austin
That's totally fine, except that you're looking to use a Voxnet to deal with leadership issues.* Given that your HQs are going to be fighting just as thick as everybody else (and may not survive very long) you're probably better off dropping the voxes in favor of Veteran Sergeants in your regular squads.* It might even save you five or six points that way.
This is a good point. After thinking about it, to make the "vox caster net" work I probably should take the master vox caster on the command squad, which is 20 point more. I may just try re-working my list without any vox casters like you suggest and see how that looks.

Quote:
Personally, I dislike the demo charges.* I'd use another mess of Plasma instead.* But that's just me.*
I'm not sure myself, since this is a whole new army for me. I think I am going to give it a try, and see how it works out. If I don't like it, I can always change them out for more plasmas or meltas later. ;D

Quote:
And given that you're going to be dropping into base-to-base formation, Close Order Drill is a nice free doctrine that gives you a small (and occasionally important) bonus when your opponent charges your "just dropped in right next to us" squads.
Ah! Good point! So, I'll be adding Close Order Drill to the list. ;D

Thanks!
Closed Thread