Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pyran Dragoons list
Closed Thread
Old 26 Nov 2005, 21:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Pyran Dragoons list

I've decided to try and make a very different sort of army. The Pyran Dragoons are practically all about the dragoons, so I've made my own Doctrines to make it work.

Pyran Dragoons: Close-Order Drill, Carapace, Veterans, Rough Riders are Troop Choices, Infantry are Heavy Support Choices, No Vehicles of any sort may be taken.

Well?
Old 26 Nov 2005, 22:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Pyran Dragoons list

1 simple thing... You're going to get blown to shreads instantly!
Old 27 Nov 2005, 00:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That's a very good point. You Imps love your tanks... and my Pyran list takes those all away. I was thinking that it would be a challenge more than anything.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 01:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Florida, USA, Earth, Sola segumuntum, third arm of spiral milky way galaxy, the universe.

plus that would cost more than a few gene-seed donations.

Khanaris: Rocks and pointy sticks are inexpensive, easy to maintain, and require little training, and almost never malfunction. That hardly makes them a perfect weapon.

"I know not what world war three will be founght with, but world war four with be fought with sticks and stones."
Old 27 Nov 2005, 01:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You mean that they would have to be SMs to be good. You guys haven't tried playing Imps without tanks? There's plenty of good fun to be had with mobs of guardsmen. In this case, it would be mobs of rough riders and veterans.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 03:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

well, rough riders are not points cost effective, they get taken out really easy

the no-tanks thing is fine, i think that sentinels would be a good choice in this army though...
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 27 Nov 2005, 10:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

If your looking for a list that is basically all Veterans (sorry no rough rider troops) without tanks then read up on the Catachans.
Old 27 Nov 2005, 14:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Florida, USA, Earth, Sola segumuntum, third arm of spiral milky way galaxy, the universe.

im sayign rought rider modles cost alot of money in comparsion to troop boxes.

troops: $35 for 20 modles.
rought riders: $10 for 1 modle.

Khanaris: Rocks and pointy sticks are inexpensive, easy to maintain, and require little training, and almost never malfunction. That hardly makes them a perfect weapon.

"I know not what world war three will be founght with, but world war four with be fought with sticks and stones."
Old 30 Nov 2005, 00:43   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

You could convert it would be cheaper and look beter. You should use the new wood elf horses they're beautiful.
Old 02 Dec 2005, 15:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I like this idea. I have had similar musings, only with the regular list as base. That is, up to three RR units, and lots of infantry... Would the riders have carapace armour? That is such a cool unit, even if it is very points ineffective. Have you seen/read Naüsicaa of the Valley of Wind. The armoured cavalry there is just what an armoured IG cavalry force would be all about!

For models, you could perhaps use Warhammer Fantasy Imperial Kinghts for the horses. They have full metal barding, which could easily be painted as carapace armour. You could even use the knight's legs and arms, for extra armoured feel and hunting lances, attaching these to Cadian torsos. I think the end result might be pretty awesome.

The army might very well be shot to pieces, though. Perhaps you could combine the wonderful mounted Dragoons with some supporting infantry (dismounted Dragoons, of course), some sentinels (Talk about Iron Steeds! These might even be converted to resemble cavalry mounts. They are open topped anyway, so why not get rid of the entire canopy and let the pilot ride the machine-steed wind his hair in the wind!), and Chimeras (mechanized Dragoons).

The Eldar Rule:

"If any model with the special rule Eldar! is on the battlefield the player may instantly declare victory and arrogantly storm out of the room. They may also claim any models, cash or cookies that are in the room."

I want to put to the record that I wholeheartedly support this rule and think GW should adopt it whenever they redo the Eldar codex. Cash and cookies are always good, and arrogantly storming out is an underrated pasttime
Closed Thread