Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

WWI IG, help me a bit...
Closed Thread
Old 24 Nov 2005, 10:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default WWI IG, help me a bit...

Well, I was busy assembling my Pohjolan 777th, when I realized the Cadians where not the minis that I wanted for the army. I really wanted something more light, like Tanith and or more cold weather dressed like the Valahallans. Sadly the evil GW only wants us to buy Cadians and Catachans, and the only other thing you can find in a normal store besides them are Tanith and they are all metal...
I am going to have my recon squads and veteran squads as Taniths, but to have the entire force with Tanith will be so expensive!

I guess it will have to wait and start with a Veteran kill team for them.

So yesterday I watched Finding the fallen on Discovery and started to think about WWI. I have always been very interested by that time period and the war. It has recently started to recive more attention, people realizing that a lot of things went on as both sides tried to develop means and tactics by which they could break through the trenchlines and start a mobile war.
There was a lot of patrols and raids, and all parties became very adept at infiltrating, prisontaking and so on. It was an artillery war, even as the tanks came. Speaking about tanks, the IG tanks looks far more as developments from WWI tanks, rather than the WWII tanks serving as inspiration to many gamers.

So I desided to go WWI, possibly with a lean towards the british forces when it came to uniform colour. A bit of Blackadder might also become a part of it.

I want to make an infantry company, inspired by WWI, with one or two tanks in support. I have chimera that will be attached to the HQ section. And a Russ would be okay.

Lacking proper artillerypieces in the IG arsenal, save maybe the basilisk, but that one is mobile, mortars are a must, since the WWI saw a explosion of light to heavy mortars that could loob shells into trenches.

What doctrines would fluffy?

I have some ideas:
Hardened fighters (They train extensively with the bayonets)
Die hards (They rather die than stains the regiments traditions)
Iron discipline (The officers might shoot if you do not go forward, so it is best to listen)

I think heavy weapons pltoons could be a good thing and maybe special weapon squads, so I can throw some big explosives into a bunker.

My blog: http://mattiknife.wordpress.com
Old 24 Nov 2005, 12:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: WWI IG, help me a bit...

It sounds good from a doctrine standpoint...

If you're stuck for models, and you want a trench army, Steel-legion was designed to look like WWI troopers in trenches, and they can be cheap when bought in a boxed set.

You can buy...
5 boxed sets
These are useful, because buying everything separately would cost 49 USD for 1

2 sergeant blisters
These are great if you can get the one holding the ork head. they really personalize an army. If you like, he can hold a human head, too.

2 Lieutenant blisters
You'll need these as platoon and HQ Command. Try and get the two different ones, and use the one holding just the sword as the captain.

3 Heavy bolter blisters
These can replace your missile launchers in 3 of your squads, so you can have an AT squad, or even 2 with the purchase with 3 more lascannons

2 Special Weapons blister
These are good for putting plasma in your squads, and for getting more men for the command squads

Chimera
You said you wanted this, and why not?

Leman Russ
Good for support, and you wanted one

Well, assemble squads as you like, using some men form the different squads and the extra squad to assemble three four-man command squads, using the sergeant with the ork head for one lietent.

If you would like a mortar squad, use the crouching men form the lascannons, and replace them with standard men form another boxed set [You should have three left from the fact you bought Special Weapons blisters]
Use 3 crouching men with 3 normal lasgun carries. Then purchase a Cadian heave weapons squad [not team; you want three guys] Use the three mortars [and maybe even whip up a few autocannon conversion with the lascannons, and use them for FS squad.] for the squad, and then you have 3 mortars with one guy operating, and one protecting.
Use the shells and put them on someones base, for it to give the feel that there is ammunition.

This will give you about 64 men, and for a good company, you only need 55 men for a standard company with no attachments.

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 24 Nov 2005, 13:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

But are steel legions still sold in the regular stores? I thought you could only get them on the net?

It is a shame they do not have those flat british helmets, they are so typical ;D

I will try and get some steel legion chaps, at least for the command units. I will mostly use the Cadians, but I wonder if I would be able to somehow get better helmets?

The downside off the Steel legion is that they look quite german to me. And their folding stocks makes me think of WWII german sub-machineguns, which is why I always have thought of them as wwII german panzergrenadiers or paratroopers. The helm is nicked from the WWII german paratrooper helmet.

But a few of them would not be to bad...

Thanks for the tip! I will see what I can scrap together in the way of SL around here. Those gasmasks are really WWI, by the way.

Old 24 Nov 2005, 13:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

They do look german, but some green stuff helmet brims would really make a cool army!
You can get them in regular stores. Is your store GW? If it is, ask teh manager to order some, and get a slip of paper for all the people who want them to sign it. He will agree.

Well, if youre going for just a few, definately go for the cool lietenent with the sword and no pistol. He really makes an army look great.

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 24 Nov 2005, 15:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you're not going to be playing in anything official, you could consider the Imperial line of figures from the Warzone game, like so:

http://www.excelsiorentertainment.co...ult_Force_(40)

There are some great figures in that Warzone line, though of course none of them would be GW tourney-legal. Which is a shame, really, but it's the way of modern business.

If you want to keep it all GW, which is just as fine, the Steel Legion gets you the cool greatcoats and gasmasks. For the helmets you like, consider the Brettonian Men-at-arms from the Fantasy line. They've got the flat-brimmed helmets you're looking for, which could potentially look pretty cool on Steel Legion heads.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 15:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, the "coal scuttle" helmet was actually used by the germans in WWI, so its not exclusively a WWII vintage piece of equipment. Also, SMGs were used by the end of WWI as well by trench raiders and Stosstruppen. The flat British helmet is also an early war piece of gear that was at least partially replaced later on.

The things is there is actually a great deal of difference concerning early and late WWI armies, as all sides involved tired to master the deadly riddle of the trenches. Modern infantry warfare was born then and there, with such innovations as infiltration, fire and movement drills, small scale unit terrain objectives, use of cover and concealment etc. The question is, what do you want?

Early (approx. 1914 - early 1916) WWI style IG army, using more or less 19th century tactics, could have:

Big platoons
Conscript Platoons
Heavy Weapon Platoons
Rough Riders
Heavy Artillery (Basilisk, Griffon etc)
The Doctrines you mentioned
No tanks
No Special Weapon sections

Whereas a late WWI style IG army, having learnt more about infantry trench warfare, would rather have:

Small Platoons
Hardened Veterans
Special Weapon Sections
Heavy Weapon Platoons
Tanks
Light Infantry, Veterans, Hardened Fighters

These are my suggestions. If you really want to pursue a WWI themed army, go visit your library and try to find some literature about the era. I can recommend Montgomery's "A History of Warfare", a comprehensive classic covering the development of human warfare in detail. I think the idea you have is great, as WWI is very close to 40K fluff in its gritty outlook. This could be a wonderful army, shock full of dark mood and ambience.

Happy Hunting!

The Eldar Rule:

"If any model with the special rule Eldar! is on the battlefield the player may instantly declare victory and arrogantly storm out of the room. They may also claim any models, cash or cookies that are in the room."

I want to put to the record that I wholeheartedly support this rule and think GW should adopt it whenever they redo the Eldar codex. Cash and cookies are always good, and arrogantly storming out is an underrated pasttime
Old 24 Nov 2005, 16:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

If you have patience, there are rumours of plastic trench coat models coming out next year or so.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
Old 24 Nov 2005, 17:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, I have read quite a lot about the WWI and I am aiming for the later part 1917-1918, mostly british, since it was them who invented the tank.

The flat helmet was used until after WWII, no idea why but they where. I guess some greenstuff could be nice.
As I think I will use Cadians as the base, they will have body armour anyway so why not, but I would really like some gasmask clad, special equiped Steel legions for my veterans and special weapon team. With their fold-stock lasguns they will look like infiltration experts.
The cadian helms are a problem, but some sandpaper and greenstuff might do miracle.

And that Sword wielding leutenant can be a good platoon commander. I have a company commander made from the tank spurse with an officer cap and a binocular.

Any other models besides Steel legion I should look out for?

Old 24 Nov 2005, 21:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

if you want WW1 trench army then you should look at the death korps of krieg. these guys will sit in a muddy trench for months while artillery pounds in day and night, and then will charge out into the meatgrinder to die in their thousands to gain a few yards of trenchline. gues you could use conscripts to represent the fact that they used piss-loads of soldiers to throw at the enemy. and then some real IG units in behind them with hardened veterans upgrade to take out any in-trench resistance. also roughriders to represent the british cavalry(the germans sat their with machine guns and these guys sent in cavalry!), heavy weapons to represent the gun emplacements to mow down enemy charges. you might also want stormtroopers to represent the elites and commandos that carried out night time raids and infiltration missions to sabotage guns emplacements before a charge. fluff wise die hards and iron discipline are good, but gamewise i'd go with chem-inhalers. if you don't like the fluff for chem-inhalers then you can use the same rules but make up completly different fluff. for example ive got two armies with this, one, a prussian style army uses the fact that soldiers are born into a military society and are bascily born to become soldiers and tought their entire lives that military traditions have to be upheld. the other army, a kreig army, bascily uses fluff that my soldiers where raised to die. their sole purpose in life is to eat up bullets, they know this and they've come to accept it. to the point where they become hollow emotionless shells that feel absolutly nothing when sent into battle. that way i don't feel as bad when i lose 150+ guys in a battle ;D

Old 24 Nov 2005, 22:19   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I've seen some truly awesome WWI style Guardsmen converted from a mix of Cadian and (WFB) Bretonnian bits. Give it a go yourself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Closed Thread