Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

auxiliariaries
Closed Thread
Old 23 Nov 2005, 09:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default auxiliariaries

who has read the imperial guard unorthodox doctrines on the gw website, I was reading the gue&#39;la auxinliary doctrines and am really want to collect them, I can see it all now...

the Pegasian 7th, a regiment of imperial guard enlisted in the damoscles crusade, forgotten and added to the tau empire, now glad followers of the greater good...

...but anyway what are your thoughts on the unorthodox doctrines in general and/or the tau aux doctrines
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Old 23 Nov 2005, 16:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy
Default Re: auxiliariaries

i would not give them cerapace.even the tau aux. dont get that save.however, its a neat concept.lots of conversion possibilities for them too.
if you can pull it off, go for it.send us a list and some pics.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 19:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

it&#39;s considered by some of us fools to be polite for you to post a link when discussing something we may not have read before and are either too lazy or have too slow an internet connection to go searching for on our own...
Due to an error in translation, the isolated colony of T&#39;ves&#39;kal&#39;dai mistakenly worshiped the greater goose for seven generations. Reeducation efforts continue.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 23 Nov 2005, 23:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/doctrines/2/

It describes how to use the doctrines system to represent an unconventional force which isn&#39;t technically part of the Imperial Guard - like the Adeptus Mechanicus or a Genestealer Cult. For the Tau Human Auxiliary army, it chooses the following doctrines:

Carapace Armour
Close Order Drill
Xeno-Fighters: Orks
Special Weapon Squads
Heavy Weapon Platoons

I&#39;m not sure how much of this I agree with, particularly the use of a close-combat doctrine in a Tau-influenced army. Carapace armour is also debatable, since we already have rules for chapter-approved human auxiliaries who only have normal flak armour. However, it would be nice to have a few models in carapace armour, so as to be able to use a few more fire warrior bitz in constructing them.

At the moment, for my 1st T&#39;ros Gue&#39;la cadre, I&#39;m thinking of the following:

Grenadiers - Highly trained Gue&#39;la (humans), with some Tau equipment and armour.
Ogryns - From the mining industry on T&#39;ros; and also to play up the variety of alien species in a Tau army.
Drop Troops - Tau doctrine emphasises mobility, including deployment from Orcas.
Light Infantry & Sharpshooters - So that I can properly represent a couple of squads of inducted Tallarn guardsmen.

I&#39;m still only working on the basic troops, but the possibilities for conversion of the rest are playing through my mind. I&#39;m planning to mount the squad heavy weapons on drone chassis - not to fire independently, but just so that the operator doesn&#39;t have to carry the whole thing everywhere. The grenadiers will be mostly fire warrior bitz, to represent the carapace armour, but I&#39;ll have to think of something to do with their guns - it&#39;s inaccurate to represent them as pulse rifles, since hellguns aren&#39;t that powerful, but I don&#39;t want to go and buy some stormtroopers and use only their weapons.

Alas, I&#39;m leaving on holiday in a few days, so the more ambitious of these plans will have to wait until I get back.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 00:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My Gue&#39;vassa doctrines are:

Storm Troopers
Grenadiers
These are my line troops. Carapace armor is the same the Tau use. The hellguns and increased come from higher grade lasguns and targetting equipment in the helmets (I use Kasrkin models). I use them in full squads mounted in Chimeras.

Ogryns- Tau don&#39;t care about abhumans, a soldier is a soldier. I also just like them.

Sanctioned Psykers- I only use one with a Honorifica Imperialis and a force weapon. Fluffwise he is the commander of my army. Not especially fluffy in mass use in a Tau army.

Carapace Armor- Had no other use for the last doctrine, and it was the cheapest way to get my command squad in carapace armor like the rest of the army.

I really hate the use of close order drill in Gue&#39;vassa. Tau in general favor fast moving casualty minimizing tactics; something that standing shoulder to shoulder in orderly lines completely contradicts. I have a pair of narrative battle reports posted here featuring them. Do a search for "Gue&#39;vassa Spacewolves" in the Guard section and they should pop up.
When you wish upon a star, your wish may come true. Unless that star is a meteorite hurtling towards the earth. In that case you&#39;re just screwed; unless you wished for death by meteorite.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 01:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Why not create extra custom doctrines (ask player permission beforehand)

Xeno Allies: May take Fire Warriors as an Elite Choice.
Xeno Gear: An infantry/veteran squad may replace its special/heavy weapon options w/ pulse rifles/carbines at +3 points/model. At +3 points/model, the entire squad may be equipped with EMP grenades.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 03:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I&#39;ve made my IG army based on humans working for the Tau. I think the doctrine presented on the GW website, while probably very fluffy, are really poor overall and are going to hurt your army.

Besides effectiveness reasons, I see no reason why human units would change much while working for the Tau, especially after being absorbed into the Tau empire so slowly. It&#39;s not like kroot are running around in carapace armor.

I focused my efforts more on the modelling aspect. Any vehicles in my army have numerous Tau identification symbols on them to avoid friendly fire, usually the larger the better. I have Tau "advisors" scattered throughout the army, usually using the Tau model from the devilfish/hammerhead sets. He has lighter armor (to match the +5 save of the IG units) and the binoculars which make it look like he&#39;s observing more than anything else. Some quick chopping jobs, and the other Tau guys can easily be carrying lasrifles.

My favorite work so far has been on the heavy weapons crews. I have the 2 IG guys on the large base, usually one has a pair of binoculars and the other has the handgrip from a vehicle heavy weapon (when plain, looks like a PS2 controller). The heavy weapon is mounted on a drone that&#39;s hovering along with the base.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 03:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, carapace armour for Gue&#39;vesa is debatable in both directions. Recently-inducted Guard or PDF units would probably keep their original equipment, but if the Tau had some spare carapace armour lying around, I don&#39;t see why they wouldn&#39;t give it to their auxiliaries. If the Empire had the industrial capacity to equip the entire Guard with carapace armour, I think they&#39;d do it. The Tau just have a smaller military compared to their industry.

Your conversion work sounds fantastic, foxxpetronivs. The heavy weapon crews sound almost like what I had planned. Do you have some photos up somewhere so I can see how it turns out?

Samuel Vimes, I found your narrative battle reports - I love the way you&#39;ve turned a simple report into a detailed story, while leaving it possible to make out the action going on. If anyone else hasn&#39;t read them, I highly recommend them - here:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=10632.0

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11012.0
Old 24 Nov 2005, 04:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxpetronivs
I&#39;ve made my IG army based on humans working for the Tau.* I think the doctrine presented on the GW website, while probably very fluffy, are really poor overall and are going to hurt your army.
they are not fluffy in the least. COD?? in a tau representative army? the only way that could be a worse doctrine is hardened vets.the tau specialize in moving about and shooting, and leave the fighting to the kroot.

i tip my hat to Vimes and Abanim . their doctrine lists are both good. however, my insight has yielded this to be my fluffy doctrine list.

ratlings-
orgryns-both this and above would represent the many races that could be thrown in an auxiliary force
veterans-the tau don&#39;t see a problem in running away,and this would show that there would be a much lower mortality rate after a battle
light infantry- this would emphasize the tau&#39;s mobility on foot. be it a single scout force or an army,they should be able to move about
drop troops- be it from an orca or or just plain air drops, mobility seems to be for the greater good

first off, no martial disciplines.if they were trained by the tau, they don&#39;t know karate. second no xeno hunters. chances are, most are xenos, and that would not do. third, no carapace. the aux don&#39;t get carapace in the chapter approved, so they wont get it in their own army (sold short by those water caste merchants no doubt). the xeno gear Juggler suggested sounds nice but probably wont happen.strength 5 is a bit heavy for mere guardsmen for only 3 points.

i hope this post wont fall on deaf ears.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 17:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The reason I mentioned Xeno-gear is that it was an available option in the chapter approved, plus frankly it makes a lot more sense than Close Order Drill or Xeno-Fighter: Ork.

So the doctrines I would use would be:
Xeno Allies: Tau Fire Warriors (use Fire Warriors as Elites).
Xeno Gear:
Carapace Armor: (Fire Warrior Armor supplied to higher-ranking auxiliaries)
Hardened Fighters (Despite not being trained by the Tau, many veterans mastered melee in the Damocles Crusade)
Deep Strike (Deployed by Orcas/Paradropped, etc. Not everyone needs to Deep Strike, remember that. Fun when placing it on Sentinels though...)