Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1000pt drop troops - Harakoni
Closed Thread
Old 22 Nov 2005, 10:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 1000pt drop troops - Harakoni

OK, since my tau are mechanised, i figure i might as well go a different route with my IG. i originally intded it to be a light infantry force, then got lost along the pathway of mechanisation. I think drop troops would be the style of army i want.

So, originally, when i read through the sample IG regiments, i fell in love with the bit on the harakoni, and especially the pic of the guy there. So, i want my guys to be a harakoni regiment. Now, whilst i can deal with their doctrines, i would rather some different ones, that are more useful to me in game, so my harakoni will probably be called another name, like the harakoni Furies, or something like that.

Regardless, Harakoni doctrines:
Drop Troops.
Stromtroopers.
Since seeing the kasrkin models, i have fell in love with stormtroopers. So, i want these guys. or at least the models. Point for point, i can make a more vicious c.armour DS veteran squad (i get an extra spec. weapon!) so this is up in the air for contention. I'll probably stick to stromtroopers for now
Carapace amour.
see the guy in the pic for the harakoni? i am using cadiam models but converting each with green stuff to model them like him. thats upper leg, groin, side, belly, upper arm, forearm, and faceguard armour. currently i have one guy done with green stuff, but i will try plasticard to see its effects (just need to find where i can get it!)
Special Weapon Squads
Demo charges. or 3 spec weapons. me likes. a lot. concentration of firepower is perfect. but not in 1000pts. in 1500 i'll take 2 squads.
H.Weapon Squads.
pointless to an all deepstriking army. i would rather swap this for close order drill which is far more useful.

Fluff. its not fully done out yet, but my idea is:
Imperial world. under attack from an ork waaagh! Imperial defense has been pushed south, and they're reeling in defeat. they've lost the main bridgeway that was their wulkwark against the orks. so the greens are streaming through. My guys hop onto their planes, and land on the bride. they hold off the orks for 2 days whilst sappers prepare charges to blow it, and buy the imperials some time. they leave all their h.weaponsand begin a retreat as the bride blows. but their transports get sahot out of the sky. so, they decide to force march to a ruined imperial city, and la down a challenge to the orks. and the orks take the bait, and my guys sacrafice will buy time for the imperials further south to mop up the ork elements that made it across the ravine, as well as build a new line of defense. last line of my fluff will be my guys bravely holding out, but no one knows for how long. (in its expansion, they will be rescued, but at this stage they're stuck in a city!)

Looks:
I am using a variation of the kasrkin colour scheme you will see in the codex (i love it!) Kommando khaki for the fatigues, catachan green for the armour plates (highlighed with camo green), and i am using skull white and vomit brown for the camo effect. (looks oddly like the irish flag!) And as mentioned, the entire army will be converted. and this will involve lots of work!

What i have in mind for a 1000pointer army is:

HQ:
Command Squad
J.Officer w/plasma pistol
4 plasma guns
Carapace armour

Elite:
5 Stromtroopers
veteran w/plasma pistol
2 plasma guns
deep strike

5 Stormtroopers
veteran w/plasma pistol
2 plasmaguns
deep strike

Troops:
Command Squad 1
J.Officer w/plasma pistol
4 plasma gunners
Carapace Armour

Squad 1: plasma gun, carpace armour
Squad 2: plasma gun, carapace armour

Command Squad 2
J.offiver w/plasma pistol
4 meltaguns
carapace armour

Squad 1; meltagun, carapace armour 90
Squad 2: meltagun, carapace armour 90

Sentinel w/h.flamer, improved comms
Sentinel w/h.flamer, improved comms

what i will experiment with, is swapping the Stormtrooper squads for 5 vets, plasma pistol, and 3 plasma guns, with carapace armour (105pts)

Expanding this list to 1500pts, will see a third stromtrooper squad (probably with meltas), 2 more sentinels in the pattern above, and 2 spec. weapon squads with demo charges.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 22 Nov 2005, 11:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: 1000pt drop troops - Harakoni

get some pics up when your done with a few. Sounds like fun. I too am going drop troops, but not with stormtroopers. I'm using veterans and hardened fighters. Drop those guys in with some demo squads and shoot up the place before dieing. Still using armor for the main force however.

Keep us up on your progress.

Wanax
Old 23 Nov 2005, 06:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

*insert homer style mmmmmmmmmmmm here* plasmary death *mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm*

i have never seen an army take that much plasma... you really scare me with that list Deadnight...

take out the plasma pistol out of Command squad 2 and give him a power fist instead, actually no, sorry i'm being an idiot...
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 23 Nov 2005, 06:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

[glow=red,2,300][size=20pt]DO NOT LET WARGAMER SEE THIS!![/size][/glow]

That is one hell of alot of plasma there... good luck rolling 1's! ;D

Nice list overall
Old 23 Nov 2005, 06:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

plasma pistols are going to be a slight over kill against orks armour 6 don't you think? unless your opponent fields so much mega armour its not even funny, i'd say you've overdone it. the army makes sense, jsut not against orks. have you already bought this army or are you converting an existing one, because if you have a nice budget a valkryie would be very nice, made even a vulture.

Old 23 Nov 2005, 12:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

i have a box of cadians. which are being converted. and 3 kasrkin! ;D it'll take a while becuas ethe conversions take up an obscene amount of time. and college is eating into my days a lot as well.

but i'll get it eventually.

i will take plasmas for now as the favoured spec weapon of the harakoni are plasmas. but it could be far more vicious. watch me drop carapace armour. an extra 140 pts. replace stromtroopers with 3 veteran squads. 5 vets, 3 plasma, 1 plasma pistol. as my friends drop troops are. mine have less models, less spec weapons, but higher resilience.

and what is wargamers problem with the harakoni warhawks?

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 23 Nov 2005, 14:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
plasma pistols are going to be a slight overkill against orks armour 6 don't you think?
I don't think there can ever be "overkill" in games, Elessar. Yes, they soke up somewhere in the 180 field of points, but you can be sure they're going to auto kill the grunts, and probably the nobs. Furthermore, that's... *counts*...I think 28 shots per turn, and that's good... although I definitely see where your coming from.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 15:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
i
and what is wargamers problem with the harakoni warhawks?
they are not elysians.

last time someone made a harakoni list, he went into somthing about how it took away from the elysians

ah, herer it is
Quote:
Basic summary is this:

Elysians rocked. They had a massive fanbase right from the word go, and despite the difficulty and expense of converting an all-Elysian army, many did.

Thus GW sumarised that Drop Troopers were popular, and that people wanted them. This was, for the most part, correct.

GW then decided that if they produced a Drop Trooper army that could be modelled using Kasrkin, people would rejoice.

Thus the Harakoni were put into the Codex, and became the most hated army in existence overnight. What GW didn't realise was it wasn't just the rules that made Elysians cool, it was the fluff and the models as well.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Closed Thread