Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Your thoughts on rough riders
Closed Thread
Old 14 Nov 2005, 19:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Your thoughts on rough riders

well im making a new IG army(my third woohoo!) and i was thinking of making a savage barbarian lead by bezerking preachers from hell type thing. ive combined the cadian and catachan sprues to make some convincing warrior weapon packing soldiers.(mostly switched the arms around and did a bit of green stuffing) i also want to use some rough riders, since they cost the same as a normal guardsman(with WW) and have a horse. i was wondering if you guys think its worth giving them all hunting lances? and if i should give my sarge a powersword i don't have any orgyns so these guys will be my spearhead. i was going to use greyknights but i sold them off on ebay(my fluff was going to be greyknights rounding up loads of savages from feral worlds and taking them off to duke-it out against orks and weed out the good ones) and finally, have a look at this http://uk.games-workshop.com/harad/miniature-gallery/7/ i have about a dozen of the guys on the right. do you think i could pass them off as rough riders?

Old 14 Nov 2005, 21:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Your thoughts on rough riders

I think rough riders would be a great idea, i mean for fluff reasons and tactical reasons, their explosive tipped lances are one-use but pack a hell of a punch. they can move relativly quickly and can take special weapons. and it would only stand to reason that a barbarian army would utilise these primitive animals as transportation and war machines. might i suggest getting a tank and making it look beaten up, and say it was salvaged from the wreckage of something and repaired, i would also suggest the hardened fighters rule, bs 4 guard are good, ( although us catachans get it standard). anyways good luck with your army and GO GUARD GO GUARD

Turning and Turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Thanks to Drobot for the sig
Old 14 Nov 2005, 21:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It hasn't been PC for a long time to run the desert-fighter guard army, as they're a little too arabic for a lot of people's tastes right now. However, I think the idea of vaguely primitive zealots is appealing as a theme, and totally encourage you to go with it. You'd certainly be unique, and the LOTR easterlings are a potential goldmine of rough riders and cc troops (since the regular Tallarns are all metals in the collectors range).
Old 14 Nov 2005, 21:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

since these guys are being recruited by greyknights they have to be so massivly primitive that they will never have heard of the imperium, let alone the inquisition and theres no possible way for them to get off the planet. this also creates the problem if me having absolutly no anti-tank weapons.

Old 14 Nov 2005, 21:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Austin
It hasn't been PC for a long time to run the desert-fighter guard army, as they're a little too arabic for a lot of people's tastes right now.* However, I think the idea of vaguely primitive zealots is appealing as a theme, and totally encourage you to go with it.* You'd certainly be unique, and the LOTR easterlings are a potential goldmine of rough riders and cc troops (since the regular Tallarns are all metals in the collectors range).*
LOTR easterlings would work great, although remodeling the arms would be a pain in the.......... and we're guard so that could take for ever and ever and.............. although the easterlings look to uniform for barbarians.

Turning and Turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Old 14 Nov 2005, 22:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

LOTR miniatures are way too small for 40k scale. Trust me on this, for I have seen them. Or at least the foot soldiers are. Comet to think of it... those dudes would probably work. Just put in a word on how maybe the world is low gravity, the soldiers have very petit frames, etc. etc. So go ahead.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 06:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
LOTR miniatures are way too small for 40k scale. Trust me on this, for I have seen them. Or at least the foot soldiers are. Comet to think of it... those dudes would probably work. Just put in a word on how maybe the world is low gravity, the soldiers have very petit frames, etc. etc. So go ahead.
I think there some rule that yyou can't use minatures from different systems, in your own arny

W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Old 15 Nov 2005, 06:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor Walsy
I think there some rule that yyou can't use minatures from different systems, in your own arny
ive seen it doen alot on white dwarf so i don't think GW would mind, and players usually go along with it aslong as you tell them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
ive checked them, they are smaller than normal soldiers but you can't notice since their on horses, unless i put them right next to eachother.

Old 15 Nov 2005, 13:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

LoTR models are on a completely different scale to 40K models, they just look strange when put in the same army.

AND

There are actually rules against using LoTR models in armies for other GW games systems, you won't be allowed to use them in GW outlets or at official tournies.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 16:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
LoTR models are on a completely different scale to 40K models, they just look strange when put in the same army.
ive checked and they don't look half bad, you don't notice unless your actually looking for it.

Closed Thread