Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Why I think the Imperial Guard are more courageous then the Space Marines
Closed Thread
Old 12 Nov 2005, 16:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Why I think the Imperial Guard are more courageous then the Space Marines

...Because they take on the same horrors that the Marines take on, but without the benefit of a couple of tons of armor protecting them.

When a space marine runs up to fight a Tyranid Warrior, brandishing his power sword and bolt pistol, relying on his genetically modified reflexes and decades of expensive training, that doesn't impress me. It's when you send in a group of farm-boys who have recieved only a few hours of training and watched a couple of motivational videos and are given a lasgun and told to take that city for the Emperor. THAT is courage.

Tell me your thoughts. ;D
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 16:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: Why I think the Imperial Guard are more courageous then the Space Marines

Few hours training?

Guard ate trained far, far, far [etc] harder than todays soldiers are. Compared to most lesser races in 40K and what even most Humans are used to having, they have great, advanced equipment.

Plus, they often don't see the horrors that Marines see. They don't get sent on as difficult missions, as horrifying etc. If something is really that difficult [both mentally and physically] then they send the Storm Troopers or Marines.

Still, Guard are the true heroes of the Imperium. The Imperium could survive [albiet not as well] without the Marines. They couldn't without the Guard. The Guard do the main brunt of the fighting and the dying for their Empire. Marines are pretty much just super Storm Troopers.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 23:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Why I think the Imperial Guard are more courageous then the Space Marines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
Few hours training?

Guard ate trained far, far, far [etc] harder than todays soldiers are. Compared to most lesser races in 40K and what even most Humans are used to having, they have great, advanced equipment.
you have got to be joking me. people like the cadians train most of their lives for war, but cadians are the elite of the IG. most IG regiments are like ww2 soldiers, a 2 week crash course and out you go. trained far far hardered then now-a-days, ha! marines are trained harder, maybe stormtroopers are trained harder but not the guardsmen.

Old 12 Nov 2005, 23:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
Few hours training?

you have got to be joking me. people like the cadians train most of their lives for war, but cadians are the elite of the IG. most IG regiments are like ww2 soldiers, a 2 week crash course and out you go. trained far far hardered then now-a-days, ha! marines are trained harder, maybe stormtroopers are trained harder but not the guardsmen.
I'll only say one thing - you've been brainwashed by GW "Cadianism". Any piece of fluff will tell you that Imperial Guard regiments are the elite of that world's fighters, trained to standards above those of modern special forces. Just looking at their enemies should tell you this; even modern spec-ops units are trained to fight terrorists and insurgents who are generally worse equiped or at least more poorly organized than them. Every poor-blood Guardsman, by contrast, will be expected to take on aliens who are larger, tougher, better armed, and much scarier than they are.
I won't deny that taking on a xenos with nothing but a flak jacket and a flashlight takes a lot of courage, just don't forget that they arn't Soviet conscripts (unless you're refering to conscripts, of course)... they are the best the planet can serve up.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 00:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

'most IG regiments are like ww2 soldiers, a 2 week crash course and out you go. trained far far hardered then now-a-days, ha! marines are trained harder, maybe stormtroopers are trained harder but not the guardsmen.'

If you think that, your very obviously haven't read much Guard fluff at all. Believe me, Guard are far better than todays soldiers.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 01:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

A Blood Angel Captain, a Cannoness, and a Commissar are all on a drop ship with a FoC's worth of their command. (Ok, it s a GIANT drop ship!)

They all start bragging about how their soldiers are the bravest of the brave... etc.

Blood Angel Captain sudden screams,"Brother! Jump out of the airlock!". Screaming, "The Emperor protects!", he does.

Cannoness realizes she has to do something. "Sister! Jump out of the airlock!!!" A Sister of Battle jumps out of the airlock.

The Commisar needs to show them something. "Cadet! Jump out of the airlock!"

The Cadet salutes, and says, "Hell no sir."

Smiling, the Commisar turns to the Captian and the Cannoness. "That... is true bravery."

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 13 Nov 2005, 02:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

lol I've heard that joke and it gets funnier every time!
Old 13 Nov 2005, 07:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yeah...if you read "fifteen hours", you'll see that IG from any world get many months of training before they see their first fight. Hell, the U.S. Army makes do with eight weeks...and much of that is "politcal correctness" training. Bah... It's like my dad said, the Army still bayonetts babies, as they always have, but now you're not allowed to have a tatoo, drink, swear, or smoke, becuase that might offend the baby's mother! ...and forget about furnishing her with a replacement baby! >

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 13 Nov 2005, 10:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
A Blood Angel Captain, a Cannoness, and a Commissar are all on a drop ship with a FoC's worth of their command. (Ok, it s a GIANT drop ship!)

They all start bragging about how their soldiers are the bravest of the brave... etc.

Blood Angel Captain sudden screams,"Brother! Jump out of the airlock!". Screaming, "The Emperor protects!", he does.

Cannoness realizes she has to do something. "Sister! Jump out of the airlock!!!" A Sister of Battle jumps out of the airlock.

The Commisar needs to show them something. "Cadet! Jump out of the airlock!"

The Cadet salutes, and says, "Hell no sir."

Smiling, the Commisar turns to the Captian and the Cannoness. "That... is true bravery."
thats exactly like the joke i heard at my old military school, 'cept with americans, russians, and the British.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Thunder
It's when you send in a group of farm-boys who have recieved only a few hours of training and watched a couple of motivational videos and are given a lasgun and told to take that city for the Emperor.
...with a Commissar, an inch behind them with a itchy trigger finger on his leash... i mean bolt pistol...
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 14 Nov 2005, 01:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Florida, USA, Earth, Sola segumuntum, third arm of spiral milky way galaxy, the universe.

Guard are trained superbly (unless you are a conscript.-but you still get good stuff! Thinks to do if i had a Lasgun... )

If americans had a few divisioons of guardsmen, Iraq would be over in a couple of weeks. Just tell them the terrorists insuted the Empoeror!

"Hertics [Insurgents] spotted...lance strike at cordante 02 34 bravo charlie."
"Copy."
"Emperor protects."
[mountain range vaproised. Bin Laden with it.]

Seroisly.-
++++
The Guard get what needs to be done done, and a danged good job to. 'Course they still use gasoline...[potmenuim ?SP? ->petrol->gasoline]

Khanaris: Rocks and pointy sticks are inexpensive, easy to maintain, and require little training, and almost never malfunction. That hardly makes them a perfect weapon.

"I know not what world war three will be founght with, but world war four with be fought with sticks and stones."
Closed Thread