Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Honor Harrington themed IG army?
Closed Thread
Old 12 Nov 2005, 10:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Honor Harrington themed IG army?

Austin inspired me with his irregulars to finally get off my butt and follow through on an idea that's been kicking around my head for a long time. I'm a huge fan of Dave Weber's Honor Harrington series...so I'm going to remold my IG army in her image. What I've already got will most likely not have to be changed much, but a few models, some doctrines, a bit of fluff, and presto, I have a regiment of Grayson Marines (I would say army, but it's easier to imagine Harrington dealing with marines, given that she's a naval officer...), with Steadholder Harrington at the front. Here are my ideas:

1. I'd have to exclude my lovely ogryns, they just don't fit the theme.

2. The female comissar model as Lady Harrington: autopistol (sposta be lowtech, boltpistol doesn't fit the fluff), power sword, refractor (represents salamander's luck), and that crimson ribbon thingie (cause the fluff demands it, I doubt it'll ever be useful).

3. The banner from the cover of the first paperback edition of "Flag in Exile" would look sweet.

4. HQ command squad and perhaps a unit of hardened veterans in the livery of Harrington Steading, as her personal armsmen.

5. Several comissars, as "Manticoran Advisors"

6. Given how insanely religious graysons are, priests for every command squad.

7. Iron discipline to represent their patriarchal society.

8. Drop troops to represent deploying from a ship.

9. Perhaps a valkyrie as a pinnace...in forgeworld-approved games, of course.

10. IG can't take orbital bombardment as a heavy weapons choice, can they?

11. This is the tough bit for me...no tanks.

Those of you unfamiliar with Dave Weber's work probably can't relate, but those who have, what do you think?

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 12 Nov 2005, 10:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Honor Harrington themed IG army?

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
and that crimson ribbon thingie
medallion crimson its very useful on special characters, but since she's just a normal commissar i doubt it'll be that good.
I have no clue what your talking about(im guessing this is a book?) but do you actaully have the female commissar because its very hard to find. i know it took me quite a bit to get her.

Old 12 Nov 2005, 10:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yep, I've got her...have to strip her down and repaint her as HH, though.* Anyway, she'll be an HSO in my army, not a commie.* It's a whole series of books, I can't recommend them enough, it's my favorite sci-fi universe.

/edit/

Damn...I just looked her up on ebay. good thing I already have the model, it's going for $20!!! Oh, and the picture shown on ebay was gorgeous, but the ad said in bold print that the one for sale is unpainted...wonder if the $20 bidder read that before he dropped his money. $20 for the painted one would be a bargain (except that I perfer to paint everything myself), but $20 unpainted...that's a bit steep, IMHO.

Quote:
Old 13 Nov 2005, 04:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I am very pleased to see that I've inspired someone. But I must say:

Quote:
9. Perhaps a valkyrie as a pinnace...in forgeworld-approved games, of course.
Hehheh. You said Pinnace.

;D

Ok, that was awful. Man, it must be Saturday night. Anyway...

I dig the idea, though my experience with the Harrington novels is nil. But the local SF convention here is looking to try and get Weber as their guest of honor this next year, so maybe I'll get motivated to read a book that I can also get autographed.

Have you read Elizabeth Moon's "Esmay Suiza" novels? How do Weber's Harrington books compare to those?

As to the army itself, I'm pretty leery of your 'no tanks' thing. Of course, you've got the Drop Troops, which lets you put your firepower more or less where you need it. Maybe you could try the Heavy Weapons Platoons. Raking a battlefield with massed Heavy Bolter or Autocannon fire certainly gets the blood pumping. On several levels.

Old 13 Nov 2005, 04:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

looks good, with one exception- i dont see how she would lead in a patriarchal society. common sense (and years of latin) dictates that a guy should have the job.

oh, and if you cant play IG without tanks, you may not have been meant to play IG. tanks are great, but can be limiting from time to time. just rember the quanity of troops you can get for the price of a tank. not to mention the more weapons you can get.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 08:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You'd have to read the books to understand how she can lead. The short version is that she's not a native Grayson, she's a Manticoran, and saved their world from an invasion and its patriarch from assassination. That a mere woman could do such a thing causes immense social and theological upheaval on Grayson, as you might imagine (oh, yeah, they're a patriarchal theocracy, no less.) Anyway, it's a great series, and her involvement on Grayson is really just a side plot to the larger war between the Kingdom of Manticore (Similar to the modern UK, as far as the government goes, with a black queen) and the People's Republic of Haven (which is modeled after revolutionary France), but it's one of my favorite parts.

Austin,

I've read Moon, but "Esmay Suiza" doesn't ring a bell. Tanks have always been a mainstay of my armies, but I am looking forward to trying to get by without pie-plates...but I have to disagree with Gorcyca. A leman russ is worth 2 squads of IG, that's 16 lasguns, 2 special weapons and 2 heavy weapons...versus a pieplate of doom. A demolisher is less points than two heavy weapons squads, is harder to kill, and can take objectives while plastering the enemy with S10 pie-plate goodness. Even with a "weapon destroyed result, it still mounts three marine-munching heavy weapons. Nope, IG tanks are extremely cost-effective and difficult to kill. Pretending that dropping them is not a handicap is ridiculous.

Quote:
Old 13 Nov 2005, 19:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

a handicap to those who often use them.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Closed Thread