Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactics
Closed Thread
Old 09 Nov 2005, 21:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Tactics

[move]I tried to start a poll on stratergies but it didn't work, so i have decided for you to tell me what you thinks is the best stratergy.
<p>

From Inquisitor Walsy, 8)Go Catachans >[/move]

Turning and Turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Thanks to Drobot for the sig
Old 09 Nov 2005, 22:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Tactics

For imperial guard, I would definitely say SIGAFH.* The amount of firepower they can lay down is second to none, and as long as you have a mobile unit or two, you can rush in and grab objectives after your main army completely annhilates all enemy forces.* or you can have most of your units (around 75-85%) be shooty, while a select few are mobile and can advance while the bulk of your army gives them covering fire.* Then again, I don't really know any other strategies for imperial guard, so my opininion is obviously slightly biased towards the one strategy I do know.*

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 11 Nov 2005, 13:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I use SIGAFH sometimes...but I use two other strategies that work quite nicely:

"target rich envirnoment" Did you know that you can take 3 of each type of sentinel, 9 of them with HK missiles, and a few with other upgrades (I take enclosed crew compartment for the lascannon ones, just for WYSIWYG) for around 750 points? Throw in three tanks, an infantry platoon, and an armored fist squad, and you've got your enemy struggling to prioritize his limited antitank assets against 16 vehicles....12 of which can lock squads in assault.

"Ogryn Waaaaaagh" Two chimeras full of Ogryns are a bit pricey at a little under 500 points, but they make a nice 36 wound T4 beat stick when they reach enemy lines. Send along an armored fist squad and a mounted stormtrooper squad, and it's a shell game (not to mention extra bodies for the grinder on the other side of the table) for the enemy to try and figure out which one to kill. At 1500, you might leave out the stormtroopers to shoehorn in that third pie-plate-chucker, though. On the other hand, it's a perfect opportunity to use direct-fire basilisks as a cheap alternative. Gives the enemy the choice of shooting at the ordnance and shooting down your assault...rock and a hard place. And nobody expects IG to try the rhino rush.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 11 Nov 2005, 16:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

or use my death corps style play, 3 conscript platoons (600) 3 basic infantry platoons(540) and your hq squad(55). that gives you enough bodies to last awhile. throw in independant commissars for you conscripts(150) and a lascannon for each infantry squad(150). that leaves you just enough points for a powerswrods for your senior officer! this gives you 6 lascannons to deal with any tanks the enemy throws at you and enough lasguns to take down khorne himself. sure you need about 230 models but its a nice army to play. i call it the "Elessarian Meatgrinder", my opponents call it it "where the f@#$ did you get that many guys from!"

Old 11 Nov 2005, 19:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

do you want the catachan style of playing?

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 20:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

catachan style of fighting=run into jungle terrain and hope atleast some of your guys are still alive by the time you get there. then when the enemy follows you into the jungle you can pi** around all day with rules from the catachan codex that no-one has ever heard of and are more complicated than inquisitor.

Old 12 Nov 2005, 21:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

Quote:
catachan style of fighting=run into jungle terrain and hope atleast some of your guys are still alive by the time you get there. then when the enemy follows you into the jungle you can pi** around all day with rules from the catachan codex that no-one has ever heard of and are more complicated than inquisitor.
not quite

the catachan style of fighting is to lure the enemy into the jungle and wipe them out with ambushes, mortar bombardments, and their inability to move in the jungle. catachans are not that hard to play, but you need patience. if they were an equivalent to inquisitor, no one would play them. asfor the codex, it is free at the GW site, and if you ever want to play a guard army that is interesting and very challangeing, get to reading, ot consult me or JD.

in short, i hope you were joking, cause you are dead wrong.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 22:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

basicly catachan are the best soldeirs you will get in the jungle, outside the jungle you might aswell get a mob of drunk grots to fight. if you're planning to fight in a board thats 90% jungle terrain for every battle go for it, but for those of us not in the amazons you're better off with normal IG. plus in a universe where you can get a super heavy tank to flatten a jungle in a matter of hours catachan are redundant.

Old 13 Nov 2005, 07:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

or an orbital bombardment...or virus-bomb...exterminatus!!!!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 13 Nov 2005, 09:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn

Sorry.. I'm unfamiliar with the acronyms here - what does SIGAFH stand for?
Closed Thread