Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The 2nd Antonian Irregulars
Closed Thread
Old 07 Nov 2005, 23:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default The 2nd Antonian Irregulars

I posted this in the Regimental Backgrounds thread, but I think it got lost in the flamewar between Elessar and Wargamer. So I'll re-post my fluff here so it can start a whole new flame war.

2nd Antonian Irregulars – “The Lone Stars”
Home System: Nueva Antonia
Commander: Governor-General Samuyl Galveston

Regimental Motto: “Stand and Deliver”
Unofficial Motto: “Last Man Standin’!”

The backwater planet of Nueva Antonia is a beautiful world with a wide array of terrain types, from sweeping prairie to towering mountains. Open and spacious in contrast to many Imperial worlds, Nueva Antonia is an agriworld, its vast surface dedicated primarily to crop acreage and grazing pasture. Not as downtrodden or as repressed as hiveworlders, the people of the planet have a deep appreciation for life, and live it to the hilt. Their way of life is precious to them, and they thank the Emperor every day for their marvelous home and its bountiful resources. The primitive tribes roaming the prairies have been effectively converted to the worship of the Emperor, though their devotion is a good deal more ritualistic and shamanistic than the norm. Overall, the people of Nueva Antonia dwell happily on their planet.

And they fight every day to defend it.

Nueva Antonia has been invaded regularly for millennia. Ork Waaghs, Warp marauders, Dark Eldar raiders, Chaos-tainted pirates, and a host of others often target the bountiful agriworld for its food supplies, and the Imperial Guard Regiment of the world has grown up to defend against these near-constant threats. Ironically, where the world has plentiful stores of food, its backwater placement means that wargear and military material tends to be much rarer.

Only once have the defenders of Nueva Antonia been completely eliminated. The first regiment raised here, called the 1st Antonian Defenders, was annihilated by a massive Blood Axe waagh in the 22nd Millenium. The Orks exterminated the regiment to a man, and promptly left with hulks filled to capacity with grain and meat, leaving the defenseless population centers to their fate. A detachment of Imperial logistics advisors had just arrived on-world to rebuild the Defenders when a sizeable force of Dark Eldar pirates arrived in the system, looking to snatch slaves from the now-undefended settlements.

The people of Nueva Antonia answered the call to defend their homeworld with valor. Local units of guerilla fighters gathered overnight to secure their homes and drive Wyches out of the fields. The small quantity of material brought with the Imperial advisors was quickly doled out to local volunteer-commanders, and the scattered companies salvaged what they could from old battlefields. Local commanders were forced to adopt a wide assortment of tactics to deal with the general lack of equipment. Doctrinal style, unit composition, and even unit type soon varied widely from company to company as the front-line leaders used what they had to eke out whatever advantage they could. Some companies had no armored support and relied on old-style horse cavalry. Some had few or no troops, with local levies and volunteers manning the lines instead. Some had no uniforms, their soldiers fielding in whatever they owned and wielding firearms they machined themselves. Even the plainstribes took up arms, though their unit organization was primitive and feral. Still, aesthetics aside, they were a force to be reckoned with, fiercely defending their homes.

When the Dark Eldar were finally repulsed, the surviving advisors were prepared to anoint the rag-tag group the new Antonian 1st and be done with it. Rather than attempt to follow in the example of herculean sacrifice put forward by the 1st, however, the citizens petitioned instead that the regimental number and colors be retired from service on Nueva Antonia. This petition was granted, and the 2nd Antonian was born. In reverence for their fallen Defenders, the 2nd’s new commanders opted not to use the same title, selecting “Irregulars” instead as a nod to the manner in which the 2nd was born.

Never again would the Antonian regiments be destroyed. Indeed, they remain fearsome defenders to the present day. Many campaigns have inflicted heavy losses, but there are always enough irregulars surviving to oversee the rebuilding of the force. Many of the companies have maintained their divergent appearance as a regimental tradition, their pride in their lack of uniformity finding expression in the regiment’s nickname, The Lone Stars. The current commanding officer of the Irregulars, Colonel Ulysses Sampson Eduardo Lee, allows this expression of the regiment’s esprit de corps, and thus far he has not had reason to regret it. The 2nd Antonian Irregulars are an odd bastion of free-spirited but ferocious warriors in the service of their Emperor.

Uniforming

Where uniforms exist at all in the 2nd, Gray is the predominant color, with a vertical stripe on the legs tending to indicate service specialty (blue for infantry, red for heavy weapons, gold for officers or cavalry). Slouch hats and facial hair are not uncommon, especially among officers. Bandannas abound.

Personnel

In an odd personnel quirk whose origin is lost to history, many of the armored support vehicles used by the 2nd have come to be crewed by the indigenous plainstribesmen of the planet, rather than the descendents of the Imperial settlers. The tribesmen view the machine spirits of their tanks as the collective consciousness of the tribe’s ancestors, and view it as a mobile shrine to those who have gone before. Every tank so crewed carries its tribe’s pictograph history on its armored skirts. Tank commanders are revered warchiefs of their tribes, and it is not uncommon to see them in broad war bonnets, whooping out their native battle cries as their Leman Russes plow across the battlefield.

As Nueva Antonia has been crossed over by xeno force after xeno force, tiny enclaves of nonhumans have occasionally been left behind. A few of these have effectively “gone native” rather than be hunted down—the most notable example being a contingent of Kroot mercenaries that were adopted into several of the native plainstribes. Some of these leftover invaders have even found their way into the Imperial cult, and actually serve in the irregulars. For their part, the command staff always needs more trained fighters, and tends to wink at the presence of a xeno or two, so long as proper oaths are sworn and sacraments received. Historically, a lone Eldar once rose as high as squad sergeant before coming to the notice of the Inquisition and being executed, and a band of Ork boyz was once posthumously (using the term loosely) decorated for valor in defending a human farm village against a detachment of Chaotic scouts.

Doctrines

As has been stated, there are very few widely applied doctrinal decisions made in the 2nd. Different companies, and even different units within those companies, fight in a vast array of styles that are too numerous to list. That said, there is a single doctrine that tends toward commonality, and it is as follows:

Bushwhackers: The Irregulars practice an odd tactic when faced with invasion forces. Certain particularly hardy soldiers volunteer to hire themselves out to whoever is invading as scouts and extra local muscle, only to turn on their “employers” at the most inopportune time. Multiple small bands of heavily armed soldiers suddenly opening fire from within an enemy’s ranks has been proven to sow confusion and bring advantage, and provides the Irregulars with their best weapon against those who would threaten their homes. (This doctrine is functionally identical to the Drop Troops doctrine, which encourages alternate ways for troops to “drop” into enemy lines).
Old 08 Nov 2005, 01:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin
Default Re: The 2nd Antonian Irregulars

Brilliant! Quite possibly the best regiment I have ever seen. Then again I was raised on old westerns... Anyways my Tau force has a bit of a western feel to em, too. You using special models for this, and if so can I see em?
Old 08 Nov 2005, 13:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

awesome. lets see that list.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 09 Nov 2005, 11:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Here's what I've been running lately.

2nd Antonian Irregulars
1500 Points
(Doctrines: Drop Troops, Close Order Drill, Ogryns, Rough Riders)

HQ – Command Platoon

Command Squad
Junior Officer, Laspistol, CC wpn, Honorifica Imperialis (The Cap’n)
1 Guardsman, Laspistol, CC wpn (“Cookie”, the ratling chef—CC wpn is a really big spoon)
2 Guardsmen, Lasgun, Mortar Team (“Slim” the mole-gunner, and Gun Captain Norris)
1 Guardsman, Lasgun, MasterVox (“The New Guy”)

TROOPS – Infantry Platoon Alpha

Command Squad
Junior Officer, Bolter
4 Guardsmen, Lasgun, Plasma Gun

Infantry Squad Alpha One
Sergeant, Laspistol, CC Wpn
9 Guardsmen, Lasguns, Missile Launcher team, 1 w/Flamer, 1 w/Vox-caster

Infantry Squad Alpha Two
As Alpha One

TROOPS – Infantry Platoon Bravo

As Platoon Alpha

ELITE – Goober and the Peanut Gallery

Ogryn Squad
9 Ogryns, Ripper Gun, Frag Grenades
“Goober” - Bone ‘ead, Ripper Gun, Frag Grenades

FAST ATTACK – Rough Riders

Rough Rider Squad
10 Rough Riders, 5 w/Shotguns, 1 w/Vox-caster, 5 w/Hunting Lances

HEAVY SUPPORT – The Thunderchief

Leman Russ Demolisher
Demolisher Cannon, Hull Lascannon, Sponson PlasCannons, Pintle StormBolter

HEAVY SUPPORT – Rattlesnake

Leman Russ
Battle Cannon, Hull Hvy Bolter, Sponson Hvy Bolters, Pintle Hvy Stubber
Searchlight

HEAVY SUPPORT – Coyote

Leman Russ
Battle Cannon, Hull Hvy Bolter, Sponson Hvy Flamers, Pintle Hvy Stubber
Searchlight

HQ Total: 100 Points
Elite Total: 260 Points
Troops Total: 506 Points
Fast Attack Total: 94 Points
Heavy Support Total: 531 Points
TOTAL POINTS: 1491

Old 09 Nov 2005, 11:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

fantastic fluff and interesting list! I'd add smoke to the tanks, but otherwise it is very interesting indeed.

Wanax
Old 09 Nov 2005, 15:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

solid as a rock.a very nicely balanced list.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 09 Nov 2005, 22:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks. I appreciate the look.

I will admit that I'm torn about the Rough Riders. Rough Riders are such a one-use unit I've been having trouble knowing exactly when to expend them for maximum impact.

In it's next iteration, this list will probably swap out the rough riders for a Plasma-packin' Veteran squad.

Wanax, I tend to deploy the tanks hull down, so as to get around the lack of smoke launchers. Once stuff starts moving, I just try and keep the front armor pointed toward the enemy, and hope I can shoot them enough to stay out of danger.

Shir'Rin, I am working on conversions, and will probably never stop. Darn me for creating fluff that calls them ragtag. Eventualy I'd love to have an army where no two figures match, but they've got just enough of a common theme so they look cohesive on the table. At this points, my cohesion is achieved through pants. Everyone's got uniform pants, grey with a stripe down the leg. After that, though, I go with whatever kind of figure it is. I've got Cadians (mostly), Catachans, Necromundans, really old Rogue Trader Pirates, and blends of all the above. The Necromunda stuff is especially helpful to me. Van Saar heads have nice nifty beards, The Orlocks have a pleasantly biker look to them, and many of the different sprues have big revolvers and/or shotguns that look very 40k-Cowboy. My army commander figure is actually a Necromunda Bounty Hunter figure.

For hats, I cruised down to my local dollar store and bought several packs of those cheap plastic "Cowboy and Indian" figure bags. The quality of the castings is terrible, but the hats themselves can be sculpted a bit with a rotary tool and then cut away to be mounted on a Guardsman's head. The fit is a little odd sometimes, producing an army that looks great from three feet away, but a little chintzy up close, but most views are from three feet anyway, so I'm not concerned.
Old 09 Nov 2005, 22:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Wow! What an army list, what fluff!

I was thinking, going along with all the Native American storyline, about "battle languages". Many regiments have types of coded, difficult to understand, battle field languages. Now, do you know what the Navajo "Code Talkers" were? Basically, (As short a history lesson as I can make this) they were a group of Navajo soldiers during WWII who fought in the Pacific War. They used their native language as code, and the Japanese never figured it out! Now if you wanted to, you could work this in to your fluff. Just a suggestion.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 02:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

i would keep the riders. if anything, they are a high profile combat squad, and effective with the lances.the plasma squad would be as good as the rough riders, but plasma in the hands of guardsmen tend to roll ones. the expectations of each squad is different too. either 110 for a squad you know will die, or a squad you pray wont. honestly, i would have two five man teams of riders. one armed with shotguns, the other with lances. the lances provide a means to take out a high profile enemy, while the shotguns clean up a retinue. it would save a few points here or there too. the shotguns are magic, since you can move and shoot with them and then assualt. i know that i use one every where i can in my catachan army, cause they really shine.

as for your commander, i know exactly which one, i wanted to use him as an inquisitor. ^-^

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 22:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
i would keep the riders. if anything, they are a high profile combat squad,
That's certainly true. As "something you don't see every day", Rough Riders are pretty cool. And that alone has kept them in the list for a good long time, and will probably continue to keep them there.

But a Vet squad full of plasma guns is sooo cool. They either hit or die. Which is fun all by itself.

Quote:
do you know what the Navajo "Code Talkers" were?
I do. My degree's in History.

And it's an interesting idea, but the central focus of the army is really the cowboys rather than the indians. Part of the concept of the plainstribes is that they're vaguely nomadic, and resist regimentation other than their shamanistic Emperor-worship. Most any 'indian' element in an Irregulars army list is a band of warriors that were in the area when the fight started, rather than any sort of defined military unit. In fact, most every unit on the list, indian or not, is representative of a small group of armed men (and women) who happened to be available when the actual HQ group came through town.

That's all part of the 'ragtag band of individualists' concept behind the entire army. I thought for a while about using Ratlings as the comm officers, since some of the figs have radio headsets on (and the 'ballcap and jeans' look of the figures is perfect for my purposes), but it felt too uniform for me to say "all comm troopers are ratlings" in an army where certain companies may not have any ratlings at all.

(As an aside, I'm aware that the term 'indian' isn't entirely PC anymore. I use the term for utility only, as it's shorter and less cumbersome than the alternatives.)
Closed Thread