Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Holy Army
Closed Thread
Old 07 Nov 2005, 22:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default The Holy Army

Hi I am changing my army to the Holy Army of High Priest Alpharius Altyre of the Emperor. The army is his personal bodyguard, the most devotional are his elite retinue of fanatics. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for this fanatic army ??? : ???

Turning and Turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Thanks to Drobot for the sig
Old 07 Nov 2005, 23:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: The Holy Army

A big fat Sisters of Battle allied contingent is probably a good idea. Then take the mechanized doctrine (assuming that an Ecclesiarchical force has some good funding), and trick out your Chimeras (and all your vehicles, I suppose) with SoB bitz. Forge World sells some really cool Witchhunter pieces, but then so does GW.

In fact, you might want to consider making this a Witchhunter army with a heavy Guard allied contingent, rather than the other way around. But either works; it's really just a matter of deciding which list you want to draw your HQ from.

Of course, if you go Guard, you get doctrines, which are cool. Doctrinally, Die-Hards and Iron Discipline might not hurt. I've already mentioned Mechanized. If you want to get all kinds of crazy, use the Abhuman doctrines and go with the Afriel Strain. Fluff it up by saying that rather than being creepy gene-enhanced albinos, they're just hyperindoctrinated obnoxiously puritan zealots, and people dislike them not because they're weird, but because they're annyoing.
Old 08 Nov 2005, 13:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

redemptionists from necromunda would work

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 08 Nov 2005, 18:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

I think the priests doctrine goes without saying

Old 08 Nov 2005, 18:59   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Just so you know, I believe the "high priest" would bealled a Cardinal.

Priests = self-explanatory!
Conscripts = hoardes of pilgrims and fanatics drawn to the Cardinal.
Stormtroopers = bodyguards assigned by the schola progenia / Ordo Hereticus.
Die Hards = Faith can stop bullets!
Iron Discipline = the men will gladly die for the Cardinal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 08 Nov 2005, 23:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

you could also use the cardnal from the witch hunter codex, with the corresponding followers.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 09 Nov 2005, 07:41   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

That is an Apostate Cardinal! It's a Chaos unit! Damn you to an eternity of hell for suggesting such heresy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 09 Nov 2005, 16:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

not really. use the rules for it .but say that he has not turned to the darkside, and use the traitor troops (rules, of course) as his flock.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 09 Nov 2005, 22:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

G's got a good point, and at this point I'd like to say a little something about rules and fluff.

Here it goes: If you have really interesting and fun fluff that will provide a good (and quick) story at the table, as well as some interesting and fun model conversion options, then you should by all means use it, and you shouldn't let the rules get in your way.

Now let me clarify that, as Wargamer's head is doubtless about to explode.

By saying that, I mean that you can probably use a variety of lists to accomplish what you want, and you can explain any (well, almost any) list pick through fluff. I regularly play against a guy who uses the Speed Freek lists from the Ork 'dex, but his figures are all Fantasy lizardmen with a bunch of conversion-work done (cybernetic power limbs, radio backpacks, added shootas, integral choppas, the works). The figures are gorgeous, and he explains the army's physical composition (the Lizardmen part) this way: The army is a genetic experimentation on the part of a Chaos Marine chapter; rather than try and convert/capture traitor Guard to give them the numbers for protracted fighting, they grow these lizard things in big vats, surgically enhance them, and then turn them loose on the battlefield.

Now let me dovetail this back into Gorcyca's point. Using Chaos rules for your Cardinal's retinue is probably fine. I say probably because to do so you'll need to do two things. First, you'll need some good (and easy to explain to your opponent) fluff to cover the choice. Second, you'll need fluffy descriptions for whatever Chaos Powers your guys may end up with, and be ready to explain that briefly as they come up ("Nah, they're not chaos berserkers bent on clawing your face off. They're frenzied fanatics who want to introduce you to the wrath of the Emperor!").

Good fluff can cover a multitude of genre-bending and list manipulation. And if you've got it in you to fluffify something like the Chaos list into something Imperial, go for it. Just don't do it halfway, or it'll be lame. Really. ;D
Old 10 Nov 2005, 13:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

thank you austin. im saying just use the rules for the apostate. usualy chaos corrupts one out of hundreds. does this mean the others must follow suit? the quick answer is no. now, if one had some kind of un-harnessable powers that went wrong, that would be a different story, but when representing members of the clergy, a cardnal is way up there. it would be a great choice and fluffy, cause everyone and their mother has a following of believers. i will end in saying he could be the coolest kid at the shop, because no one plays with the witch hunter advasaries in their game shop, especially in the manner of which i speak. it would be neat to put together, since all sorts of models could be contributed into this kind of army. but then again, its up to him.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Closed Thread