Closed Thread
Old 07 Nov 2005, 11:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 1500 w/ Doctrines

1504 points

HQ:
1 Command Platoon
-* Command Squad (127)
* *Heroic Senior Officer w/ Power Weapon, Boltpistol, Carapace Armor, Iron Discipline
* *1 Veteran Medic
* *3 Guardsmen w/ Melta-Guns

1 Commissar (Power Weapon, Power Fist, Carapace Armor) (70)

Elites:

Hardened Veterans (121)
3 Vets w/ Melta-Guns
6 Vets w/ Laspistols and CC Weapons
Vet Sergeant w/ Power Weapon, Boltpistol

Hardened Veterans (121)
3 Vets w/ Melta-Guns
6 Vets w/ Laspistols and CC Weapons
Vet Sergeant w/ Power Weapon, Boltpistol

Troops
Infantry Platoon
Command Squad (91):
Junior Officer w/ Power Weapon, Boltpistol, Iron Discipline
1 Veteran Medic
3 Guardsmen w/ Plasmaguns

Infantry Squad w/ Lascannon and Plasmagun (95)
Infantry Squad w/ Heavy Bolter and Grenade Launcher (78)
Infantry Squad w/ Autocannon and Plasmagun (85)
Infantry Squad w/ Missile Launcher and Plasmagun (85)

Armored Fist Squad (165)
Sergeant w/ Lasgun
9 Guardsmen w/ Lasguns
1 Guardsman w/ Melta-Gun
Chimera w/ Multi-Laser, Heavy Flamer

Fast Attack
1 Hellhound (Pintle Storm Bolter) (125)

Heavy Support
1 Leman Russ Demolisher w/ Plasma Cannon sponsons, Lascannon(175)
1 Leman Russ w/ Heavy Bolter sponsons, Lascannon (165)

Doctrines:
Iron Discipline
Close Order Drill
Veterans
Drop Troops
Something else (Xeno-Fighters?)

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 14:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 1500 w/ Doctrines

First, ditch all the silly carapace armor...one model out of a whole group wearing it is a waste of points.

Second, why does the commie have two weapons...powerfists are wasted on S3 models, I'd drop that for a boltpistol. And change the strombolter on the colonel to a boltpistol, too. The only reasonable way to take stormbolters in the imperial guard is to take five of them for a platoon headquarters squad. Comes in around 90 points, IIRC, and does evil things to space elves.

Third, might I suggest drop troops as doctrine number four? Deepstriking the veterans will kill more tanks than setting them up 18" away and running through bolter fire...

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 07 Nov 2005, 18:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Is there ANYTHING that is good with the Power Fist? I'll remove it, but should I use a Plasma Pistol instead? They do more damage.

BTW, what do Krak Grenades do and are they worth it?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 22:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

None of the grenades are worth it. Ever. Really.

On Frag grenades: If you're close enough to charge an enemy unit in cover, you're close enough to rapid-fire them and hit them with a Flamer template, which ignores cover. If the unit in the cover is a close combat unit, they'll break cover soon enough anyway, so you don't have to go in after them. And if they are a close combat unit, attacking simultaneously with them isn't good enough. They'll still get all their attacks, and kill you anyway.

On Krak grenades: The Death or Glory maneuver, while fun in its own way, is so unlikely to work as to make the attempt laughable. If you're being tank shocked, it's probably going to be by a vehicle with more than 10 points of front armor, as vehicles with 10 points of front armor are probably transport vehicles, and are better off unloading their troops on you than trying to shuffle you aside. And once you get to AV 12 and above, your Krak grenades are next to useless.

On Melta bombs: Yeah, they're better against the armor in the Death or Glory maneuver, but they're going to be on an officer-type. And do you really want to stand your officers in front of rolling tanks? Since if he happens to miss, he's toast?

On Power Fists: Next to grenades, the Power Fist is the single most useless piece of wargear an IG army can pack along. Really. To make it work, you have to bury it such that the fist wielder doesn't die before he can get good use out of it, and short of Conscript platoons, the IG hasn't got an effective way of doing that. Heck, even the conscripts aren't a really *good* way of doing it.

But that's just me.
Old 07 Nov 2005, 23:02   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

What planet are you whiteshields recruited from!? The Powerfist is an awesome weapon! Str 6, no armour saves, and when given to a Commissar, he can't be singled out! The number of times I've seen big, tough Marine (Imperial, Chaos and Necron) characters go down to the Progenia boy with the energy glove proves they are worth it.

Always give them to Commissars. Give Preachers an Eviscerator. Never give the Fist to an Independent Character; Guard don't live long enough!

Ditch the Plasma Pistol unless you're really desperate for Marine killing. For it's cost, it's not often worth it, and if you roll an overheat (much easier in the 4th Edition garbage) then you're almost certainly losing a Wound. Considering you can't really take damage to begin with, it's too great a risk for too little reward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 08 Nov 2005, 19:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Drop Troops allow all infantry without transports to deep-strike. Does this mean infantry-scale models. If so, can these deep-strike?

Infantry Platoon
Conscripts
Veterans
Command Squad (and officer)
Commisar

If so, I'd think that a Melta-Gun-toting guardsmen and Power Weapon-toting officer with a Commisar would be able to do a lot of damage via deep-strike, especially against the Tau, a common army in my area.

Is there anything else that needs changing?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Old 08 Nov 2005, 19:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

BB this is exactly my doctrine route. I will have only tanks, heavy weapons, and a few IG troop meat sheilds on the baseline, the rest drop in and melt/shoot everything within 12"....then die of course, but not before causing damage

Wanax
Old 09 Nov 2005, 04:58   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaso Wanax
BB this is exactly my doctrine route.* I will have only tanks, heavy weapons, and a few IG troop meat sheilds on the baseline, the rest drop in and melt/shoot everything within 12"....then die of course, but not before causing damage

Wanax
and if all guard command operated according to your modus we would rule the universe... but... drop trooops are random... tanks are easy kills for lucky rollers... and as an imperial officer i must object to your use of the term 'meat-shield' as it is bad for morale. as a regular ol guard army shouldnt we focus on guns.. guns... lots of guns... more guns you got figeres for kinda guns son! so many guns it makes my brain hurt even to to think of the numbers involved when it comes to guns!! heh heh. vote fer me!
Old 09 Nov 2005, 11:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

As a person who has faced up to 4 LR in a 1500 pt game, I can tell you that even Tau have difficulty killing these tanks outright. Use of smoke, terrain, and random dice luck keeps the mighty RG confounded.

I have in the last 2 months faced (aside from Deldar and D hunters) nothing but drop troops. SM dropping is now so potent that it defies planning. IG dropping is not as safe, but it is a very powerful tactic. It is almost essential to have DS troops against Drop podding SM armies, since it is often the only way left to get to a table quarter.

Wanax
Closed Thread