Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Just starting Imperial Guard army
Closed Thread
Old 04 Nov 2005, 19:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Just starting Imperial Guard army

I am currently a tau player, but have decided that I would like to start an imperial guard army. like most armies that I think of creating, I want it to follow IG fluff. What would be some good units to start the army with? I was thinking a commander, 1 platoon of guardsmen (about 2 squads, to get started) and an armoured fist squad. and also, what does the battle force box come with, and is it worth getting? and are sanctioned pyskers/ commissars any good?

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 04 Nov 2005, 19:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Just starting Imperial Guard army

battleforce starts with 20 IG troopers, 3 heavy weapons sections and a LR tank. Also you get the bonus peices of destroyed buildings. not a bad way to start.

I'm also starting IG, and have 40 troops, one sentinal, 3 lascannon teams, and 3 mortar teams. Next come the tanks.

Wanax
Old 04 Nov 2005, 19:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

wait , my friend, the new IG models are about a year off. however, if you cant wait,ebay is your friend. also talk to the vets in your store. the may be able to sell you some models at a very modest price. but the battle force will allow you to have a few early games, if you can get another platoon .

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 04 Nov 2005, 22:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I fully support the gamer formerly known as Fingolfin, in that ebay is your friend. It's even more friendly when you're looking for tanks.

I reckon that there are a lot of players out there who start buying some guard, don't get enough figures, try and play them like Space Marines, lose, and grow disillusioned with Guard. These armies invariably end up on ebay, where we few (we happy few, we band of brothers) can buy them on the cheap. ;D
Old 04 Nov 2005, 22:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Personally i always use commissars, they are very efective, and a must have when using conscripts. Sanctioned pyskers aren't very good, but then again are extremely cheap.(cheapest psykers you'll find) i only use them when i give them an honorifica imperialis. And they are right for guard(and all GW stuff) eBay is great, but when buying tanks make sure that the guns haven't been glued down.

Old 05 Nov 2005, 03:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Austin
I reckon that there are a lot of players out there who start buying some guard, don't get enough figures, try and play them like Space Marines, lose, and grow disillusioned with Guard.* These armies invariably end up on ebay, where we few (we happy few, we band of brothers) can buy them on the cheap.* *;D
sad but true. many gamers fail to see the true potential of the guard. it becomes a short lived fad, really.for an example, i got 1 chimera(minus the turret), a leman russ, 106 various catachan figures(officers, guardsmen, and SW), 4 sentinels (all auticannons), 6 orgryns, 6 heaqvy weapon crews, various uncompleted catachans, and two cases to carry them in all for $100.00 at my store. granted, you may not be so lucky, but it doest hurt to ask . ebay is your friend. as are file sharing programs. they will save you money!

austin, as for the name, it is my last name. good old fashoned pollock.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 05 Nov 2005, 11:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Austin
(we happy few, we band of brothers)
~groan~

You plan on walling up any breaches with your cadian dead?

Anyway, yeah, the key to IG is lots of troops. Individually, they suck unbelievably...but when your model count exceeds your opponent's by 3 to 1, that's when they really shine. To start with, you'll need at least 40 men: two squads of 10 and a squad of 4 (plus officer) for the obligatory platoon. Another squad of ten (with chimera) for an armored fist platoon, and 4 more men (plus officer) for the obligatory HQ squad. If you don't take the armored fist squad, you'll need more like 55 men, minimum.

As someone else mentioned, the psycher is only good when given honorifica imperialis. A really nasty trick is having an honorifica psycher with force weapon, a colonel with power weapon, a comissar with power weapon, a priest with eviscerator and holy item, and four veterans with pistol/blade combinations for your HQ squad. Insanely powerful (for IG) at an insane price, but still only toughness 3. You won't get awy with it twice, either, but I tore the crap out of another IG player with it.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 05 Nov 2005, 11:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i call that tactic the jaw droper. no one expects to see 300 guardsmen charge into your assault marines. Then you use your men as extra wounds for your officers and such, after about 3 turns of being powerfisted into oblivion the enemy tends to give up.

Old 05 Nov 2005, 11:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sanctioned Psykers are good for novelty value, and can possibly give you a highly useful psychic power (personally I prefer Aura of Command to keep the troops in line). *Honifica Imperalis plus Force Weapon is highly effective, but far too expensive.

Commissars are extremely handy, especially when Independant. *Sucks that you have to pay 10pts more and can only have 3, but they are great at keeping Conscripts in line. *Shame about them being Independant Characters when they do so, meaning Power Fists are a bit of a gamble...

Priests on the other hand need an Eviserator, period. *They can't be singled out like an Independant Commissar, and the extra D6 against vehicles and walkers is a godsend. *Rosarius aren't worth the points, considering they can't really be picked out anyway - shame you can't give them to anyone else...

~Andromidius
Old 05 Nov 2005, 12:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I have a few other questions, too. when making a platoon, do the squads all have to be under the same unit type, or can I combine them( I.E a platoon with 2 squads of infantry and a squad of armoured fist). and also, for sanctioned pyskers, do I roll each turn for a different pyschic power, or do you roll once and use that psychic power for the whole game?

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Closed Thread