Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Catachan Experiment
Closed Thread
Old 25 Oct 2005, 04:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default The Catachan Experiment

Ok, you know how you are in some local gaming shop minding your own business when somebody outta nowhere says something that really chaps your hide. Whelp about a year ago I was playing a friendly game of 40k when one of the store employees says the following statement, “ Codex Catachans are THE worst army in the game.” Okay. First thought, was this the opening argument to the age-old discussion on who got army got more nerfed? Or was he a disgruntled I.G. player venting? Whelp to me, it was a challenge. So I bought me a box set of some Catachans and starting painting. A few dollars more and some mediocre paint jobs later and I had pretty decent force. Ooops forgot to buy the codex, once I did that I began to read it….scary. I had been an I.G. player since 1st ed., granted I had taken a few years off from playing the game since 3rd ed. came out, but I considered myself a pretty decent player. Codex Catachan, …scary… the following words hurt me deep: 9pts. a model, no transports, no tanks, the heavy support section consists of ummm mortars and booby traps.

So after the army was painted up I place the Codex in a vault and decided to use the new I.G. codex using the doctrines that made sense for the Catachans, (Jungle Fighters, Hardened Fighters, Veterans, Ogryns, Special Weapons Sqds.). I was getting mopped every time. Then I went cheaper less fluff, used only a few doctrines and somehow, don’t ask me how but I turned the army into a shooty defensive static army. I manage to win a few games against Orks. Still no good. Then I went from less fluff to absolutely no fluff. Yeah, I jumped the shark as they say, sold out, grew a beard. It was ugly, then I gave up playing them. I let my nephew try them out for a while. He was new to 40k entirely, so I had to teach him everything but doing so it gave me new insight to Codex Catachans.

First off, most hobby store tables have generally two types of tables; bombed out city and forest. Meaning that Catachans, could use their special abilities in most of the time. Second after downloading the PDF from GW I took a second read on the Codex and thought, yeah this army can win. It will take some adjustment in my tactics and a given learning curb filled with losses and army list variations, but never-the-less Catachans could win. Finally the models are just the best of the IG (in my opinion). They remind me of a South American freedom fighting army, so I created a background that mimicked that ideal.

Then it was time to hit the table using the Codex Catachans for the first time as they were intended. My first match was against a very balance Ultra Marine Player. 1250 pts. My list not the greatest in hindsight, but still it won! A major victory over a defensive shooty army with a 3+ save. I must say the most impressive squad that battle was my Catachan Devils sqd, I paid the extra 48 pts for an officer and then gave him a p-fist. Then I used the ambush ability to get up front then assaulted his tactical sqd. Supported by the HQ that infiltrated into the woods that was a heavy one two punch that won the game.

Here was my first attempt at a list:

Hq.
Cpt. Conejo w Storm bolter, P-Weapon, Refractor Field 60pts
Conejo’s Body Guard (3)and Grenade Launchers 45pts.

Troops
Platoon Comander w/p weapon 25pts.

DWV Sqd. (10) w/ Flamer 98pts.

DWV Sqd. (10) w/Flamer 98pts
DWV Fire Support sqd. 3 AC’s 129pts.

Troops II

Platoon Comander w/ p weapon 25pts.

DWV sqd. (10) w/Plasma and Missile Launcher 113pts.

DWV sqd. (10) w/Plasma and Missile Launcher 113pts.

DWV Fire support sqd. 2 heavy bolters 66pts.

7 Ogyrns 175pts.

Elites

2 DWV Snipers 40pts.

Catachan Devil Sqd.
4 vets
Veteran Sarge. w/ p.weapon
Officer with P-fist 201pts.

Heavy Support

2 Spring mines 50pts.

Total pts. 1253

First impressions, snipers cool ideal not very effective. Booby traps same deal, but I had to try them out. but I had no time for revisions because I was challenged again that very same day! This time against a tough Chaos army lead by a Deamon Prince with all the “standard upgrades”. I lost the battle badly, but the Boneheads proved well by sending the warped spawned monster back to the eye of terror. After the battle it was discovered that my opponent was over in points. Not much just a few hundred ;D I’ll rematch later. A week later I did. Armed with a revised list and a better overall strategy the Catachan 909th hit the battle field. End result, a draw almost point to point.

So I guess the point to all this simple, never judge an army by some preconceived notion of what an army has to have to be effective. Play towards their strength even if it’s not what you like. I am honestly surprised how well this army performs even at this early stage of my experimentation. Even with my bad list writing just understanding the basics of this army has kept me in games. And finally when someone who says they know something is the worst it’s probably because they have not played tried or haven’t tried with the spirit in mind.

[img width=650 height=169]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1077/ordounlimitedsigcopybcopylc7.jpg[/img]
Old 25 Oct 2005, 19:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy
Default Re: The Catachan Experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadiabulldog
.* Whelp about a year ago I was playing a friendly game of 40k when one of the store employees says the following statement, “ Codex Catachans are THE worst army in the game.”*
how wrong he was. did you shoot him? will you do that for me?

as for the list-first, the catachan snipers are competent choices, but they cannot move, which can possibly hold you back
second- mines- your only heavy choice? that will hold you back a little, but i am glad to see that you have made up for it with the fire support and the missile launchers, which leads me to three
third-the missile launchers should not be mixed with the plasma guns. you will loose the mobility for the plasma gun or waste chances of using the ML
fourth-devils-201 pts for four guys??!!* if you want to ambush that bad, go to the combat patrols. much cheaper, and you can ambush. put the rest of the points into an assault team.(btw, you dont get the officer and the vet sgt. one or the other.)
*ammendment after second look- grenade lanchers arent meant for the jungles. also EVERY officer should have a refractor feild.i had a guy survrve 12 attaks against a chaos vetran team all by himself due to that extra piece of metal. also you can have vechiles. that just means thet the catachans were sent to a world with a less than acceptable PDF/ guard force. it says that at the top. and in the old codex.

good luck on your way to catachan greatness, and welcome to the club. you make the third catachan player at TO

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 20:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I admit the first attempt at list writting I made mistakes. I have since taken out the GL's in favor of las pistol and hand to hand weapon to make them a true assault sqd. Playing without vehicles is by choice for me, and so far it has not hinder me that much and yes I have taken the plasma guns out of the ML sqds. I do love playing this army and welcome any more advice you have to offer me. Once I figure out how to post pics on this site I will show the lot of Guzman's Guerrillas!

[img width=650 height=169]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1077/ordounlimitedsigcopybcopylc7.jpg[/img]
Old 26 Oct 2005, 01:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

be sure and have a medic toohttp://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11076.0. this is my little list, abiet, it has changed a little.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 02:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Its good to see that you gave them a second shot. I personally dont believe any army is the worst and think any army can defeat any other if played right. When I first went to the hobby store I go to with my Tau army I was met with critisism, the old statement that Tau suck. After taking a look at the other players I decided to show them how wrong they were. True I was not an experienced 40k gamer by any standards but I still won and my army performed magnificintly. Everyone there changed their oppinions of Tau immediately with the destruction of the armies that I faced.

Catachans can be used to great effect, I would suggest putting some mortars in there just because I know I hate facing them. Used carefully they can be devastating and can lead the way for your army and flush troops out of hiding.

Good luck, Im glad to see people breaking out of the norm.

Old 26 Oct 2005, 02:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

you should see them in city fight. madness.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 03:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Catachans can be used to great effect, I would suggest putting some mortars in there just because I know I hate facing them. Used carefully they can be devastating and can lead the way for your army and flush troops out of hiding.

Yeah, during the fight against the vanilla chaos player i did in fact field some motors mainly, I admit to balance out my list after ditching the booby traps they worked well I must admit. I will be tiring out sentinels in my next list, I have used sentinels before, but never with the heavy flamer option. I think they can be a great countercharge unit esp. against low str. armies..I will have to post the results of that experiment after the battle is fought.

Old 26 Oct 2005, 03:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin
be sure and have a medic toohttp://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11076.0. this is my little list, abiet, it has changed a little.
Wow, I would have to buy atleast another box set to mimic that list I would love to try out the caty's at 2k.

Old 26 Oct 2005, 15:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

yeah, well i still need a few more mortarsand some shotties

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Closed Thread