Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

PDf Organisation
Closed Thread
Old 16 Oct 2005, 13:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default PDf Organisation

Is the organisation of the PDF the same as or near enough the same as the standard IG? I've heard people say that the PDF isn't like standard Guard, so I was wondering about it because I plan to include some in my Arbites army.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 15:51   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: PDf Organisation

From everything i have read, PDF is pretty much like the Guard, but without as many cool toys and trinkets and variety. It depends on what planet they are on, though. There is no army list specifically for PDF - but one can assume the defenders of Tallarn would be likely equipped much the same as the Guard regiments raised there, likewise Cadian PDF would probably have Kasrkin and heavy infantry much like a Cadian regiment, etc. I would think that inclusion of 'off-world' troops who aren't from the same planet as the regiment such as Commissars, Stormtroopers, Psykers, and so on would probably be more scarce.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 16:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I don't know too much about the PDF forces, but from what I've heard they're basically the fighters who arn't good enough to be guard - you could represent them by taking lots of conscripts and not as many cool & special units and gear.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 16:45   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Basically, they are Imperial Guard, but weaker. My suggestions on how to create a "standard" PDF unit:

No tanks of any kind, not even Chimeras. No Sentinels either.

No Commissars, Ogryns, Stormtroopers or Ratling Snipers.

Only include Rough Riders if the world uses cavalry.

No Plasma weapons.

Keep the number of Heavy Bolters and Lascannons to a minimum; these are high-maintenance, and quite expensive weapons, so rarely appear in the PDF armoury.

No Doctrines; the troops aren't good enough to be considered Guard, so they won't have those kind of skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 17 Oct 2005, 00:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

well, unless the pdf is a defence of a fortress world ore if the world is huge they ooften use armoured Cav...
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 17 Oct 2005, 02:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, PDF is alot like National Guard here in the US. They are not usally sent out off-world, and thier primary task is protecting thier planet. In my army, I include a platoon and one LR tht are classified Minsk-PDF. They are not different game terms, but they wear a standard fatigue instead of camo, and the tank is black and red instead of the normal white and green of Valhallan Taiga armour. House rules would be cool... Anyways, they are all armed with lasguns, either a ML or a mortar, a couple of flamers and GLs, and the leman russ has no sponsons. or track guards or improved comms or extra-armour. It does have a pintle weapon though, but it is stark plain against my other armor, which is exactly what I wanted.

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Closed Thread