Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Taste of his own medicine
Closed Thread
Old 07 Oct 2005, 08:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to king.com
Default Taste of his own medicine

Well someone from on this forum cough cough *Tyrehire* cough cough has been looking at my army list to prepare his own list so i think he deserves a taste of his own medicine.

His list is:

Crisis (the 2 wound one)
plasma, fusion blaster and shield gen

(Possible kroot)

12 firewarrior (bonded)

12 firewarrior (bonded)

If the kroot are not taken then he will use stealth suits with a different commander (falmer, twin-linked missle pod)

How can i gear up to fight this?
Old 07 Oct 2005, 08:42   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll
Default Re: Taste of his own medicine

Don't. If you gear your list then you stoop to his level and will become a power gamer, if oyu gear your list once then you will become addicted to gearing lists to fight certain opponents and in the end people may choose not to play you. I know this because we have a chaos/eldar player at our club who finds it very hard to get a game as he always gears his list, hence why he has never been beaten.

Just play the way you normally play and hope for the best, even if you lose you still win because you didn't stoop to his level and you didn't gear your list.

Good luck. let me know how it works out.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Old 07 Oct 2005, 09:28   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

/newbieadvice

I would assume you're playing combat patrol, so, bring infiltrating storm troopers and lots of heavy bolters. Storm troopers in ruins get a 4+ cover safe and pulse rifles don't take their 4+ away, giving them alot of staying power. Heavy bolters are fire warriors nightmare, as the 36" range means that you can shoot them before they can shoot you. Otherwise, bring lots of guardsmen, storm troopers, or a chimaera works, since str 5 pulse rifles can't hurt it.
Old 07 Oct 2005, 10:30   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

As I've already said, DON'T gear your list, it can kill the game before it's even begun.

I know because that chaos/eldar player I mentioned brought 11 starcannons and 6 scatter-lasers in his 1500pt eldar army against my 'Nids, the fact that I had no cover didn't help either, I was dead before I rolled for first turn and everyone there knew it.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Old 07 Oct 2005, 22:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Hmm... an IG player trying to trounce the glorious Tau? Some one has to do it!

I play Tau, and my friend is IG. Here is what you should do:

- Make cover-y terrain. You need every bit of help you can get. Firewarriors have AP 5 and Str 5 shots, but their BS is 3. Make it as hard as possible to to get hit... once you are hit, it wounds on a 2 and gives you no armor save. Trenches and sandbags are your friends.

- Tau are bad in assault as in they don't seek it out. Assault wisely, or they will pummel you

- Suicide charges are a terrible idea. As soon as you break cover, you loose 4 guards from each fire warrior team EACH turn. Try a Chimera.

- Oh, about the Chimera: The basic firewarrior has an str 5 shot. A whole team can definatly penetrate the rear, possibly sides.

- The 24'' guys with missile launchers that have the blast radius are your best friend... In particularly brutal games, these things have inflicted every casualty to me.

- You have superiority in numbers. Get in range, get in cover, out shoot Tau.

Just some simple things to keep in mind.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 07 Oct 2005, 23:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to king.com

ok, just so everyone know i will power game once. Just to see what its like.
Old 08 Oct 2005, 01:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

just take a standard list, and include some autocannons and missile launchers. that will handle the infantry and chrisis.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 08 Oct 2005, 09:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I assume you won't be allowed to field a demolisher? Pity....

I guess it's heavy bolters, then. two platoons with two squads each means 6 heavy bolters, plus a seventh in the HQ command squad...6 more in fire support squads in the HQ platoon.

If you have points left, maybe some (preferably deepstriking) sentinels...with heavy flamers ;D These should strike enough terror into his heart that he spends a lot of shots trying to kill or disable them. Being deepstruck, he has to destroy the weapon AND imobilise it to render it harmless. since he has to hit at Bs3, roll a 5 to glance or a 6 to pen, that's 6 shots to get a single damage roll. for each sentinel you send, one of his squads has to dedicate a turn (at minimum!) of shooting. Every turn he spends shooting at sentinels is a turn he's not shooting at your heavy bolters. And God help him if a sentinel gets into charging range. Then that tau squad eats a heavy flamer and gets tied up in hand-to-hand, where the sentinel ~might~ kill one model per turn, but they won't hurt it at all. You just rendered 1/3 of his shooting power useless for ~45 points! Go full-on catachan and add the chainsaw, and you might even kill the squad eventually.

The answer to tau in such a small game is sentinels and heavy bolters.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 08 Oct 2005, 09:09   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

This list is easy to beat...

1) Write a balanced list.

2) Tell him, after he's written his list, that you're playing a scenario. His list won't be made for completing objectives, so you just sit back and slaughter him as he tries (and fails) to complete whatever mission is set out. Remember; if you white-wash your opponent, you win the game automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 11 Oct 2005, 00:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I assume white-washing is killing his last man...

More hints:

If you *have* to do an infantry charge, take a full platoon. Your casualties are going to be steep, but once you hit his line, you win. Don't do this if they are mechanized tau. Mech Tau is unstoppable.

Oh, and about power gaming... We are perfectly able to switch our crisis suit weapons as we please. Its actually in our codex. But, any further mods to a list isn't none fun.

Chimera WILL fall to fire warriors. Please don't show them your sides.

Hammerhead is better than a Leman Russ... blast it if you value your life.

To clarify, ROCKET LAUNCHERS are your friends. Grenades are OK, but rockets are better by alot.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Closed Thread