Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vendetta/Leman Russ Punisher List
Old 22 Jun 2010, 02:15   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Vendetta/Leman Russ Punisher List

HQ: Company Command Squad
Three Meltaguns, Officer of the Fleet, Chimera. (195)

Troops: Veteran Squad
Three Meltaguns. (100) (Deploys in Vendetta)

Veteran Squad

Veteran Squad

Veteran Squad

Fast Attack: Vendetta Gunship Squadron
Two Vendettas, Heavy Bolter Sponsons on each. (240)

Vendetta Gunship
Heavy Bolter Sponsons. (140)

Vendetta Gunship

Heavy Support: Leman Russ Punisher
Heavy Bolter Sponsons. (200)

Leman Russ Punisher

Leman Russ Punisher

I wanted to try something different from Space Marines, and always loved the idea of air cavalry,so this seemed perfect. The Veterans are fast in their Vendetta transports and perfect for taking objectives. The 12 twin-linked lascannons and 15 Meltaguns can wipe any armour off the board and the 60 strength 5 Punisher shots and 42 heavy bolter shots can take care of infantry. I'm not really sure to do with the Command Squad, maybe deploy them with the Leman Russ? I took the Officer of the Fleet to mess with various outflankers and deep strike heavy Blood Angels. I'm also thinking of changing up the weapons on the Veterans. Any thoughts or criticism would be welcome.
Led Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2010, 03:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman
Default Re: Vendetta/Leman Russ Punisher List

First off, we're not allowed to post individual point costs for each unit. Sorry! Go ahead and remove them by hitting modify message in your top right.

Secondly, it's an interesting variation. You've certainly got enough anti-tank. I think you definitely have too much, especially with the melta-overkill. You're probably going to be OK with 3 vendettas as well.

Punishers won't make up for the anti-infantry, cool sounding as they are. They have semi-low strength, no AP, and you won't be hitting much with BS 3. Quite frankly a LMBT or Demolisher with heavy bolters is cheaper, and more effective against normal infantry, MEQ's, AND vehicles. One might be a good idea, but 3 is too many.

Also, your veterans are great but they die just as easily. Consider getting an infantry platoon and slimming down on the points. It will also give you some people for your command squad to... well, command. Medics are also great for HQ squads. Feel no Pain is a steal at 30 points, especially for one of your most important squads.

Lastly, heavy bolter sponsons. They look cool. But there's no way you'll ever use them in the game. The vendettas are the cheapest, best anti-tank in the galaxy. They won't be wasting their shots on infantry. It also doesn't help that they're offensive weapons, AND have to shoot at the same target as the lascannons.

In short, diversify your heavy support, take out some vets for normal guardsmen, and take out your heavy bolters. I think these are the big things, but other than that it's a very good list. If you disagree, it's your list not mine Do as you see fit ;D
Old 22 Jun 2010, 04:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I like the H.Bolters for flexibility when facing hordes. Las/Melta is great and all, but weight of fire helps sometimes.

On that note, I can't see him breaking any IP rules, he doesn't have any individual points costs outlined that I can see. :P

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2010, 04:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

Ah, I may be mistaken then. I thought unit costs in general were against the rules. Nevermind, then!
Old 22 Jun 2010, 05:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Hell hounds/bane wolves would be better for troop killing than punishers. Punishers are the suck balls of the IG dex. If you cannot guess why, then there is something wrong.

Especially in this list.

Also, from a freindly aspect, if you did that, you wouldn't have AV 14 (but you'd have more armor units overall... )
Old 22 Jun 2010, 09:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie
Hell hounds/bane wolves would be better for troop killing than punishers. Punishers are the suck balls of the IG dex. If you cannot guess why, then there is something wrong.

Especially in this list.

Also, from a freindly aspect, if you did that, you wouldn't have AV 14 (but you'd have more armor units overall... )
Except for the fact that he's already used all his fast attack choices for Vendettas so there's no room for hellhounds or their ilk.

If you want to dramatically improve a punisher, add Knight Commander Pask (although it only works for one tank). Otherwise, get some Russ tanks with large blast templates (standard Russ is great for taking on infantry).
Old 22 Jun 2010, 11:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Punishers are garbage! They seem good with the volume of shots but they aren't going to hurt anything. LRBT is your best choice for AI, and it's cheaper too.

I also agree about the melta overkill. Plasma is a much better alternative. You only need maybe 2 squads with meltaguns. Specially since they're in such fast vehicles, it's quite easy to get to the rear armor with a Vendetta. The plasmaguns offer a much better range and more shots to take down anything on the board.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2010, 17:07   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the suggestions, and after taking in the feedback, here is a reworked list:

HQ: Company Command Squad
Master of Ordnance, Two Heavy Bolter Teams. (100)

Elites: Guardsman Marbo. (65)

Troops: Veterans
Three Plasma Guns. (115) (Deploys in Vendetta)

Veterans

Veterans

Veterans

Fast Attack: Vendetta Squadron
Two Vendettas, both with Heavy Bolter Sponsons. (280)

Vendetta

Vendetta

Heavy Support: Leman Russ Battle Tank
Plasma Cannons. (190)

Leman Russ Battle Tank
Plasma Cannons. (190)

Leman Russ Battle Tank
Plasma Cannons. (190)

I decided I might as well let the the Company Command just serve as extra fire support, the heavy bolters and Master of Ordnance packing a fair punch. I expect they will die extremely quickly though but at 100 points, I don't mind if they're drawing fire away from other things.
I've played against Guardsman Marbo, and he is a steal at his points cost. At the very least, he is a one shot, extremely accurate demo charge, ideal for taking out units that have just arrived via deep strike or infantry squads hiding at the back of the table. He gives a great psychological edge, people wondering if he will show up and wipe out densely packed units.
I changed most of the Veterans meltaguns to plasma as the Vendettas and one melta unit probably provide enough anti-armour. I'm keeping the Heavy Bolters on the Vendettas because I like the flexibility, and the points cost is fairly cheap.
The Leman Russ Punishers are swapped for standard battle tanks due to the derision for Punishers. Are the Plasma Cannons the right option for sponsons? They add more blast templates for anti-infantry but are very expensive.
Any comments welcome.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 17:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

not exactly sure but I think you can only stick a single heavy weapon in a command squad

could easily be wrong though
-Better advise has never been spoken. It answers most rules questions we are forced to answer.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2010, 17:53   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

"replace two other veterans with a veterans weapon team armed with one of the following"

Seems to me nothing prohibits you from taking two.