Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Geno Five-Two Chiliad, 102nd 'Holocaust', or Airborne 69th 'Cataclysm'
Old 10 Nov 2009, 19:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Geno Five-Two Chiliad, 102nd 'Holocaust', or Airborne 69th 'Cataclysm'

So I've been going through a lot of planning stages for where my next army goes. I've been creating Marine and IG lists, as my plan is to start building up an Apocalypse sized Imperium force. The 777th Expeditionary Fleet. The Fleet will use the fluff cop out of having been lost to a warp storm beyond the Eastern Fringe near the end of the Great Crusade, and recently re-emerged into the materium from the warp to find 10,000 years passed and the Emperor dead. It's going to be a mix of Emperor's Children exiles and Geno Five-Two Chiliad soliders. The Emperor's Children are those who were lost before the Legion turned to chaos and subsequently have reformed into a Chapter of their own still loyal to the Emperor if not the Imperium (renegade because they still are actively trying to spread the Imperial Truth and see the Ecclesiarchy as heretical and have been declared Excommunicate Traitoris as a result). The Geno-Five Two were in a subordinate position to the Astartes, as part of the Expeditionary Fleet, but will have their own command structure and individual companies. The Army will be mostly clad in similar colors now that it's been recast, with the Emperor's Children having renounced their former Legion in disgust for it's betrayal. Color scheme will be the way you see the Marine here, solely because I like the way it looks, but in fluff it's going to be that they've clad themselves in black in mourning for the Emperor. I'm well aware its not a novel color scheme and shows up like the Black Legion, Black Templars, and standard Commissar colors, but the reality is I don't care... I like the way it looks, it's always been one of my favorite color combinations, and I think it'll look damn striking on the table when I'm done with it if my painting skills are adequate to the task. The only change is that instead of the gold Imperial Aquila, it's going to be done in a firebird/phoenix pattern, representative of their attempt to restore the Imperium to it's original purpose and make the Emperor's will rise from the ashes of the dogmatic superstition it's devolved into.

Enough of my poor excuse for fluff writing though, the reality is the whole thing is my feeble attempt to cobble together reasons justifying a force using the models I really love from the Marines & IG sets in a color scheme I like who are fighting for science and reason because that just what I'd want. I know it's not the most novel or inspiring story line and it borrows heavily from already established GW fluff and has some potential problems, but it works enough for me. So, now on to some particulars.

The long and short is that the Apocalypse force will down the line when I'm done with it have the ability to be fielded as individual 2,000 point detachments, or piled in together to become a larger Apocalypse force still with it's own individual attachments (this is because 2k is pretty much the standard point range my group tends to play at).

Anyway, I've figured out what I'm going to field and collect down the line, and I've been going back and forth between the Marines and IG, but I've really settled on the IG as the first place to start now, I just like the Valkyrie model too much. I've got two lists, and at this point I'm satisfied with how they are arranged for how I want them to work, it's just going to be a matter of getting them and putting them together now. Eventually I'll have both, but I'm going to start with one of these IG lists, and then pick up the start of a Space Marine list second, before I get back to picking up the second IG list.

Anyway, without further ado, let me link those lists in the next couple of posts, and see what you guys think in terms of which one I should start with. I'm leaning towards the first one, but I can see the second one possibly performing better. I'm not keen on changing them too much, but if you had to choose between one of the two, which would you pick up and why?
Nezalhualixtlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2009, 19:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Geno Five-Two Chiliad, 102nd 'Holocaust', or Airborne 69th 'Cataclysm'

Geno Five-Two Chiliad 102nd 'Holocaust' Company

Uses Veterans to represent the elite gene-bred Five-Two, with Airborne Vendetta transports, and a battery of Leman Russ Executioners as would be frequently seen in Great Crusade era regiments. Will be using the Daemonhunter Inquisitor model as Hetman Valcronde, the Cadian Kasrkin models to be the Geno Five-Two troopers with Elysian Grav-Chutes modeled on, the Valkyrie converted to be a Vendetta, and the Leman Russ w/ Executioner Turrets. Plans are to incorporate battery packs and black light LEDs into the models, and use some Phosphorescent Glow Paints on just the areas that should be glowing from either plasma, or power weapon stuff. I like the way the plasma areas look on the Marines plasma weaponry in DoWII, rather than the flat metal areas that you see in a lot of GWs plasma weaponry painting. I know I could use regular paint to acheive a lighted looking effect, but my painting skills aren't superb, and I thought it could could look kind of unique.

[armylist]61.126[/armylist]
Old 10 Nov 2009, 19:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Geno Five-Two Chiliad, 102nd 'Holocaust', or Airborne 69th 'Cataclysm'

Geno Five-Two Chiliad Airborne 69th 'Cataclysm' Company

Again, uses Veterans to represent the elite gene-bred Five-Two, with Airborne Vendetta & Valkyrie transports. Will be using the Cadian Command Officer model as the Hetman, modeled with the Power Fist, the Cadian Kasrkin models to be the Geno Five-Two troopers with Elysian Grav-Chutes modeled on, the Valkyrie, plus those that need to be, converted to be a Vendettas.

Plans again would be to incorporate battery packs and black light LEDs into the models, and use some Phosphorescent Glow Paints on just the areas that should be glowing from either plasma, or power weapon stuff.

[armylist]61.366[/armylist]
Old 10 Nov 2009, 20:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmm. Those are both pretty solid lists. The first seems a lot more appropriate for apocalypse games, as long as the Marine contingent has a considerable amount more of troops.

I think you would have more fun playing with the second list, in a conventional sense.
With the first list, I think games will revolve around you being unable to capture objectives once your opponent realizes you have so little troops. As a result, I could see a lot of games developing into you just systematically destroying unit after unit with the Executioners.

You have your veterans in the first list loaded up as a "one hit wonder" unit. With the 3 meltaguns, they're great to be plonked behind an enemy landraider/TEQ, but after that job is complete they're probably dead meat, leaving you no real workhorse troops. I believe it's the troops that really do all the work in the guard, so I would go for the first list, but try to squeeze more men in!
Old 10 Nov 2009, 22:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, the Marine lists are loaded up with Troop options for the most part:
2nd Company
3rd Company
4th Company
5th Company

The 2nd Company is the Marine list I'll be building second. Each company has its own discreet Chapter tactics from either the Chapter master or various Captains leading them, and if fielded in Apocalyspe games they'd retain their own and the effects of one would not spill over into the other Companies. I would also not apply the Vulkan "counts as" effect from the 2nd Company into any of the other companies or allied IG, that's just ultra cheesy in my book, and I don't care if the wording technically would let me do it, I won't do it. If I want each Company to retain it's individuality in terms of tactics, I need to be firmly committed to keeping them distinct and separate, almost like they were separate chapters, but at the very least as distinct and discreet detachments. It should give me a characterful array of options in terms of what I'm fielding, plus a very modular Apocalypse army to choose from assuming point values in multiples of 2k.

Anyway, back to the IG, the 102nd list with the Executioners I'm not 100% sure about due to it's low troop count. The only thing that makes me think it'll be ok is that I've enough Tyranids at this point that I've fielded true Nidzilla lists successfully in 5th, even with fairly bare bones units of gaunts to just capture while the big guys did their work, and I've been able to do well with them. I realize this is a bit different, but I think I could employ some similar strategy to make this function well, particularly that the Vendettas could give them way better mobility than they would otherwise have foot slogging around. The other option I was toying with was 2x Plasmaguns instead of the 3x Meltas in the squad, but I opted for the Meltas for some weaponry difference, I figure there's enough plasma getting tossed out by those Executioners to handle what it'll be good for, there's not as much reason to put the few troops I have at risk of dying to "gets hot" foul ups.

I think the fully Airborn 69th list could be a lot of fun, and probably would leave me with more options, but I just really like the Leman Russ models, and think the Executioner turret really looks cool on them which is why I'm leaning towards that... that and it's a low model count army, after putting together the end of my Apoc Endless Swarm Tyranid (60x Gaunts & 60x Hormagaunts) that's appealing.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 21:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

personaly i dont think people will respect you for using halocaust in the name. just a tip
you might upsett people. cataclysm if cool tho ^-^
field marshel R Ironballs is offline   Reply With Quote