Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Advice on guard list - starting guard
Old 01 Nov 2009, 18:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Advice on guard list - starting guard

Hi all,

I'm well on my way with my Grey Knight army now, and have been exploring possibilities with another army.

I've decided on guard, they just seem like a really cool army to play and fun.

However, I'm unsure where to go from here, whether it be by buying loads of infantry or TANKS.

My opponents are:

Semi-competitive eldar (Fire element, i.e. agressive), a range of models
Nurgle guard (T4 everything), mainly infantry
Slanesshi chaos, mainly infantry with a LR, defiler and pred
Tau (Earth element, i.e. sit back and shoot)
Soon to be very competitive Mech Eldar (Fire/Air i.e. Mobile agressive)
Necrons.

So, I had some thoughts on what sort of list I could make. I would like to have the triple melta/chimera vets, and a massive combined squad in there, and Leman Russ, but I don't really have any ideas what to get.

I'm not looking to absolutely destroy my opponents list, but I would like the list to be competitive.

Thanks in advance
Old 03 Dec 2009, 01:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Advice on guard list - starting guard

I say go with platoons instead of veterans and here is why.

Basic vet squad with 3 meltas will hit you for 100 pts while a command platoon would hit you for 70 pts. For 30 pts less you're getting one more melta gun at the same hit ratio of two. Vet squad is 2/3 and com plat is 2/4 hit ratio . Now yes you'll have to spend 100 points atleast for 20 more men. But you'll also get more options to play with as well. In my opinion platoons is too good to over look.

I for one would like to flood the feild with chimera love and have each squad with a rocket launcher and have lascannon teams spread across the battle feild. I think two lemon yesses is way more than enough. Any more than two will make your lemonade too sour. My fav is the origional lemon that stood the test of time. Your troops provide enough direct fire well your lemons provide splash damage with lemonade.

I would also suggest the time honered hellcat. It's excellant against troops in cover. I think the basic hellcat is good enough due to the melta love you'll be spreading. The hellcat will destroy 4+ men like no tommorrow.
Old 03 Dec 2009, 01:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Quote:
Now yes you'll have to spend 100 points atleast for 20 more men
to me this implies that if you have just vets as troops, you dont have to take a command squad? if you dont take one, who leads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2009, 02:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I thought a command squad was common sense. I was talking about command platoons for troops and not the command squad. I for one looking at a command squad with 4 meltas hitting 90 points which is cheaper and more accurate than the veteran squad. If you play guard you should throw everyone and the bathroom sink at everyone. I mean for troops 1 command platoon with 4 meltas a chimera with 20 guardsmen with 2 rocketlaunchers and 2 grenade launchers will hit you for 265 points for 25 men with 6 str 8, 5 str 6, 1 heavy flamer( chimera), 2 str 4, and 17 str 3(don't forget 2 blast templates) shots. For the points you're getting a lot of men with a lot of fire power.
Old 03 Dec 2009, 02:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

my bad, confused company command with platoon comand.

you guard have to much command
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote