Advisor: Astropath
Advisor: Bodyguard x2
Chimera, Multi-Laser

-- Troops -----------------------------------
80 Penal Legion Squad
80 Penal Legion Squad
195 Veteran Squad, 3 Meltaguns, Grenadiers, Chimera, Multi-Laser
195 Veteran Squad, 3 Meltaguns, Grenadiers, Chimera, Multi-Laser
210 Veteran Squad, Sergant w/ Plasma Pistol, 3 Plasmaguns, Grenadiers, Chimera w/ Multi-Laser
210 Veteran Squad, Sergant w/ Plasma Pistol, 3 Plasmaguns, Grenadiers, Chimera w/ Multi-Laser

-- Fast Attack -------------------------------
126 Devil Dog, Searchlight, Smoke Launchers
51 Sentinel, Lascannon, Searchlight
51 Sentinel, Lascannon, Searchlight

-- Heavy Support -----------------------------------
150 Leman Russ Battle Tank
150 Leman Russ Battle Tank

The above list is something I clobbered together as my first attempt to make a Guard List using the new codex. It's geared to fit the models I have and think about making. The theme is more or less late medieval templars with guns, so I used Veterans to go as the templars and the Penal Legionnares to go as fanatic loons la WHFB Flagellants. The latter are pretty much the only one I acctually have the models finished with(and a whole bunch), so I'd really like to have as many of those as reasonable. I know they might not be the greatest, but I would like to be able to make them work. If this is totally impossible, I guess they could work as some really scruffy-looking conscripts.

If you think the veterans would be better off as an infantry platoon this can work. But they have to have Carapace armour. Again, models.

The point of the list is to be fun to play. I like mobility and adaptability, so I don't want a gunline. Any tips and tricks you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2009, 12:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy
Default Re: Mechanized Veteran list w/ Penal Legionnares - 1750

hey. im not sure grenadiers is the way to go for the melta gun teams. i would recomend maybe demo instead. melta gun teams are usually one-trick ponies for guard anyway, so why not get extra tank killer power with it? you can still use the legionares as meat shields and the desired effect is still there. or just nix the melta squads completely and go for two more plasma gun teams and drop a sentinel (scout i hope)to balance the point cost.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2009, 13:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The grenadier thing is more of a model thing, the models I have/are building could probably not get away with having a 5+ save. And who knows, every once in a while that 4+ save might be the diffrence between shooting that extra turn.

About replacing the meltas with plasmaguns, wouldn't that leave me horribly weak in the AT department?
Old 10 Aug 2009, 15:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Hoarday

It definately would. Honestly, plasmaguns are far too expeninsive in 5th edition especially considering they're just as likely to kill your own troops as they've always been. I take all meltas in my mech lists. You've got the armour of a tank to protect your close ranged infantry squishiness. I agree on going with demolitions if you're going to take any of the veteran upgrades though seeing as the carapace armour becomes a bit redundant when you can't be shot at in the first place. If it's part of your theme though, go for it. You might want to consider adding some converted roughriders as well to fit the theme. I think your command squad is a bit on the grossly expensive side as well. The banner, while I suppose fluffy, won't come into use much when everything is mounted in a tank and not taking leadership tests, same thing with the medic.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 17:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
plasmaguns are far too expeninsive in 5th edition especially considering they're just as likely to kill your own troops as they've always been.
I thought they removed the "Get's Hot on a 1-2 if Rapid Firing" rule, so wouldn't these guys be more survivable nowdays? Albeit marginally, and I agree that they're expensive on the whole. But, well, if they belong anywhere in a guards list I reckon it's on the Veterans, since their BS4 makes those 15 points better invested?

Also, I face a lot of Plauge Marines, so connecting with as many shots as possible with AP2 is a big factor. I know the melta kills as effectivly per shot, but Plasmaguns get twice as many.

Quote:
I agree on going with demolitions if you're going to take any of the veteran upgrades though seeing as the carapace armour becomes a bit redundant when you can't be shot at in the first place.
Yeah, I realize that the grenadiers thing might not be the best thing ever, but as I said it's more of a model thing than gameplay. Although I like the thought of giving them at least some bit of survivability when their tank gets blown up.

Quote:
If it's part of your theme though, go for it. You might want to consider adding some converted roughriders as well to fit the theme.
Yeah, I have a half-done 10-man strong rough rider squad in the works. Until I have the model, they're probably replacing the Devil Dog in this list. I'll see how that works out.

Quote:
I think your command squad is a bit on the grossly expensive side as well. The banner, while I suppose fluffy, won't come into use much when everything is mounted in a tank and not taking leadership tests, same thing with the medic.
The standard was more for the +1 to combat results. I wanted to try to make a CC-oriented Command Squad, but I agree, it's very expensive. I'm somewhat at a loss on what to do with the Command Squad entry, acctually. While it does have a lot of awsome options, I'm considering just letting the Commander keep his CCW and laspistol and give his squad four meltaguns and a chimera. But that doesn't seem very entertaining, or open very many conversion possibilities. I'm torn.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 17:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Double post, sorry.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 18:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel
The grenadier thing is more of a model thing, the models I have/are building could probably not get away with having a 5+ save. And who knows, every once in a while that 4+ save might be the diffrence between shooting that extra turn.
roger. noted. cover does the same thing, but i can appreciate a fluffy army. more power to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel
About replacing the meltas with plasmaguns, wouldn't that leave me horribly weak in the AT department?
well, lets see, 2 battle tanks, a melta hellhound and 1 or 2 lascnnoning sentinels (which again are only useful if they are scout)? i think you are fairly safe. let the armor handle armor and leave the troops to everything else.

and im pretty sure get's hot only happens on the roll of an one.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 01:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorcyca
well, lets see, 2 battle tanks, a melta hellhound and 1 or 2 lascnnoning sentinels (which again are only useful if they are scout)? i think you are fairly safe. let the armor handle armor and leave the troops to everything else.
Hm, interesting to get two differing opinions on this issue. I certainly would prefer if all-plasmaguns were workable. Fortunately this is one of those things that I can test out, without changing much, since it's only a 30 point difference between the current list and one with all-plasma, and I can easily cut down on the HQ.

Edit: Oh, and the Sentinels are for Scouting, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorcyca
and im pretty sure get's hot only happens on the roll of an one.
In 4th I know that if you rapid-fired a Gets Hot-weapon it overheated on any rolls of 1 or 2. Which was super-wierd, because it meant that BS5 that rolled 2s both hit and overheated at once. As far as I know they dropped it, for obvious reasons.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 09:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

do let me know how it goes, im planning on doing a mech list here soon. but i dont have anyone i can play for now

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.