Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1000 points Imperial Guard!
Old 23 May 2009, 15:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 1000 points Imperial Guard!

Hey-ho Tau Online, here's my experimental Guard list. It features all the contents of the Cadian Battleforce, as well as some other goodies. Please review.

HQ:
Company Command Squad
members: Company Commander, 2 Veterans, 1 Veteran Weapons Team, 1 master of ordinance
weapons: 1 Boltgun, 5 close-combat weapons, 2 Lasguns, 1 Lascannon, frag grenades, refractor field (commander)

Elite:
Psyker Battle squad (1 overseer and 4 guys)
*dedicated Transport: Chimera APC
weapons: 2 Heavy Bolters

Troops:
Platoon Command Squad (1 Platoon Commander, 4 Guardsmen)
weapons: 1 Boltgun, 4 grenade launchers

Infantry Squad (9 Guardsmen, 1 Sergeant, 1 Heavy Weapons Team)
weapons: 1 laspistol, 6 lasguns, 10 close combat weapons, 1 grenade launcher, 1 mortar

weapons: 1 laspistol, 6 lasguns, 10 close combat weapons, 1 grenade launcher, 1 mortar

Veteran Squad (9 Veterans, 1 Sergeant)
weapons: 1 laspistol, 6 Lasguns 10 close combat weapons, 3 plasma guns, frag and krak grenades
wargear: grenadiers

Fast Attack:
Scout Sentinel
Weapon: Lascannon, Hunter-Killer Missile

Scout Sentinel
Weapons: Lascannon, Hunter-Killer Missile

Valkyrie Assault Carrier
weapons: Multi-laser, 2 hellstrike missiles, 2 Heavy Bolters (sponsons)

Heavy Support:

Leman Russ Executioner
weapons: Executioner Plasma cannon, 2 Plasma Cannons (sponsons), Heavy Stubber

Total: 1004 points
(46 models, 2 walkers, 2 tanks)

C&C appreciated
-Silver
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 17:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 1000 points Imperial Guard!

Nice looking list there for 1004 pts

Remember that you cant go over the set point limit, unless your opponent agrees on it.
You could save the last points by taking away the heavy stubber on the Leman Russ.

Anyhow the list.
Looking good as noted, but I would acctually go for MRP on the Valkyrie instead of Grenadiers on the Veterans.
I dont know who your mounting in the Valk, but I would mount the Veterans there.
So for example move your valk close to an enemy unit on the flank, unload the veterans. Valk shoots with all it has, which is alot!
Then what remains your Veterans will take out for sure with its 6 plasma shots + lasguns.

The Executioner is a really expensive tank to field in 1000 pts. But it could work out fine acctually.

It's just a game... have fun!
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 20:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I actually took the Executioner because I thought it was the only "heavy" tank that could fire all its weapon due to lack or idrinance weapons until I came across the lumbering Behemoth rule...so in this case, a regular Russ would do fine (with the Plasma sponsons against terminators)

Yes, you are right the Veterans are the unit that the valkyrie will transport. I think their 4+ saves will give them that extra survivability against small arms fire - meaning they'll last at least one more turn after disembarking and that means 6 more plasma shots at the enemy! ;D

Also, I have some questions:

1) can the Valkyrie move and fire all its weapons or only one S8 weapon?
2) Is it a good idea to give my psykers a chimera to ride in for increased threat range and immunity to smallarms fire?
3) Is it a good idea to replace the grenade launchers of the Platoon command squad with sniper rifles?
4) Is it a good idea to take Ogryns in 1000 point games? If yes, should they remain behind as a protection against infiltrators and deepstrikers or is it mandatory to mount them in a chimera?

Cheers,
-Silver
Old 24 May 2009, 01:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hey all,

I've updated the list by replacing the Executioner with a Leman Russ Eradicator - a baby that drops a pie plate the equivalent of a Railgun Submunition, but which ignores cover - and with so much coversaves in 5th edition (in buildings, if LoS is partially blocked, if I'm firing at a unit screened by another unit etc.) this will make the weapon deadly against non MEQs (charging orks, hiding eldar, firewarriors boasting their 4+ armor, gaunt hordes, infiltrating genestealers, 2+ coversave eldar pathfinders etc.). This gives me lots or variety and the dual plasma cannons are good enough against MEQs and TEQs alike.

The Lascannon in the Command squad has been replaced with a Missile Launcher and a Grenade launcher, thus totaling the grenade launchers in my army to a staggering 7! The Missile launcher's small blast will make it multi-purpose and it can thus be effective if the squad fires at infantry along with the other grenade launcher.

So with the saved thirty points I squeezed in a Ratling squad of 3 and replaced the Bolters with laspistols to not cross the 1000 point limit.
These changes haven't been incorporated to the list posted above, because I thought these few changes can be displayed separately here, in this post.

Cheers,
-Silver
[hr]

Sorry for the triple post, but here's the latest incarnation of my armylist. I've removed the Carapace armor upgrade for the veterans, replaced their triple plasma with triple grenade launchers (make that 10 launchers in the army!) and removed the two hunter-killer missiles from the sentinels ...and included a 6 man special weapons squad with 1 melta, 1 plasma gun and 1 detonation charge to mount the Valkyrie instead of those guys. This payload is more effective, as either squad wouldn't have survived for long anyway, but this one will do much more damage with the charge. Yes they're a kamikaze one-trick pony, but hell they will go down in a tremendous explosion!

HQ: 100p.
Company Command Squad
members: Company Commander, 2 Veterans, 1 Veteran Weapons Team, 1 Master of Ordinance
weapons: 1 laspistol, 5 close-combat weapons, 1 lasgun, 1 grenade launcher, 1 Missile launcher, frag grenades, refractor field (commander)

Elite: 145p.
Psyker Battle squad (4 psykers, 1 overseer)
weapons: laspistols, close-combat weapons
*dedicated Transport: Chimera APC
weapons: 2 heavy bolters

Ratling Squad (3 Ratlings)
weapons: 3 sniper rifles, 3 laspistols

Troops: 335p.
Platoon Command Squad (1 Platoon Commander, 4 Guardsmen)
weapons: 1 laspistol, 5 close-combat weapons, 4 grenade launchers

weapons: 1 laspistol, 6 lasguns, 10 close-combat weapons, 1 grenade launcher, 1 mortar

weapons: 1 laspistol, 6 lasguns, 10 close-combat weapons, 1 grenade launcher, 1 mortar

Special Weapons Squad (6 Guardsmen)
weapons: 3 Lasguns, 6 close-combat weapons, 1 plasma gun, 1 melta, 1 demolition charge

Veteran Squad (9 Veterans, 1 Sergeant)
weapons: 1 laspistol, 6 lasguns, 10 close-combat weapons, 3 grenade launchers, frag and krak grenades

Fast Attack: 210p.
Scout Sentinel
weapon: Lascannon

Scout Sentinel
weapons: Lascannon

Valkyrie Assault Carrier
weapons: Multi-laser, 2 hellstrike missiles, 2 heavy bolters (sponsons)
wargear: Searchlight, extra armor

Heavy Support: 210p.
Leman Russ Eradicator ''Rolling Thunder''
weapons: Eradicator nova cannon, heavy bolter, 2 plasma cannons (sponsons), heavy stubber

Total: 1000 points
(55 models, 2 walkers, 2 tanks)

Edit by Aunny - Double Post is one thing, but Triple? Hit the modify button in the future please
Old 17 Jun 2009, 16:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I like the use of the special weapons team in the vakyrie

Please correct me with my spelling! (I know it's terrible)
gumgum921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2009, 19:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumgum921
I like the use of the special weapons team in the vakyrie
Yup. The only other cargo a Valkyrie should carry is a squad of veterans with 3 meltas for anti-tank duty...preferably grenadiers, as having them last for more than just the turn they disembark is required for them to make their points back. But they're a lot costlier than the special weapons team - which is basically my "Leeroy Jenkins" suicidal squad who will die in a glorious detonation, hopefully taking as many enemies with them as possible. Of course the chances of the demolition charge backfiring on my own squad are high, but the 6 man special weapons squad is really the most expendable unit to carry such a charge.