Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Idea - Necron Tomb Spectre
Old 19 Mar 2010, 10:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Idea - Necron Tomb Spectre

A variant of the Tomb Spyder designed for pure combat, the ponderous Tomb Spectres were tasked with guarding the innermost sanctums of Tomb Worlds, ensuring that none of the secrets of the C'tan or the Necron Lords would be exposed to intruders. With the Necrons ascendant once more, the Tomb Spectres have begun appearing on the battlefield, demolishing the opposition with either wicked sets of claws or the destructive Particle Agitator.

Tomb Spectre 90 Points/Model

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]WS[/td][td]BS[/td][td]S[/td][td]T[/td][td]W[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][td]Ld[/td][td]Sv[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Tomb Spectre[/td][td]5[/td][td]4[/td][td]7[/td][td]6[/td][td]3[/td][td]2[/td][td]3[/td][td]10[/td][td]3+[/td][/tr]
[/table]

[table][tr][td]Unit Composition:
[/td]

[td]Wargear:
  • 2 sets of claws
  • Lightning Field
[/td]

[td]Options:
  • Both sets of claws may be replaced with a Particle Agitator (counts as Gauss Flux Arc) for 30 points. This will reduce the Spectre's number of attacks by 1.
  • The Lightning Field may be replaced with a Phase Shifter for 10 points.
[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td] Unit Type:
  • Monstrous Creature
[/td]

[td]Special Rules:
  • Hover (see the Tomb Spyder entry)
  • Fearless
  • Relentless
[/td]

[td][/td][/tr]
[/table]

One of the problems I find about the current Necron codex, outdated as it is, is the lack of heavy anti-infantry options, given the psychotic gap between the humble Destroyer and the expensive Monolith. And also how everyone seems to be able to gain entry into Necron tombs so easily. But fluff semantics aside, I liked the concept of the Tomb Spyder and thought I'd expand on that to provide a heavy duty variant that can dish out anti-infantry support on a melee or ranged basis, without delving into the imprecision of blast templates (and it helps the Necron image of otherworldly weaponry).

My main doubts with the stats right now is the WS, BS and points cost. What do you guys feel? Would this be a unit you would field in your armies? Is it cheesy? Broken? Feedback, as always, is welcome and appreciated.
Tetrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2010, 17:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Idea - Necron Tomb Spectre

I'm not up on other monstrous creatures, Tomb Spyder is the only one I've used, so I can't make comparisons there. I do like the concept but it needs some work. The particle agitator is a cool idea but I think the Spyder should remain BS2 if you're going to give that as a weapon option at the cost you have listed. Optionally, leave the Spyder as BS4 but increase the particle agitator cost. Fluff wise I'd say leave the Spyder at BS2. I see it being the same as any other Tomb Spyder but being equipped more offensively, so I see stats reflecting that. With that I'd say bring T back down to 6. I can see WS at a 4 but probably not a 5.

Lightning field is sort of bleh and I couldn't see anyone keeping it over getting a 4+ invulnerable for 10pts. Lightning fields only work when you suffer unsaved wounds and Spyders are monstrous and can't join units, which is where a lightning field becomes great, when you have ablative wounds like Scarabs that trigger the field. At best a Spyder will only fire off the field twice before it's dead. I say just give the option to buy the phase shifter but I see that being more around 15-20pts. A 3+/4+ on a monstrous creature with W3 is pretty significant, especially at the current prices you have.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 04:02   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the feedback.

The reason I gave it BS4 initially was since I felt the Spectre would be given more advanced optics, due to it being built for combat. But the price issue is noted. What about BS3, WS4 and a base cost of 100, along with 40 or 50 for the Particle Agitator?

The issue you pointed out with the Lightning Field wasn't something I considered during the write-up, thanks for that. What if the Field was replaced with a Phylactery, and the Phase Shifter cost bumped up to 15?
Tetrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2010, 12:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think the costs you're not talking about are more reasonable. For a reasonable price tag (meaning not under priced), you can have a shooty and assaulty Spyder at the same time or for cheaper you could just smash things.

Phylactery wouldn't work because a Spyder is not considered a Necron and it's the Necrons that WBB and in turn could stand up with more wounds. If you want to use an existing item then consider gaze of flame, nightmare shroud or solar pulse since those are all relevant and useful for an assault/short ranged shooty unit.