Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mission Sub-plots
Old 04 Mar 2009, 20:03   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Mission Sub-plots

Sub-plots may be added to any standard Scenario. Both players roll a D6 on the Sub-plot table before rolling for deployment. Using Sub-plots adds a little more variation to the scenario, as well as using slightly different victory conditions.

The Sub-plot objective is referred to as the Secondary Objective from here on in. The 'Scenario' Objective is the Primary Objective.

1 - Blood Bath:
Your mission is simple - find your enemies and grind them into dust! Do not rest until the battlefield is a charnal house of slain enemies! Kill them all!
At the end of the battle, use Victory Points to calculate whether the Blood Bath is successful; if you earn more Victory Points than your opponent, you complete your Secondary Objective.

2 - Forward Base:
High command needs to secure strategic locations as part of a larger battle plan. Your forces are close to one of the designated targets, and as such has requested you to take and hold the location.
Place down an additional objective marker. The objective must be placed within a terrain feature if possible, such as a building or on top of a hill, but may not be placed in either player's deployment zone (note: you may re-arrange the terrain a little so make it easier). If you hold this Objective at the end of the game, you complete your Secondary Objective.

3 - Retrieval Operation:
Valuable equipment, such as experimental weaponry, secure data-pods or archeotech, have been lost on the battlefield. Standing orders are to retrieve this equipment, and your observers have located it on the battlefield. You must retrieve the equipment!
Place an additional objective token down on the table. Unlike normal objectives, this can be 'collected' by any unit save Monstrous Creatures or vehicles by moving a model into contact with it. Once collected, the unit carries the objective until they fall back or are destroyed. Units carrying the objective must move as Infantry when carrying the objective, due to its bulk. If the model carrying the objective is killed, but the squad is not broken or lost, another model automatically picks up the objective.
If you hold the objective at the end of the game, you win your Secondary Objective.

4 - Assassination:
Enemy forces have deployed key command units in this area. If they could be removed, it would make it difficult for the enemy to co-ordinate their operations in the region. They must be eliminated at all costs!
Your mission is simple; destroy all enemy HQ units (not including Bodyguards, Retinues, Command Squads, etc) to win your Secondary Objective.

5 - Breakthrough:
The enemy have positioned themselves between you and a vital objective. Additional forces are required to help secure it; you are to send all you can.
You must move a Scoring unit that is over half strength, or two Scoring units below half strength, off the board via your opponent's table edge to win this Secondary Objective. This must be a standard move or Run action; you cannot Turbo Boost, or use Assault Phase movement to leave the table.
Armies with the Breakthrough objective may not Deep Strike, Infiltrate or Outflank.

6 - Down, but not Out:
War has not been kind. Your forces have taken a heavy beating, but despite this you are still required to do your duty.
Roll a D6 for each squad in your army. On a roll of 1, they take D6 wounds (armour saves allowed).
To win your Secondary Objective, simply win the battle; if you complete your Primary Objective, your Secondary Objective also succeeds.

Victory Conditions:
At the end of the battle, consult the following table:

Primary & Secondary Objective Complete:
Glorious Victory!
You have crushed all before you! Your army is truly a force to be reckoned with! Your enemies shall whisper your name with fear, and your superiors shall flood praise upon you for this day's work!

Primary Objective Complete:
Solid Victory:
Your skill in battle is indeed impressive. Whilst your secondary objectives eluded you, you remained fixed on your goal and achieved the most important mission presented to you. Your deeds today shall be remembered.

Secondary Objective Complete:
Moral Victory:
The enemy were stronger, but their success was paid for in blood. You stood defiant against a superior foe, claiming a victory where lesser men would have been crushed utterly. If nothing else, you have ensured those that come after you will have an easier time of repelling the foe.

No Objectives Complete:
Crushing Defeat:
This is a dark day for your people. Your failure is an embarassment to your people, your army is crushed and scattered, and the enemy has made significant gains against us. Men will mutter of your incompetence behind your back; it would have been better for you to have died rather than return in shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2009, 20:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: Mission Sub-plots

My Battlefleet Gothic sense is tingling!

I like these, and I will actually try and use them =P
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2009, 20:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Very nice, I might use them too.
Old 09 Mar 2009, 20:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to D Black

I may try them too

oh and a suggestion if you get a secondary but primary's a draw you shoud count it as a primary (no secondary "points")

Quote from: Wargamer

Metal fans are allowed to use stereotyped generalisations of other types of music. Why? Because the "avatar" of Rap and similar music is a binged up black guy who holds his gun in such a way as he will probably shoot his own foot off in a gunfight. The avatar of Metal is a bearded, unwashed Scandinavian guy who kills you, your family, your town, your country and the neighbouring country because there isn't much else to do up in the snowy fjords of Vikingland.
D Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2009, 21:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

On break through whats to stop a tau player deepstriking a battlesuit on the edge (risky i know) then using the assault move to get out of there
Old 09 Mar 2009, 21:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

tried them- rolled randomly and got Breakthrough for my opponent and Retrieval operation- The Breakthrough is too easy to accomplish (he just jetted off the board) but Retrieval was really fun.
Old 09 Mar 2009, 22:19   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Breakthrough has been edited; you now cannot Deep Strike, Infiltrate or Outflank in a Breakthrough.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 10 Mar 2009, 07:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Now its more of a challenge i think units being able to turbo boost off the edge is good as then you have to be careful about what enemies you kill first. >
Old 10 Mar 2009, 13:43   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Shavera
Now its more of a challenge i think units being able to turbo boost off the edge is good as then you have to be careful about what enemies you kill first. >
I've snipped that off as well; you have to make a standard move, or a run action to leave the board. This also stops the likes of Eldar Jetbikes from moving 12", then 'jinking' 6" in the Assault Phase to leave the board.

Quote:
Old 10 Mar 2009, 16:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Oh well. I still love the missions and hope to find a game rdown at GW willing to play them ;D