Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Redux 5th Generation
Old 26 Nov 2008, 00:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Tau Redux 5th Generation

So, after a long time reading all the posts of how to remake the Tau codex in recent weeks, I decided to finally finish a long standing project, the Tau Redux.

Basically, it's a codex for 5th edition that increases the power to match the new standard, while attempting to keep the Tau as the Tau, and keeping their unique niche.

Theoretical Foundations of the Tau Redux

At first the Tau Redux was simply a hodgepdge of ideas that I collected from the internet, my friends, local players, and myself. The original ideas were insanely wacky, and not fair on any normal level. I remember designing a tank with five flamers on it *shudder*. Eventually, these ideas were trimmed, and after numerous revisions, the first Tau Redux was published.

The articles on this site (published a long time ago) consist of the 4th generation of the Redux. They represent a culmination of an incredible amount of playtesting, lots of discussions and arguments with friends, and a lot of wacky ideas being filtered out. The reason that the 4th gen came about was, in essence, Apocalypse. This brought on an era of stealing things from Imperial Armour and Epic, and bringing them to mainstream 40k.

Another point to be made about the Redux is the inclusion of the Dal'yth Strike Force and the Sa'cea Infantry Brigades, which were brought by the Eye of Terror Campaign, and were part of the 2nd gen of the Redux. I had always envisioned a force of Tau consisting mostly of battlesuits, and with the Ulthwe Strike Force, as well as GW fleshing out the Tau background more, I was able to make a somewhat viable option. Sadly, I realized that both specializations belong more in Apocalypse than in normal 40k, as GW is more and more scaling back specific army types in favor of making the codex more flexible. I wholeheartedly agree with this premise and will continue to do so in that spirit.

The newest (5th gen) version of the Tau Redux came about when BM15 posted ideas for a 5th edition Codex: Tau Empire. Not only did this give me the idea to do this, it also gave me a perfect format for doing so. I had always wondered how to streamline the Tau Redux 4th gen for the new look of 5th edition, but I never got around to it. With the formating done, a new fire was born in me to take up the project again.

With the advent of the 5th gen Tau Redux, I began asking myself some pretty heavy questions. Did I want to make a bunch of new weapons and wargear? Did I want my special characters of GWs? How do I keep units from being overpowered? What new special rules should be included? How do I keep things short, sweet, and simple? These were all questions that I considered when I began remaking the redux (again...)

Eventually, I decided on a few things. First, keep the core of what GW had in place. The current Codex: Tau Empire is incredible, but it lacks the flare that I know it can get. That's the reason I made the redux in the first place! As such, I wanted to do a redux that focused more on bringing the Tau into 5th edition as much as possible.

With that said, I also wanted to consolidate the Tau forces. Many great ideas such as heavy gun drones and the piranha TX-42 were scattered across many books (mainly IA 3), and also on Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. In wanting to use these ideas, I recalled how the newer codexes consolidated much of their material (making Rangers and Pathfinders one option, the option for space marine bikes to be troops), and I wanted to do this for the Tau as well.

As for special characters, I decided to keep just the current ones (and older ones) and bring them all into one book. This includes, Farsight, Shadowsun, Aun'shi, Aun'va, R'myr, and Anghor Prok. This is a fair amount of special characters, and a good variety, and we should be able to work with them.

Something else I never liked was the lack of distinction of the Tau HQs over elites (unless you count our priests). BS 4 and 5 crisis suits is very bland, and so I strived to make our HQs different the other choices we had, and to make them more than "badass".

In conclusion, I sincerely hope that each member of Tau Online will help me in this endeavor, and help playtest!

Here's the link to the four parts: http://www.freewebs.com/shasocastris/tauredux.htm.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2008, 01:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Tau Redux 5th Generation

Those Honor Guard are ridiculously priced. 100 pts?

Most of the rest is pretty playable, it's interesting how you did the vehicles. Not really a price drop for most, since the Disruption pod is all but standard...

I'm so glad you amended the Stealth fields in regards to Nightfighting, it was retarded the other way. This is also something I forgot to include in my testing (the upgraded fields I mean).

Iridium plating is pretty cool.

All the changes to the weapons, I like. I grinned the most at the CIB for some reason, but the plasma rifle changes made it quite worthy of their costs as well. A very good change vs. a lower price.

I'm slightly disappointed in the stealth suits, but I'll be the first to admit that I'd still play this codex. Granted, I still wouldn't use Vespids or Sky Ray's, but everything else is pretty much fine.

Very Nice work! (I haven't had a chance to review the specials yet, so this is only going on the army list and weapons links).

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2008, 20:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

A mistake: Human auxiliaries appear to cost 55 points when the real cost shoukd be 35 or 40 at the most.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 20:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Nice page name. Got some ideas I'd like to contribute though.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2008, 01:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Not having a go at you here, but I am curious. What's the difference between your thread and mine? They sound pretty much the same.

I will always accept constructive criticism, even if I don't like it
rider_eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2008, 02:08   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider_eragon
Not having a go at you here, but I am curious. What's the difference between your thread and mine? They sound pretty much the same.
His is more of a stream-lining of the Tau Codex though I have grievance with Fusion and Plasma Cannons.

Str 8 AP 2 Blast and it gets no "Gets Hot!" rule?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2008, 02:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

You make no sense. Also, with the Plasma cannons, they don't suffer from overheating, simply because of the HH's cooling internal systems.

I will always accept constructive criticism, even if I don't like it
rider_eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2008, 02:20   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
You make no sense. Also, with the Plasma cannons, they don't suffer from overheating, simply because of the HH's cooling internal systems.
So? As does other race's vehicles. I'm saying just in case you want to give Broadsides the Plasma Cannons.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 03:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Quote:
His is more of a stream-lining of the Tau Codex though I have grievance with Fusion and Plasma Cannons.

He should be using FW stats for the weapons to be honest.
24" S8 AP1, Heavy 1, Small Blast, Melta for the Fusion Cannon.
48" S7 AP2, Heavy 2 for the Plasma Cannon.

This, of course, is assuming they are vehicle mounted. Neither weapon has "Gets Hot!" because it doesn't affect vehicles.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2008, 03:17   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Quote:

He should be using FW stats for the weapons to be honest.
24" S8 AP1, Heavy 1, Small Blast, Melta for the Fusion Cannon.
48" S7 AP2, Heavy 2 for the Plasma Cannon.

This, of course, is assuming they are vehicle mounted. Neither weapon has "Gets Hot!" because it doesn't affect vehicles.
For Plasma Cannon, yes. Put in the "Gets Hot!" rule if you're considering making them Broadside weapons.

For the Fusion Cannon, is alright IMO. But as a AT Blast Weapon? Well, OK. I guess you can use it as an Anti-MEQ weapon which the role should be filled by the Plasma Cannon.