Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drones 2.0
Old 25 Sep 2008, 23:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Drones 2.0

I got to thinking about my post in another thread about how someone should update the Drone Squadron, so I decided to try my hand at it. This is a second attempt at making something and hopefully goes better then my first... so anyway commence the fruit throwing or constructive criticisms, whichever. (Also, the base points and stats are as normal.)

Gun Drone Squadron
Points WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
Gun Drone XX x x x x x x x x x
Squadron: The squadron numbers from 4-8 Gun Drones.
Unit Type: Jump Infantry (jet pack).
Equipment: Twin-linked pulse carbine. A Drone Squadron may replace its twin-linked pulse carbine with another weapon, but if this option is taken then whole squadron must take the same weapon. A Gun Drone may replace its normal equipment with a single flamer for +6 points, single burst cannon for +12 points, or a single missile pod for +18 points.
Character: For +20 points one Drone can have a Central Processor installed that grants the entire squad the fearless (maybe stubborn instead?) universal special rule. If the designated Drone is destroyed this benefit is lost.
Special Rules
Deep Strike: Gun Drones are able to deploy using the Deep Strike mission rule in missions that allow it.

P.S. I am not claiming that Gun Drones are completely terrible or anything like that I just thought they could have been better.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2008, 23:34   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Drones 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate13
I got to thinking about my post in another thread about how someone should update the Drone Squadron, so I decided to try my hand at it. This is a second attempt at making something and hopefully goes better then my first... so anyway commence the fruit throwing or constructive criticisms, whichever. (Also, the base points and stats are as normal.)

Gun Drone Squadron
Points WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
Gun Drone XX x x x x x x x x x
Squadron: The squadron numbers from 4-8 Gun Drones.
Unit Type: Jump Infantry (jet pack).
Equipment: Twin-linked pulse carbine. A Drone Squadron may replace its twin-linked pulse carbine with another weapon, but if this option is taken then whole squadron must take the same weapon. A Gun Drone may replace its normal equipment with a single flamer for +6 points, single burst cannon for +12 points, or a single missile pod for +18 points.
Character: For +20 points one Drone can have a Central Processor installed that grants the entire squad the fearless (maybe stubborn instead?) universal special rule. If the designated Drone is destroyed this benefit is lost.
Special Rules
Deep Strike: Gun Drones are able to deploy using the Deep Strike mission rule in missions that allow it.

P.S. I am not claiming that Gun Drones are completely terrible or anything like that I just thought they could have been better.
Did you mean for other weapons to be twin-linked, or not? If not, then a burst cannon is barely better than the twin-linked carbines.

And an 18-point flamer with JSJ? Might be a bit much, not that I'd argue.
sfogarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2008, 00:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't think firepower is the drone's problem. I would like to see an option to give them leadership 8 at least, or throw a couple of marker drones in there.

If you want rules for burst cannons, look up the heavy gun drones in Imperial Armor: Taros. I think they get twinlinked burst cannons but you can replace one of the burst cannons with a markerlight. It's still only ballistic skill 2, though, and they take a Heavy Support choice rather than a Fast Attack.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2008, 04:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

The weapons are not twin-linked and the weapon changes should be +4 for the flamer, +8 for the burst cannon and +12 for the mssile pod. I guess they were a bit expensive.

I would say the +20 central processor should make them fearless, since stuborn doesn't help them much.

I did look at the heavey gun drones, but I think these are a better representation of what drones that were fast attack choices would be like.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 07:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ooo... i like the idea of gun drones with a missil pod btw sorry for the bad grammer i am using my psp to type all the words.....
95% of teens would go into a panic attack if the jonas brothers were about to jump off the empire state building, copy and paste this if you? are the 5% who would pull up a lawn chair & grab some popcorn and yell JUMP
BITCHES!!!!!
Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote